The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
Hi Doug,
That looks delicious.
The color palette in this guitars resin parts sure reminds me of the ones applied in the one Joel builds for me currently.
As we started with the intention to use stone slices for those inlays originally and couldn‘t in the end the resin filled in quite literally.. we call it Michauderite... as if it was a stone... so the name is taken.. but it sure looks great ��
Funny how stuff like this happens simultaneously.
Even better if it creates instruments that both look good and sound great.
All the best with this one!
Curious to follow and to see it evolves !
Cheers & stay healthy
Lonzo
Hi Lonzo, I've been following your Michaud OM-R build and in addition to the spectacular tone woods I love Joel's tasteful use of colored resin material in the rosette and back strip. Thank you for your comments and good luck with your new guitar(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Love the rosette, Doug--it's really looking great so far!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Talk about a modern looking rosette! Wowsa!
Thank you both Kevin and Dennis I'm really happy with the way the rosette turned out too!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Robbins R.1ca Engleman Spruce - Madagascar Rosewood

Next shot is the assembled box before binding, purfling and bevels are installed and then a few more in-progress pictures of binding, purfling and preparation for installation of the bevels. I love how Tyler was able to match the grain lines in the madagascar rosewood back as they continue through the bevel (last picture).

Thanks for following along!
Old 04-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Love how Tyler does his bevels--such precision and attention to details all the way around!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Love how Tyler does his bevels--such precision and attention to details all the way around!
I would have to agree with that observation Kevin. Here's a few pics with the bevels installed...

[IMG][/IMG]

and a couple of close-up shots of the binding and purfling on the back and top:

Thanks for following along...stay safe and be well!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:26 PM

I have to say, I am super impressed with this build. It all looks so very very good from the woods and choices in color and the artistry of the rosette. It is really quite amazing. My eyes are being open to Mr. Robbins.

I don't know what to say about BIG right now Doug. I want to try again this year yet, but I just don't know. I was thinking August or Sept., but now they say that we may have round two in the fall. I am not sure when the other shows are trying to reschedule and Woodstock is in Oct. The thought of trying to put all the pieces back together again which takes me 8-10 months truly, to only have to cancel again is a pretty daunting thought. I am toying with the idea of maybe a smaller version that is not so reliant on people from across the pond to travel? Trying for a headliner from the US maybe?
Old 04-24-2020, 05:29 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Doug, your guitar looks fantastic. Maybe it's just me but I love a cutaway tip where the sides join without binding. Looks like the wood grain crosses the sharp point. Excellent job by Tyler on that. Schweeet!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have to say, I am super impressed with this build. It all looks so very very good from the woods and choices in color and the artistry of the rosette. It is really quite amazing. My eyes are being open to Mr. Robbins.
Thanks Tom I am really pleased with the way this one is taking shape. I promise to bring this with me to the next B.I.G. so you and the other attendees can look check it out in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Doug, your guitar looks fantastic. Maybe it's just me but I love a cutaway tip where the sides join without binding. Looks like the wood grain crosses the sharp point. Excellent job by Tyler on that. Schweeet!
Good eye Dennis, the grain lines do align perfectly across the tip. I'd like to say I asked for this but it's really just Tyler's attention to the details.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

The R.1ca model has the neck join the body at the 13th fret. The mahogany neck has a Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard with colored resin fret markers except at the 12th fret which will have dual ebony fret markers. There is also a well executed modern white purfling treatment on the fingerboard. Kudos to Tom Dalia (aka Frettie Mercury) for the precision cuts.

Tyler uses square ebony side markers framed in silver for this guitar:

Full fingerboard:

Thank you for viewing from the comfort of your home...be safe!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 04-24-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 04-24-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Thanks Tom I am really pleased with the way this one is taking shape. I promise to bring this with me to the next B.I.G. so you and the other attendees can look check it out in person.

Good eye Dennis, the grain lines do align perfectly across the tip. I'd like to say I asked for this but it's really just Tyler's attention to the details.
The only other luthier I have seen who takes the trouble to make his purfling having aligned grain is John Slobod who book matches his wood purfling. To be grouped with him in any discussion of fit and finish is very very high praise as there is hardly another luthier like him in OCDness.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:15 PM

Looks really nice. I'm more traditional in what I prefer for a look, but this is really well done!
Old 04-25-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I met Tyler a couple of years ago at the show in Pennsylvania. I was really impressed with the look and sound of his guitars. I was also very close to taking delivery of another custom made guitar so I couldn't quite justify in my mind buying another. His work is exceptional.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The only other luthier I have seen who takes the trouble to make his purfling having aligned grain is John Slobod who book matches his wood purfling. To be grouped with him in any discussion of fit and finish is very very high praise as there is hardly another luthier like him in OCDness.
Interestingly, I commissioned this guitar after spending time with Tyler at the luthier's exhibit during last Summer's Swannanoa's Guitar Week which included Jon Slobod, Tyler Robbins, Jonathan Razo and Dream Guitars. Here are veteran luthiers Jon Slobod and Gerald Sheppard checking out the guitars from the two younger luthiers. Gerald is playing Tyler's smaller model a cocobolo R.2ca. The other guitars on Tyler's table were guitars from Bryan Galloup and Sam Guidry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleySJ View Post
Looks really nice. I'm more traditional in what I prefer for a look, but this is really well done!
Thanks SVSJ, This is definitely not your father's Oldsmobile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I met Tyler a couple of years ago at the show in Pennsylvania. I was really impressed with the look and sound of his guitars. I was also very close to taking delivery of another custom made guitar so I couldn't quite justify in my mind buying another. His work is exceptional.
I had a similar experience with Tyler at Woodstock in 2017, but bought one from him a year later at Woodstock before commissioning this build.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Matching up grain and purfling lines:

Happy Saturday
Old 04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Tyler had a couple of Madagascar RW bridge blanks to choose from and we went with the darker of the two:

A last splash of colored resin on the end graft. I'm having Tyler install a K&K mini in this guitar so we went with an interrupted wedge, following the theme of the back strip, to allow for the end jack.

Also shown a first look fitting the Gotoh 510 minis in the headstock.

Thanks for having a look!
Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Music soothes the soul!

All around Doug, I would say this one is a home run! Just gorgeous! Cannot wait to hear it sometime.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop