The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM

okay, here's the L-00 demo, unlisted on YouTube and only up for up for a limited time:

https://youtu.be/vj3fl5N3q3A

(weird, couldn't get YouTube embed to work)

To me it sounds... very tempting. There's no finger picking in this demo but I can hear the warmth and projection from a light touch along with the woody growl from digging in. That's Gibsony, isn't it?

This project was about getting a lower-end guitar, but my next "dream" guitar was going to be one that sounds like Live at the Old Quarter in a little box.. this one might be able to take me there.

What do you all think?
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Sounds pretty good, given the major limitations of YouTube for judging audio. (I normally don't even bother listening - valid evaluation is tough with so much variability in recording and compression). Being flat picked the demo is much brighter sounding than it might be fingerpicked with bare nails. A lot will depend on your playing style and goals. Have you listened to the Elderly demo of the Farida? The playing demo starts at about 1:40 and you can see exactly how it is shot - a large diaphragm condenser mic placed about 18" from the 14th fret. https://www.elderly.com/products/far...coustic-guitar

I get the appeal of buying a good copy for a quarter of the price versus paying $1700 for the "real thing". Sound is primary but dollars count too. Just to let you know where I am coming from, a lot of Eastman guitars are quite impressive and they are a fraction of the price -- if you don't have to have that certain M-word on the peghead. I would put the Farida versus G-word decision into the same category.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks, Earl. I agree that it's pretty difficult to tell from this or any video, but I hear a lot of promise in there. Even if it's just what I want to hear..

The Farida sure does sound good in its own way
Old 06-01-2020, 06:36 PM

Yes it is really simple removing a pick guard. I removed one on a Yamaha A series. I used a hair dryer. But you must take it slow and dont get the heat super hot. If you do it as soon as you get the guitar there will be no tan line at all. I put a static clear pick guard on my Yamaha. Got it at amazon. There are videos on you tube to show you how to do it.No you dont have to mention my name to Ted, he just usually gives people a discount. Just put LA guitars in your search page and give him a call. I have to warn you once you buy 1 Eastman you'll probably find your self wanting another.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
Yes it is really simple removing a pick guard. I removed one on a Yamaha A series. I used a hair dryer. But you must take it slow and dont get the heat super hot. If you do it as soon as you get the guitar there will be no tan line at all. I put a static clear pick guard on my Yamaha. Got it at amazon. There are videos on you tube to show you how to do it.No you dont have to mention my name to Ted, he just usually gives people a discount. Just put LA guitars in your search page and give him a call. I have to warn you once you buy 1 Eastman you'll probably find your self wanting another.
the thought of taking a hairdryer to a new guitar is a bit scary, but I've seen it done (on YouTube).

My limited experience with Eastmans has shown me they are excellent... I can see why you've become an addict!

Any other listeners to the L-00 vid care to weigh in?
Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 PM

I thought the same way before I took the guard off my Yamaha. Like I said just take it slow and dont get the top of the guitar over hot. You will have some of the glue that will stick to the top of the guitar. But you can clean it off very easily with lighter fluid. If I remember right I used an old credit to push the guard away from the top. But if you are really not sure about doing it yourself, take it to who ever you have work on your guitars. The important thing is to do it as soon as possible after you get the guitar so you have no tan line. I'm sure they wouldn't charge you much to do it.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:00 AM

Sounds like a L-00 to me. Good but not as full as a dread. Sounds very much like how I hear my L-00 - mine is one of the all mahogany editions. I would not want an L-00 as an only guitar. But that is just me. I like mine, but it is not my favorite. This one looks in the video to be in good shape - and it probably is a nice guitar, but again $1,700 and no return policy - cheaper than a new one (as it should be as it is a used instrument) - is probably a fair price, but not a steal, in my opinion.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:24 AM

To clarify, there is no official “all sales final” policy, but the shop/friend extending this offer would probably be miffed if I sent it back as this is a special deal.

Also of note... somehow didn’t realize that L-00s were 1.725” at the nut. I’m a 1 3/4 guy, not sure how I feel about this.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:44 AM

I listened, but you can only tell so much from a YT video. It sounds very nice, but I don't think it sounds any better than my Farida...just different. I think it comes down to whether or not you want to own a guitar with the Gibson logo or the Farida logo. Do you, by chance, live in Georgia? If so, we could meet up and you could play my Farida just so that you would have first-hand knowledge of the guitar.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 06-02-2020, 08:48 AM

Food for thought. Have you played a Martin 00015m? I have a reimaged hd28 and the all mahogany 00015m is a nice counter point. Fingerpicks well, can be used for blues, strums with strong mid clarity basically just fun to play and you can find them used for 700 and up.

2011 Martin 000-18 GE
2017 Martin 000-15m
2006 Martin D-18 GE custom Amberburst
1999 Martin OM-28-V
2018 Martin HD 28 Amberburst
1984 Gibson American SG
2013 Fender EJ Stratocaster
2019 Gibson Les Paul Honey burst "Classic"
2019 50's Baja Telecaster
Vox vt40, 1978 Deluxe Reverb, Fender Super Sonic 22 amp, lots of stomp boxes
Old 06-02-2020, 09:07 AM

The $1700 you quoted for the L00 puts you in the range of a used CEO7 Martin, or a Waterloo. If you are seriously thinking about dropping that kind of change, then you should look at these as a comparison. But generally, there is nothing like the real thing, whether it's the L00, a Martin, or the Waterloo.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:15 AM

If you need a 1.75 nut width you need to take the 2 Eastmans I suggested off your list. Maybe you should take a look at the Yamaha Red Label series. I have not played one but they have been getting good reviews. The FS3 runs 800 without the pick up, with it, it is 1000. I have heard nothing but good about the pick up in these guitars. Im sure their is some review videos on line. And they do come with the ARE top.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesShort View Post
I listened, but you can only tell so much from a YT video. It sounds very nice, but I don't think it sounds any better than my Farida...just different. I think it comes down to whether or not you want to own a guitar with the Gibson logo or the Farida logo. Do you, by chance, live in Georgia? If so, we could meet up and you could play my Farida just so that you would have first-hand knowledge of the guitar.
I live in New York, but I very much appreciate that offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJChapin View Post
Food for thought. Have you played a Martin 00015m? I have a reimaged hd28 and the all mahogany 00015m is a nice counter point. Fingerpicks well, can be used for blues, strums with strong mid clarity basically just fun to play and you can find them used for 700 and up.
I have not played one but I am currently drooling over the ones on Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
The $1700 you quoted for the L00 puts you in the range of a used CEO7 Martin, or a Waterloo. If you are seriously thinking about dropping that kind of change, then you should look at these as a comparison. But generally, there is nothing like the real thing, whether it's the L00, a Martin, or the Waterloo.
I absolutely hear you and my intention was not to drop that kind of change.. I also agree that perhaps $1700 is not as hot of a deal as I thought such that can't be turned down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
If you need a 1.75 nut width you need to take the 2 Eastmans I suggested off your list. Maybe you should take a look at the Yamaha Red Label series. I have not played one but they have been getting good reviews. The FS3 runs 800 without the pick up, with it, it is 1000. I have heard nothing but good about the pick up in these guitars. Im sure their is some review videos on line. And they do come with the ARE top.
I was under the impression that the Eastman SS-OOs were 1.75" and am disappointed to learn that they are 1 11/16." This is probably something I could get over, but it's not my preference. My HD-28 is 1.75" and I'd like to stay consistent. In some ways, however, it makes the Eastman Parlors more appealing with their very wide necks..
Old 06-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop & Lil View Post
My HD-28 is 1.75" and I'd like to stay consistent. In some ways, however, it makes the Eastman Parlors more appealing with their very wide necks..
Eastman also do 12-fret 00's with the wider neck. The all mahogany ones are exceptionally pretty.

Your handle makes me want to go listen to some TVZ.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:33 PM

I think the OP is under quarantine GAS and I’d advice to avoid buying anything at this stage. You have a freshly acquired Martin you like a lot and if you will have a guitar around the house as a beater, you will either play or miss the Martin. I suggest you save your money to buy in the future a guitar that you like MORE than the D28, not less. Play that Martin, don’t worry if you scratch, ding, burn it. It’s all mojo, enjoy it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion