The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the nice review. Can you offer comparison to the fishman tonedeq? They sound similar, but maybe more control with a tonedeq?
Old 05-31-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Thanks for the nice review. Can you offer comparison to the fishman tonedeq? They sound similar, but maybe more control with a tonedeq?
I own both - whilst I prefer the effects and the compression on the tonedeq the Trace Elliot Pedal is just a little more versatile than the tonedeq, and it’s also put together much better than the tonedeq.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 06-01-2020, 07:23 AM

Nick....do you notice a volume increase when you engage the Chorus effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I own both - whilst I prefer the effects and the compression on the tonedeq the Trace Elliot Pedal is just a little more versatile than the tonedeq, and it’s also put together much better than the tonedeq.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:21 AM

Am I the only one that feels the Chorus effect on the Transit A is almost unusable? It’s so over the top at any setting above 9 o’clock and just sounds
weird to me. I like everything else about this pedal but the Chorus is frustrating me.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Am I the only one that feels the Chorus effect on the Transit A is almost unusable? It’s so over the top at any setting above 9 o’clock and just sounds
weird to me. I like everything else about this pedal but the Chorus is frustrating me.
I only like chorus at those lower settings and I get the chorus sound that I like, so it's working for me. Just picked up a used one here on the AGF.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:57 AM

How low do you set it? Do you also find that it increases overall guitar volume as well when you switch it on?

Also...I thought you said you returned your Transit A and went with the AD10 instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I only like chorus at those lower settings and I get the chorus sound that I like, so it's working for me. Just picked up a used one here on the AGF.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
How low do you set it? Do you also find that it increases overall guitar volume as well when you switch it on?

Also...I thought you said you returned your Transit A and went with the AD10 instead?
I'll have to set it up and see where the chorus knob ends up. I don't think I noticed a volume increase, but it's sure nice to get that stereo image.

I did return my Transit A and my main board has the AD10, a big footswitch, a TC Mic Mechanic and a TC Harmony Singer. I picked up the used, like new, Transit A because it was a great price and I can use it when I don't need a looper or vocal processing. Plus, I'm putting together another board with a Ditto X4 and my long-neglected Beat Buddy that the Transit A can sit on.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:54 AM

Thanks...I'm curious where you set yours. Unfortunately I can't get a stereo image because I only use one powered speaker. I love everything about the Transit A but the Chorus just seems way over the top and unnatural.
How do you compare the AD10 with the Transit A?

Quote:
I'll have to set it up and see where the chorus knob ends up. I don't think I noticed a volume increase, but it's sure nice to get that stereo image.

I did return my Transit A and my main board has the AD10, a big footswitch, a TC Mic Mechanic and a TC Harmony Singer. I picked up the used, like new, Transit A because it was a great price and I can use it when I don't need a looper or vocal processing. Plus, I'm putting together another board with a Ditto X4 and my long-neglected Beat Buddy that the Transit A can sit on.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks...I'm curious where you set yours. Unfortunately I can't get a stereo image because I only use one powered speaker. I love everything about the Transit A but the Chorus just seems way over the top and unnatural.
I just get the stereo image at home with headphones. I could do it at a gig with a pair of Bose S1s, but I tend to opt for mono.

I just sat down the TA and my chorus knob is set about 10 o'clock. Mine doesn't get really wacky until after 3 o'clock.

The AD10 is more of a pure tone and a superior preamp in my opinion. Like most Trace Elliot acoustic amps, the Transit A puts the Trace sound stamp on the guitar, even without the pre-shape button pressed. It's not bad, but it's not pure. Definitly something you could easily love or hate. I like it enough for what I do, but if I were playing fingerpicking acoustic tunes one night, I'd opt for the AD10.

The AD10 also has a built in looper which is an advantage. I set the footswitches for boost, tap tempo, tuner/mute and two outboard switches for the looper. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me a FS to turn chorus on and off and I have to bend over to do that. There are lots of other features in the AD10 that you may or not need, like two inputs, automatic feedback suppression etc... that are not on the Transit (which does have a single manual notch control). I'll be keeping my AD10 on my main board, but this Transit A will be really handy for other things and the new board with the Ditto X4 midi synced to a Beat Buddy drum pedal.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:50 PM

I wonder if it’s because I am going into my TCH Harmony GTX first and then into the Transit A? I am using the “thru” output but maybe it’s adding to the signal somehow. I’ll have to try it without it.

Quote:
I just get the stereo image at home with headphones. I could do it at a gig with a pair of Bose S1s, but I tend to opt for mono.

I just sat down the TA and my chorus knob is set about 10 o'clock. Mine doesn't get really wacky until after 3 o'clock.

The AD10 is more of a pure tone and a superior preamp in my opinion. Like most Trace Elliot acoustic amps, the Transit A puts the Trace sound stamp on the guitar, even without the pre-shape button pressed. It's not bad, but it's not pure. Definitly something you could easily love or hate. I like it enough for what I do, but if I were playing fingerpicking acoustic tunes one night, I'd opt for the AD10.

The AD10 also has a built in looper which is an advantage. I set the footswitches for boost, tap tempo, tuner/mute and two outboard switches for the looper. Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me a FS to turn chorus on and off and I have to bend over to do that. There are lots of other features in the AD10 that you may or not need, like two inputs, automatic feedback suppression etc... that are not on the Transit (which does have a single manual notch control). I'll be keeping my AD10 on my main board, but this Transit A will be really handy for other things and the new board with the Ditto X4 midi synced to a Beat Buddy drum pedal.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I've stopped using any chorus on acoustic these days but when I did I found that chorus in mono is a completely different animal than stereo. In stereo there's always some part of the sound that retains the warmth and the sweeping pulls the focus but it always exists somewhere in the stereo field while in mono the sound is sometimes warm but often harsh (this may account for a perceived lift in volume) and the focus seems never to settle.

I began using chorus on a Strat (Boss pedal, ce1 I think) but I really fell in love with it when using my Tak ef360s with a Roland jc120 (signal split between amp and PA). That was obviously unsustainable so I went back to pedals (Boss stereo chorus) and others, Zoom, Yamaha AG Stomp, Alesis rack unit, but the mono/stereo issue I found with all of them. I finally got fed up with trying and failing to hit the nail consistently so went for "simple but effective" with a Tonedexter.

If you're keen on using chorus I'd suggest trying it in stereo somehow at a gig, preferably with a decent PA. If that works for you then good cheap 2ch DI boxes now exist that will cut the clutter to a minimum.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I wonder if it’s because I am going into my TCH Harmony GTX first and then into the Transit A? I am using the “thru” output but maybe it’s adding to the signal somehow. I’ll have to try it without it.
I haven't had a GTX in many years, but there should be a way to send a perfectly clean signal through it. Or take the dry output of the Transit A to the input of the GTX to set the harmonies.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I've stopped using any chorus on acoustic these days but when I did I found that chorus in mono is a completely different animal than stereo. In stereo there's always some part of the sound that retains the warmth and the sweeping pulls the focus but it always exists somewhere in the stereo field while in mono the sound is sometimes warm but often harsh (this may account for a perceived lift in volume) and the focus seems never to settle.

I began using chorus on a Strat (Boss pedal, ce1 I think) but I really fell in love with it when using my Tak ef360s with a Roland jc120 (signal split between amp and PA). That was obviously unsustainable so I went back to pedals (Boss stereo chorus) and others, Zoom, Yamaha AG Stomp, Alesis rack unit, but the mono/stereo issue I found with all of them. I finally got fed up with trying and failing to hit the nail consistently so went for "simple but effective" with a Tonedexter.

If you're keen on using chorus I'd suggest trying it in stereo somehow at a gig, preferably with a decent PA. If that works for you then good cheap 2ch DI boxes now exist that will cut the clutter to a minimum.
I wonder whether the Transit A's 1/4" outputs are balanced. If so, a trs to xlr adapter would negate the need for DI boxes.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I wonder whether the Transit A's 1/4" outputs are balanced. If so, a trs to xlr adapter would negate the need for DI boxes.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to the Transit specifically in that regard, I don't know that box specifically, but doesn't that have XLRs out?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Nick....do you notice a volume increase when you engage the Chorus effect?
Can’t say I do - but I rarely use chorus and when I do it’s a mild amount.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification