The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2020, 03:38 PM

Default An EQ pedal / Preamp?

So I have just bought the Fishman Loudbox mini charge for my busking.

At higher volumes when my nylon strings guitar is plugged in (Cordoba GK studio , Fishman Presys Blend), It sounds like rubbish! I am very bummed about this.

I cant seem to find a decent tone. The mids are all the way down both on the amp and on my fishman preamp, and there's still a very unpleasant "middy" tone, squealy, nasali sound.

I am quite positive that it's the pick up's fault, because the amp has been getting very good reviews, and also my guitar sounds way different unplugged (obviously).

So what should I do? I thought of getting an EQ pedal. Maybe a 6 eq band, or maybe the Behringer Adi21 which I head is cheap and awesome. I am not exactly sure which would solve this problem.

If you have more ideas I would love to hear .

**PS - I cant spend too much money because I just bought the amp, so cheap solutions are most welcome!
Old 05-29-2020, 04:43 PM

Are you using it with the mic blended in?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Do other guitars sound ok through the amp? Cone damage can sound ok at lower volume, but fuzz out at higher volume. If youve cut the mid on the amp, Im not sure if an eq would improve things. Sounds like something is wrong, not just out of tweak.

Dave
Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 PM

I just plugged an Adi21 into a Loudbox Mini, played a steel string acoustic guitar with a K&K pickup. To my ears, the Adi21 improved the sound of the Loudbox Mini. The tone seemed to be warmer. I'll keep the Adi21 near the Mini from now on.

I used the 1/4" out on the Adi21 to the instrument input on the Mini.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 05-29-2020, 09:10 PM

It's very likely the pickup as you've suspected. I recommend a pickup upgrade rather than getting an EQ pedal
Old 05-29-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Are you using it with the mic blended in?
The blend is off, because it adds a weird howling affect which i dont like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Do other guitars sound ok through the amp? Cone damage can sound ok at lower volume, but fuzz out at higher volume. If youve cut the mid on the amp, Im not sure if an eq would improve things. Sounds like something is wrong, not just out of tweak.

Dave
I will have to try with other peoples' guitars as well.
I wonder if others experienced the same with the Loudbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I just plugged an Adi21 into a Loudbox Mini, played a steel string acoustic guitar with a K&K pickup. To my ears, the Adi21 improved the sound of the Loudbox Mini. The tone seemed to be warmer. I'll keep the Adi21 near the Mini from now on.

I used the 1/4" out on the Adi21 to the instrument input on the Mini.
I think I will order it as well, as it has some decent mid control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
It's very likely the pickup as you've suspected. I recommend a pickup upgrade rather than getting an EQ pedal
What could be a good pickup upgrade for me? Also how does a replacement work , when the preamp already has been modded for the guitar (in terms of the hole / size)?

Last edited by Odedi; 05-29-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:34 AM

Ok, so I also noticed that those horrible frequencies would be there only when I pick/strum the strings hard at a certain volume.

I checked if it was volume related by upping the gain/master volume and picking / strumming as softly as I can, and those frequencies didnt appear.
Only when I pick a bit harder they appear.

This could very well be the pick up.

Anyway I ordered both the behringer eq700 and the adi21, and hopefully they will be able to eliminate certain obnoxious frequencies.

***Edit: I had a really noisy EQ pedal in my apartment so I decided to give it a go.
I was really able to dial down those pesky 1.6khz frequencies which caused most of the trouble, and was able to get a much better tone.
I still think the pickup is not very good, but having the proper EQ from a pedal can do the trick.
I guess I will have to wait a few weeks before my pedals arrive.

Last edited by Odedi; 05-30-2020 at 02:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification