The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-23-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald fretboard ... chalky?

I do not own a CF guitar, but I am sincerely teetering ...

I very nearly pulled the trigger on the red Emerald X20 that was in stock (up until yesterday-ish), but alas, I pondered for too long and it's gone.

One of the things that I liked about that specific guitar was that the fretboard looked very deep black, unlike many others whose fretboards look "chalky" or grey under the bright photo lights.

Can anyone tell me if this chalky look is something that wears off, or is that lighter "cast" permanent?

Thanks for tolerating such a noob inquiry ...

~ Paul
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 PM

Only have experience with their previous shiny boards...I believe they're brushed now. But Emerald's photos are so drastically over-lit, I'm guessing that's why the fretboards often look grey and odd.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:38 PM

not sure what you mean by "chalky". my X30 has a textured fretboard (it is not completely smooth) and so lighting can reveal the nuances of the texture. FWIW, i don't really feel/notice it when i'm playing but i'm no professional player either.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Well, if the fretboards are "chalky", then they would be of interest to Emerald owners who also play pool.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well, if the fretboards are "chalky", then they would be of interest to Emerald owners who also play pool.

Tony
or a-cue-stick guitar.

sorry.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
or a-cue-stick guitar.

sorry.
Well, there is a new custom idea for Emerald for a travel guitar.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyld View Post
Only have experience with their previous shiny boards...I believe they're brushed now. But Emerald's photos are so drastically over-lit, I'm guessing that's why the fretboards often look grey and odd.
That’s exactly why - my X20 has the older, glossy black fretboard, and my X20-7 has the newer, matte version. It’s certainly lighter in colour, but by no means ‘chalky’. It has a visible wood-like grain to it.

I can’t feel the difference between them while playing, and frankly, I’d be skeptical of anyone who said they could.

I don’t think Emerald does themselves any favours with the studio shots - while they really ‘pop’, they aren’t an accurate representation of what the guitars really look like under normal lighting. You’ll get a much better idea from watching the regular shipping videos - the lighting is more subdued, and the end results much closer to reality.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald fretboard ... chalky?

while this is pretty much the response I expected, I gotta be honest, the situation leaves me underwhelmed ...

so the lighting required to show the veneers and cf weave to their best advantage makes the fretboard (sometimes) look faded and grossly mismatched (IMO) to their otherwise sleek and maserati-like countenance ... ?

I must be misunderstanding something here ... I can’t be the only one so shallow as to consider aesthetics a premium.
Or is it not as exaggerated as it seems?
Emerald aficionados, please help me be enamored ... I really want to be, but I have never been a fan of wearing brown shoes with a tuxedo ...
Old 05-24-2020, 08:53 AM

You use the term chalkie. To me it looks more like a natural wood fretboard. I have a brand new X20 and to me the fretboards are looks just as premium as the rest of the guitar. I am glad it’s not glossy.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 AM

I already have several Emerald guitars with the older glossy fret board. (My Rainsong, Composite Acoustics, and Blackbird guitars are all glossy fret boards too). My new custom X20 coming some time later this year will have the matte unidirectional CF veneer for the fret board. Although the thought briefly crossed my mind, I am sure that the new version will be just fine too. I assume that it will look like fine grained ebony in person. Emerald is simply not going to put out a product that looks tacky and cheap. Hope this helps calm your concerns.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
while this is pretty much the response I expected, I gotta be honest, the situation leaves me underwhelmed ...

so the lighting required to show the veneers and cf weave to their best advantage makes the fretboard (sometimes) look faded and grossly mismatched (IMO) to their otherwise sleek and maserati-like countenance ... ?

I must be misunderstanding something here ... I can’t be the only one so shallow as to consider aesthetics a premium.
Or is it not as exaggerated as it seems?
Emerald aficionados, please help me be enamored ... I really want to be, but I have never been a fan of wearing brown shoes with a tuxedo ...
As has been suggested, you will get a better idea of how it looks by watching a video shot in the stockroom. Although that will still be much brighter than the average room. Here is the latest.

As far as I can tell the "chalkyness" is simply sheen from the lighting.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 05-24-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Here are a couple of quick iPhone shots I just took - both guitars in the same light (indoor, daylight, no sun.)

Not the greatest, but you should get the idea of the difference between the two materials. I really should have cleaned the finger gunk off the shiny one

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Guest 928

My X7 and X10 electric guitars have distinctly different fret board coloration. The 7 is black, the 10 looks chalky. I much prefer the 7 black and think the chalky 10 board looks vague and not nearly as clean and striking as the 7 .
Old 05-24-2020, 07:32 PM

i can't post pics but my new X30 fretboard looks very similar to eatswodo's 2nd photo.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:49 AM

Could you say it's a "satin" or "matte" finish vs "gloss"?

"Chalky" denotes to my mind a "feel" I wouldn't want to experience on a fretboard. Hard to move about, pulls on fingertips, etc.

At least these photos, IMO, simply don't look "chalky", as I understand "chalky". Just wondering if this word is the best word to describe the fretboard look and texture.

I know many prefer satin or matte for necks because it's easier for the hand to glide and move about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber