The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-23-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Custom Warmoth 24.75" Scale Conversion Neck on a Strat?

Has anybody played a Stratocaster with a Custom Warmoth 24.75" Scale Conversion Neck with 10"-16" Compound Radius? If so, what are your thoughts???
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-23-2020, 07:54 AM

Hey RP, I haven't played one but I've thought about a conversion neck for many years so this is a great thread. What guitar are you looking to put it on?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 AM

Warmouth necks are top line, very good, so I think it would play great. Think Les Paul made right, but Stratocaster. Neck profile and width would be key.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey RP, I haven't played one but I've thought about a conversion neck for many years so this is a great thread. What guitar are you looking to put it on?
Dru, it's a Robert Cray Strat that has one already installed...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Dru, it's a Robert Cray Strat that has the Warmoth already installed...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM

I did it and it worked great. You have to do a set up of course.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:36 PM

They are good, but known to lose a little twang factor with the shortened scale length. If you think F type guitars have a little too much treble, then perfect.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I've had conversion scale necks on my personal t-style guitars for quite a few years, I can't see any downside. My necks have a 12 inch radius, so no comments on a compound radius, just that it's a nice idea, greater radius in the lower section of the neck for chording, flatter radius up high for bending. I do both all up and down the neck so a 12 inch radius for me is perfect.

With a conversion scale neck there's less string tension so bending is a little easier, shorter reach to the first position so there's less wear and tear on the wrist,.. little less distance between the frets so some chords are easier for me and when soloing the shorter scale seems to make my phrasing more fluid. All of those benefits would apply to a strat as well.

Some folks will say the conversion scale will result in less twang on a tele on the bottom strings and that's probably true w/ less string tension. You can compensate for that w/ a high quality bridge plate, either cold rolled steel or stainless steel and in a traditional three barrel tele style bridge you can use an aluminum, steel or a titanium saddle for the "E" and "A" strings and increase the twang if that's your thing.

Last edited by stephenT; 06-04-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:12 AM

Default twang on

Having extremely short fingers, I put a Warmoth conversion neck on a tele partscaster. The shorter scale does have lower tension, thus a little less snap but teles are not going to be short twang anyway. You can compensate by using balanced tension strings or just go up one gauge. Warmoth necks are great, the compound radius makes bending up high on the neck a piece of cake.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars