The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-29-2020, 11:06 AM

Default Ricky Nelson

I was just listening to the Greatest Ricky Nelson hits. I like his style. I suppose he was in competition with Elvis but I like Nelson better. A little too much reverb on some of the songs but the guitar work is excellent. Seemed country to me or maybe it was rock a billy. I never thought of Nelson as a country performer. More a modern crooner maybe.
Im trying out the buds I got with a ripped CD rather than the Youtube rip. The sound is better than the phones just sitting on my head but not as good as when I push the phones tight to my ears. And after using the buds my ears feel/sound, I dont know how to describe it, odd. I dont get that with the phones. I need to try other buds but cant just keep buying to see what I think. Maybe in the fall Ill buy a different set or maybe different phones.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:26 PM

Here's a great Rick Nelson version of that 1930s classic "Love Is The Sweetest Thing," a Ray Noble composition; Nelson of course officially dropped the "y" on his 21st birthday, May 8, 1961. I like to play it as a solo acoustic instrumental.

In the US, the Ray Noble arrangement of "Love Is The Sweetest Thing," with Al Bowlly as singer, was the #3 song for the entire year of 1933.

An aside here: On April 16, 1941, Al Bowlly died when a Luftwaffe parachute mine detonated outside his London residence.

Lead chicken pickin' solo by James Burton, of course--from Nelson's year 1964 lp "The Very Thought Of You" (title track is of course another original by Ray Noble, who first released it in the US in 1934):

Old 05-29-2020, 02:41 PM

At one time, and may still be, the Nelson family was the only family with three generations to score top ten hits in the Billboard charts. Ozzie with his big band, not sure which records, but most likely featured Harriet Hilliard (later Nelson) as the vocalist. Rick of course had a string of top ten hits. Then his twin sons, as Nelson, scored a number one with "Love and Affection" in the 90s.
Ozzie was heavily involved in Rick's career, even played tenor guitar on a cut or two and probably produced some of them as well.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Rick Nelson morphed into a country performer with his Stone Canyon Band in the latter part of his career. I have a great CD of Rick performing live at the Troubadour in 1969...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Con...oubadour,_1969
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-29-2020, 03:15 PM

My best friend insists she was president of the Ricky Nelson Fan Club in her hometown. So, of course I was a little jealous. But I did like the man’s music, especially the Stone Canyon iteration. I liked his version of She Belongs To Me better than Dylan’s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN