The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2020, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default New Genzler Acoustic Array pro

Just wanted to give a short review on a new amp and PA combo (older JBL EON G2's).

The amp by itself....warm, articulate, nice power. Effects are simply reverb and chorus with a 4 band eq mix of low, mid, mid high and high gains. Early review with about 10 hrs playing on it so far but very impressed with the mix of simple and sound quality.

For those are always talking about gigging hauling equip, which i currently DONT do, but 30 yrs of PA work I tried the following because why not...I got some time. Simple XLRs out to the 2 self powered JBL's. Those being 300 watt self powered with basic bass treble, this simple 3 piece IMHO could handle a room of 100+ with CLEAN warm power making the genzler your perfect amp / monitor. Set up in garage and at minimal volumes with 2 guitars going....It...was...AWESOME.

The amp by itself i think could be easily a good little 50 person combo. Is it AER warm etc? Depends on your ear. I really like Genz Benz early yrs stuff before the fender debacle. At the size and power of this single 10" with 4 midrange / tweeters., so far reeeeaaallllly impressed.

For the record and all fairness. I happened to locate one through a dealer that was a house demo and got it for a good price. Would i pay retail @ 999 for this in comparison? Absolutely!
Old 05-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the nice review. I have an old (vintage?) Genz-Benz Shenandoah jr, and never understood why they are not more popular. My guess is poor marketing and distribution. But a mighty fine system.

Dave F
Old 05-10-2020, 04:07 PM

When i was looking into this unit i couldn't find anyone who said vocals sounded good through it. Would love to hear a comparison between this unit and the Fishman artist. In theory, i think, vocals should sound better through the Genzler...due to the range of the 2.25" speakers.. Does that make sense?
Old 05-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
When i was looking into this unit i couldn't find anyone who said vocals sounded good through it. Would love to hear a comparison between this unit and the Fishman artist. In theory, i think, vocals should sound better through the Genzler...due to the range of the 2.25" speakers.. Does that make sense?
I reviewed this amp in August of last year where I compared it to my Schertler amps which are known to have good vocal tone, and I specifically said after three gigs with it... "The Genzer Pro Array is good sounding, and where it shines, is it's ability to project vocals. There is plenty of gain on tap when plugging microphones into the XLRs. More gain than the Schertler Jam 200. That is the Schertler Jam 200 achilles heal (not so on the Jam 400)".

Besides good projection, and serious preamp gain on tap, the vocal TONE is pretty good, but it does take a bit of time learning how to use the EQ to bring out the best in microphones.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Thanks for the nice review. I have an old (vintage?) Genz-Benz Shenandoah jr, and never understood why they are not more popular. My guess is poor marketing and distribution. But a mighty fine system.

Dave F
Couldnt agree more
Old 05-10-2020, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Appreciate your review. I’ve always loved Genz’s ... had a Shenandoah and absolutely loved it, the only reason I don’t have it is because I my current amp is an LR Baggs Acoustic Research, which all things considered is the only amp I’ve ever played through whose sound I liked more than the Genz!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-11-2020, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
My take in this area as my singing is far from ahhhhh.....good:. My good friend whom is a phenomenal singer, stopped by last night to join the jam for a few tunes. She can literally nail almost any style, octave, key...she and her guy do a lot of 2 person coffee shop / weddings etc. She raved about her feeling of the vocal sound and we did 2-3 quick tunes together last night. They both like the Fishmans a lot and have used the larger one for a couple yrs Me not so much. She felt it was not even comparable. I had to agree. Now ive never had the pleasure MYSELF to play through a Schertler, but love their sound. Ive played through an AER a few yrs back and had i had enough experience with those, I may have spent the extra $$$, but frankly I might not have. My goal with this was wanting the best possible sound COMBINED with ease of use, features. Keep in mind so far, im not a pedal / effects guy yet at all. This was more "what gives me the most SIMPLE versatility / quality sound all in one". With those 2 self powered running as PA fed from this amp, I was simply blown away by the end result / ease / simple / sound quality / volume clarity when pushed a little. I would say for 1k area amps, this should be on anyones test list. Personally i think it blows Fishmans out of the water in EVERY category and depending your needs, I would honestly say based on my limited experience with AER / SCHERTLER...if youre shopping those, you might wanna give it a listen / test drive.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Just a thought...based on your last post, i wonder if you tried the bose L1 compact? They now sell for around 800, and transport set up easily. It has built in tone match To optimize acoustic and vocals. I think it does a fine job. And fills a room like bose is known for.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:48 AM

I'm really enjoying my Array Pro. Effects are meh, but I'm using an Align reverb pedal, and I don't use chorus anyway. I use a Yamaha Silent Guitar, and the results are stunning. It's a great sounding amp.

Last edited by Spenceroo; 05-12-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceroo View Post
I'm really enjoying my Array Pro. Effects are meh, but I'm using an Align reverb pedal, and I don't use chorus. I use a Yamaha Silent Guitar, and the results are stunning. It's a great sounding amp.
I agree exactly. I figure if and when i want effects, putting together an acoustic pedal board with whatever can be added as needed, wanted. Agree on the built in effects. There...ok. for as little as I would use them they do enough. I again wanted it for the Simplicity and when I wanted to pop in those two speakers not have to do a whole ton with mixers etc. The overall pkg of sound, power, weight, versatility with simplicity.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:38 PM

Default New Genzler Acoustic Array pro

I absolutely love my Elite Acoustics D6-8 (for smaller rooms) and Schertler Roy (for bigger rooms), but it sounds like I would be very happy with the Array Pro as well.

Either way, I love having just one amp to set up and take down instead of a full PA system. Yes, for a full band you still need a PA, but for just me and my guitar, a really great amp is so much easier.

What really surprises people is just how good the audio is when they see me. A really great amp can sound incredible and every bit as good as the best PA systems.

Now to make it even easier, get small xVive style wireless systems for your Mic and guitar. When I play, it’s just me, my guitar, my mic, and my amp with no wires between us! Just the power cord for my amp when I use the Schertler Roy. When I use my D6-8, there isn’t even a power cord! And the sound is fantastic!
Old 05-12-2020, 12:19 AM

I really wish people would either provide images or links to stuff they are recommending/reviewing!! Makes the thread that much more engaging and interesting to look at than just text!!

For those of you too lazy to google it yourself, here's a link!!
https://www.genzleramplification.com...tic-array-pro/
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-12-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post

Dave F
Agreed. I have a Shenandoah 150 (pre-Fender) and it is a great acoustic amp. But these new Genzlers keep calling my name....
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Agreed. I have a Shenandoah 150 (pre-Fender) and it is a great acoustic amp. But these new Genzlers keep calling my name....
Truth. I was actually checking everywhere for some of the last years Genz Benz Shenandoah 300LT. Very similar amps as the new series. None to be found. I am very happy with this amp and for my purposes it would take a lot for me to switch up to AER or Schertler etc. Great amps but my needs don't justify that price point.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:44 PM

I have an older Genz Benz Shenandoah as well. Not many of those made it over to the UK. Gives such a great live sound and as has been mentioned, very good on vocals too. I've no doubt the new ones must be fine amps, I don't really need one, but I'd love to try one...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification