The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 PM

Default NG(gear)D- Review, Trace Elliot Transit A

Was looking for a small preamp/effects unit for when I didn’t want to take my big pedal board to a gig. Was looking at the Tech21 Fly Rig, the Trace Elliot and some others. Settled on the Trace Elliot when my local music store, which doesn’t stock either, said they could get me the unit for under $250. Here are my first impressions after two gigs using a Martin Gpcpa1.
1. The thing is built like tank, very substantial. While only about a foot long it comes with a nice cloth carrying case that even has an extra pouch for cords, cables, etc.
2. Preamp. The unit only has bass, treble, mid and a notch filter for shaping your sound, though it does have a “preset” button that cuts the mids. While it doesn’t have near the options of my Fishman Platinum it was easy to dial in a tone I liked. That said, the Aura system in the Martin gives you lots of ways to dial in your sound.
3. Tuner. This may be my favorite feature as the tuner incorporates about a dozen large lights that make it very easy to use on a dark stage. Tuner has mute function as well.
4. Effects. Reverb is one button so you get what you get but I found the effect to be just about right, as if it was designed to enhance an acoustic guitar. It does all I need.
Chorus. Much the same as the reverb and an effect I don’t use much.
Delay. Two knobs and a tap/tempo switch to control the speed of the delay. Works well, again, I don’t use it much.
5. Boost. Overkill. I have it on about two and it is still noticeably louder than without the boost. Would rather there was some headroom in this.
The unit also has a ground lift, dry send, and a phase switch. Additionally, there is a piezo boost for low outpost pickups.

Overall I found the Trance Elliot to be very user friendly at a gig with a minimum of compromises. Fits easily in a gig bag and is a bit of a Swiss Army knife.

The biggest downside for me is that the dials are hard to read on a dark stage. The same lights that make the tuner so great also make it hard to read the dials.

Overall this is a pretty good solution for those looking for a compact unit that is road worthy and covers most of the bases.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM

Congrats on the new unit! Thanks for the review. I do like the look of the all in one multi effects pedals.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:00 PM

Anyone else recommend this unit?
Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Why is this pedal so rarely mentioned? Seems to tick all the boxes for a multi effects guitar pedal.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:07 PM

I have it. Love it. I was sick of menus and sub menus
Old 05-21-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Why is this pedal so rarely mentioned? Seems to tick all the boxes for a multi effects guitar pedal.
It is definitely a unit that should be considered when looking at "one-box multi-effect pedals" like the Tech 21 Fly Rig & the Fishman ToneDEQ (among a few others). I personally chose the ToneDEQ but all 3 were over $300 when I bought mine.

Under $250 might have made me look at one over the others a bit more.

Glad you like your Transit A & thanks for the review!

Frank
Old 05-22-2020, 07:58 AM

same here................

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
I have it. Love it. I was sick of menus and sub menus
Old 05-22-2020, 10:34 AM

I bought the Trace Elliot Transit A and a Flyrig acoustic at the same time. Returned them both. I can’t remember which, but one does not have a foot switch to turn chorus on and of. My memory isn’t great, but did one of these make you choose between chorus and delay? One or the other, not both?

I think I preferred the sound of the Flyrig, but mine made a loud clicking sound I think when tuning. Others reported the same issue. So it went back because it was defective.

Trace products, in my experience, but their sound sheen on everything. It’s not transparent and changes the tone a lot. Some like it, I don’t care for it. So it went back.

I bought a Boss AD 10 which sounds much better to me and includes a looper, among other additional features.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:34 AM

I went with the Transit A. I will report back soon. I have a separate looper pedal so I didn't need a looper, but I always wanted to try the AD10. Boss always makes quality products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I bought the Trace Elliot Transit A and a Flyrig acoustic at the same time. Returned them both. I can’t remember which, but one does not have a foot switch to turn chorus on and of. My memory isn’t great, but did one of these make you choose between chorus and delay? One or the other, not both?

I think I preferred the sound of the Flyrig, but mine made a loud clicking sound I think when tuning. Others reported the same issue. So it went back because it was defective.

Trace products, in my experience, but their sound sheen on everything. It’s not transparent and changes the tone a lot. Some like it, I don’t care for it. So it went back.

I bought a Boss AD 10 which sounds much better to me and includes a looper, among other additional features.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 PM

OK what’s the deal with the bright blinking tap tempo light??? Is there a way to lower the intensity of the light or disable it. It’s so distracting in a dark club.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:16 PM

Buy a black rubber washer from the Home Depot and put it over it. Or, break out a black sharpie
Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 AM

rubber washer worked perfectly. Thanks!

not sure why the Tap Tempo light blinks even if Delay isn't engaged?
weird design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Buy a black rubber washer from the Home Depot and put it over it. Or, break out a black sharpie
Old 05-29-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
rubber washer worked perfectly. Thanks!

not sure why the Tap Tempo light blinks even if Delay isn't engaged?
weird design
That's pretty common actually. That way you know the tempo before you start playing or tap in a new one.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:20 AM

I get it. But why can’t you turn off the light when you don’t have Delay engaged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
That's pretty common actually. That way you know the tempo before you start playing or tap in a new one.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:23 AM

Gigged with the Transit A last night. Overall guitar sound was great. Only complaint is the Chorus makes your volume noticeably louder, so I have to turn down a little when using it. Also the Chorus effect is quite pronounced even on low levels.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification