The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-31-2020, 07:10 PM

Default Fender Paramount PM-2 pickup system

Hi everyone,

Recently unearthed the aforementioned parlour guitar while perusing a lot of stuff I bought as a package from some auction-hunting guy.

I was very surprised to find myself considering a great-playing, great-sounding Fender acoustic. Not sure I ever entertained the thought that this would ever happen. I decided to keep it for myself rather than unload it. Definitely a keeper.

But (there's bound to be a "but") in its previous life, the poor thing got all its electronics butchered. Preamp cables clipped off, UST gone missing, etc. The ex-owner apparently hated USTs.

Now the funny thing is even if this guitar is less than 5 years old, neither Fender nor Fishman are of any help, Fender saying this is a Fishman unit so ask them for replacement parts, Fishman saying we dunno, this was made in Asia for Fender so ask Fender.

So I can't even find what UST was fitted to the thing with the special preamp supposedly matched to the guitar and UST as no one seems to know at Fender and Fishman. The cables I could manage to fit replacements as I own a repair shop and know my way around wiring, but I can't help thinking this is the worst kind of service one can get.

As an aside, over the years I have sent several, very old faulty systems to LR Baggs (if I have to drop the name of a company with great support) to have them replaced for very reasonable flat fees. That's what's needed.

Now... can anyone help me? Just what UST did Fishman use in those PM-2s? Does anyone have a full system they're willing to part with as I can't even test the preamp as it is?

I'm very well aware that I can fit any number of allegedly better systems in there. But as there are already holes in the otherwise very fine body, I'd like to return it to stock.

Thanks for helping.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:36 PM

A specially designed pickup and preamp. That's no help.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/acoust...970322321.html
Old 05-31-2020, 07:41 PM

Well, I knew as much. I find it appalling that both companies are declining responsibility with providing support to such a recent product.

It IS a very fine instrument. It's a shame they are letting it down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair