The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 PM

Reverb, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:13 PM

For selling, Facebook Marketplace has been working superbly for me. No fees, no shipping no tax. I have found face to face cash transactions to be far less hassle with absolutely no blowback. Knowing the market (right price) helps, but I have been floored at the geographic reach, healthy number of responses, rapid sales and high total sales $$$. Craig's list never worked this well. I've previously sold quite a lot on ebay but have essentially stopped due to the fees and shipping hassle.
Guild F-1512
Epiphone ES-339
Fender Stratocaster
Old 06-02-2020, 05:39 AM

Reverb is a good option
Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys. It's good to know I'm not alone when it comes to how I feel about selling on eBay

Not sure what to do about my eBay return. My eBay guitar pedal buyer went ahead and made a Return Request claiming that the pedal is defective. eBay gives me a few days to accept or refuse. But the buyer got impatient and shipped the pedal immediately without waiting. He now says he wants a refund outside of the eBay process even though his Return Request case is still open.

Unless my liar buyer closes his Return Refund case with eBay there appears to be nothing I can do now except follow the steps and go through the eBay return process.

Feedback is a non-issue at this point because there's no way this buyer is going to leave me positive feedback. I may report him for abusing the eBay Returns Policy. Perhaps I can also ask eBay to delete his negative feedback. Has anyone here been through that process with eBay? Does it work?

This unpleasant experience with this buyer underlines my reasons for seeking an alternative to eBay. Inadequate seller protection!!! Reverb here I come

Last edited by Al Acuff; 06-02-2020 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:05 AM

I stopped selling on eBay for many reasons. At my low volume, it wasn’t worth the hassle of dealing with buyers claiming something was defective to avoid paying shipping. I also had eBay alter my listings to accept offers when I wanted none. Then eBay charged fees at a higher rate even though I sold items listed under a promotional low rate discount and spent too much time trying to talk with them getting my money back. Then there’s the PayPal deal. On and on.

Listing items on Reverb using my phone is much easier than eBay in my opinion. The entire reverb site looks so much classier and legit. eBay looks like an online flea market. The reverb shipping discounts are huge for guitars. People were citing shipping in the $150 range recently by going to UPS. Reverb quoted me $35 for a 35 pound total weight guitar sufficient box for anywhere in the US. That savings essentially covers the roughly 7 percent card processing and selling fees I’d pay to reverb for an $1800 sale.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion