The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-01-2020, 08:08 PM

Question Bridge Positioning

Is there a reason why people don't make a dummy tail piece that incorporates the 2 "E" strings and then position the bridge so that an accurate tuner gives you the same note open and fretted at the 12th fret? I have done this on two 12 fret guitars so far and am about to do the same to the third. I set the bridge height close at the same time. It seems to me this is more accurate and easier than trying to measure to 1/32". I just use a Z shape bracket that has leather pads to protect the top and end and hold it in down in place with a clamp. An arch top guitar tail piece would be the same.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:31 PM

The reason I don’t is that it isn’t necessary.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:32 AM

Default Each string needs appropriate compensation.

Bridge (saddle) position is something of a compromise with both nylon and steel-string instruments which is why builders usually compensate the saddle for each string.

When positioning the bridge prior to gluing I’m aiming to get the centre of the saddle in such a position as to allow me maximum room for compensating each string. I also see the sense in using a wider saddle to allow for greater compensation but have to admit to not liking the look.

It’s not particularly challenging to position the bridge using a couple of long steel rules which is probably why people don’t use the method you’re suggesting.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:41 AM

Check out Rosa String Works videos on YouTube, he uses a temporary trapeze tailpiece to do what you are suggesting.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:09 AM

I see ads for different gadgets and gizmos to let you position the saddle by trial and error in my various facebook feeds all the time. I think that if you don't have experience with your build to let you simply measure and cut, they could work fine. Pre-slotting a bridge and then using a tailpiece to locate it would seem to me to lend itself to having the bridge on not-square, you could over-compensate with the bridge for an incorrect slot angle and I'd rather have the bridge on square. Nowadays, people tend to finesse the saddle location and then rout the slot on the fully installed bridge, if they need to. I personally think that agonizing over compensation via saddle location in a world of differing string gauges, action heights, playing techniques, inharmonicity, and equal temperament is kind of over done.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:24 AM

I would have to agree with Charles on this, why would this be necessary? Precise measurements are often enough times to get you spot on but if not then you can adjust the bone saddle to perfection. And then you would still have to worry about the other 4 strings too.

But hey it works for you so that's good. There are many ways to accomplish any one thing. How do you mount the tail piece though?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
intonation. bridge