The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-28-2020, 09:00 AM

Smile Puppy training advice or resources

We are starting a new adventure in September – getting a dog (puppy). I’ve never had one, but my dear wife grew up with them and longs to have one in the home. I’m gearing up to be a supportive spouse.

Having no “dog sense”, I’m looking for any suggestions on resources (books, video, other?) to help me become a good partner in the puppy training process. I’ve come to realize that if I’m a non-participant (or worse, a dolt that unknowingly undermines things) the process won’t go well. Time to go to school again. Humility is good. 

I would be grateful for any thoughts, or sharing of your experiences on what to do (or not do). Thank you!
Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar circumstance, some 11 years ago, when I got my Boston Terrier... I had not owned a dog since I was in my late teens (then, late 50's), and I had NEVER been anything close to a "conscious" dog owner.

A friend had three Labrador Retrievers, and a shelf full of "dog books"; he gave me license to pick out anything I wanted... and I chose a book called "Just Say Good Dog!", by Linda Goodman (?).

A terrific book, although NOT if you're wanting to train your dog for AKC trials or something like that... this book is all about training your dog to be part of the family. I fond it very effective for my first Boston, and subsequently, my second Boston Terrier (who is now 17 months old, but I've had her since 9 weeks).

One thing you should realize is that you will NEVER stop training your dog! It will need constant "reminders" of what you've already taught her, and you'll always have something new to work with her...

My first Boston was 8 months old when I got her, but little Eve was just a nugget at 9 weeks... puppies demand a LOT of time, and I planned on spending the first three months with Eve as my main focus... I'm really glad I cordoned off that period for her, as it gave me a real "leg-up" on her training and our bonding together.

Remember: what is "cute' as a puppy may not be so cute as an adult dog! Be mindful of the behavior that you encourage; once they learn it, they WILL keep doing it for the rest of their lives!

It's an incredible journey and a marvelous gift to own a dog... have fun!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I've used this book to train all the dogs i've owned. Simple, clear, and incredibly effective. Up to the owner to follow through and be consistent. When I lived in the city, my dog at the time was completely in control off a leash. I was able to walk downtown with him, take the bus, whatever. Had a leash with me, but never needed it. Really struck up a lot of conversations with people having a dog behave so well, folks just love a good dog.

https://www.amazon.com/Communicating.../dp/0764107585
Old 05-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I've used this book to train all the dogs i've owned. Simple, clear, and incredibly effective.
https://www.amazon.com/Communicating.../dp/0764107585
Sounds like a great suggestion!

Would you say the techniques outlined in that book were "what did it", or was it that you had a good/smart dog? Or maybe you're just a natural with dogs?

My parents got a puppy last year - their first in 45 years or so. The dog was really eager to please, but they just weren't seeing success getting her to mind and behave. They searched around and found a dog trainer - which worked great. The dog is super friendly and happy, minds well - just a really good outcome.

To me, it definitely seems more organic to train the dog yourself, vs bringing to a "trainer" - but I think trainers are totally an option!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 AM

I grew up with dogs, have had them for much of my married life bringing the kids up.

my pop breeded Siberians for a while when I lived at home. (Beautiful creatures, very hard to train. Especially female Siberians)

The only advice I can give you is "Trian him/her" Either with a private trainer or at least obedience school. You should want to do this, and you want regret it. Leash training (walking them) is as important as house breaking. The sooner you start, the easier it will be.

One of the best dogs we ever had was a mix breed. Part lab, part ridgeback.
He was smart, and loved everyone. Very easy to work with. I had a private trainer work with me for a few weeks when he was like 3 months old (that's when we rescued him) and I was able to train this pup for hand signals. Sit, Heel, Lie down, Up, Come, Stay.. and he just did it.

He was with us 17 years, (Buddy).. Best dog we ever had. We all fell apart when he passed but man what a great hound he was.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:11 AM

We're on our fourth Bernese Mt Dog puppy. The first taught us a lot. Before you train your dog, I'd suggest training yourself. A great place to start is this book. https://www.amazon.com/Good-Owners-G.../dp/0446675385
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM

The biggest mistake people make is failing to be consistent and failing to picture how a dog thinks in a given situation.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

There are many books out there and probably all provide some version of sound canine training advice. As a long-time behaviorist and a Behavior Analyst, I would sum up good training in a single sentence:

Reinforce the behaviors that you want, and don't reinforce the bad behaviors that you don't want.

Do make a fun game and bonding time after your dog does a desirable behavior such as pooping/peeing outdoors or coming when it's called. Don't make a fun game with bonding time after your dog does something that you don't want it to do such pooping/peeing indoors unless you're paper training and that is the desired behavior or jumping on people. I'm one who firmly believes that there are no bag dogs, just bad owners who either permit or actively reinforce undesirable behaviors...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-28-2020, 11:59 AM

Awesome advice and resources - thank you to all! I've reserved the two suggested books from my town's library, and am thinking hard about the idea of a trainer or obedience school.

I also appreciate the excellent advice - getting my head into the dog's, reinforcing good and not reinforcing bad behavior, and the idea that training is a lifelong process, not a short-term one. Reinforces my sense that dog training is on me, not on the dog.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The biggest mistake people make is failing to be consistent and failing to picture how a dog thinks in a given situation.
@Herb wins.

They're pack animals. Understand a hierarchy where you're always in charge but that doesn't mean you're a jerk.

The consistency also applies to how much true attention and exercise they get. Some breeds are easier than others. Always walk 1-2 miles in the morning and again later. That's good for dog and owner.

Be careful to not be one of the owners always giving the dog a treat (food) for about everything they do that's just what should be expected good behavior. Don't have them on a leash all the time. Get them trained to follow you, not you follow them.

Good luck!

P.S. So far the dog rules have worked out well for parenting. We suggest it for kids too. Establish yes, no, sit, stay and come early. You say those things and not scream or keep repeating them.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Sounds like a great suggestion!

Would you say the techniques outlined in that book were "what did it", or was it that you had a good/smart dog? Or maybe you're just a natural with dogs?

My parents got a puppy last year - their first in 45 years or so. The dog was really eager to please, but they just weren't seeing success getting her to mind and behave. They searched around and found a dog trainer - which worked great. The dog is super friendly and happy, minds well - just a really good outcome.

To me, it definitely seems more organic to train the dog yourself, vs bringing to a "trainer" - but I think trainers are totally an option!
I would say that Zeke was a smart dog, and a dog that wanted to please. But with other dogs I've also had success. I think I'm good with dogs, but I'm good because of pure love, and the lessons learned in that book. Consistency in the ENTIRE "pack", and learning how a dog thinks.

Consistency with the pack means significant others, kids, close friends, and anyone else interacting with the dog has to get on board, particularly during the training period. What you never want is someone who consistently interacts with the dog not getting on board with the particular commands and scenarios. I've been successful getting people on board, and that book is such an easy read anyone gets it and can understand the motivation.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Be careful to not be one of the owners always giving the dog a treat (food) for about everything they do that's just what should be expected good behavior. Don't have them on a leash all the time. Get them trained to follow you, not you follow them...
To be clear, dogs don't inherently know what constitutes good behavior. The job of the owner is to teach and reinforce it. There are books written about schedules of reinforcement. Initially you want your dog to attend to you, and you want your dog to see you as the boss as well as the purveyor of good things. Keep in mind that reinforcement isn't just dog treats. In fact, dogs can satiate on edibles. Strictly speaking, reinforcement is something that happens after the desired behavior which increases the future frequency of that desired behavior.

As your dog increasingly attends to you, you'll want to stretch out the schedule of reinforcement. Saying, "Good dog" with a lot of excitement in your voice, playing tug of war with a certain toy or a quick game of fetch can all be reinforcers. Just keep in mind that if the desired behavior doesn't increase in frequency, then whatever you're doing is not a reinforcer. While teaching kids with autism, I actually heard a staff member complain that no matter how much candy he gave a certain kid, the kid just wouldn't do the desired behavior.

Moral of the story is a lot of things can be reinforcers, but only if they increase the frequency of the desired behavior re-occurring in the future...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM

Like Gary Larson said in his strip; What dogs really hear;

-----blah, blah, blah, blah, Ginger, blah, blah etc.

I bought a book, "Dog Training for Dummies". Seems like until they're about 18 months old they don't accept you as the head of the pack and then the sentence I liked best was, "This too will pass".

(Trainer/Owner?) of two Dobermans that I miss terribly. 10/6/1998 and 11/9/2011, one never forgets.

Fog
Old 05-28-2020, 01:48 PM

Women, for some reason, I don’t know why, make excellent dog whisperers. I sort of think it is their much gentler nature and mothering instinct that the puppies respond to. And honestly, if you have never had a dog, take yourself out of the training equation all together. It takes a lifetime to understand dog behavior. If you have never had a dog, you don’t know how to read a dog. Whatever successes your wife will have, you will undo.
Sorry for being blunt, but it’s people that make bad dogs, not on purpose either. They just don’t know any better.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Women, for some reason, I don’t know why, make excellent dog whisperers. I sort of think it is their much gentler nature and mothering instinct that the puppies respond to...
When I was training my dog for search and rescue way back when, for reinforcement we used playful behavior with exaggerated excitement in our voices when our dogs made a find. Generally, the female handlers were much better at this than the males handlers although being a teacher of Special Needs students, I was able to use my voice for reinforcement. However, in general the women were much better at sharing playful reinforcement while the men were much more reserved and seemed to feel uncomfortable with this...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic