The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-31-2020, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Honestly ? He is. The videos are certainly well produced and the info is good most of the time , he IMO does occasionally drift into overly hyped opinion proffered almost as gospel . But overall that would not be a problem ,,,it is more that his personality (for me ) gets old fairly quickly.
Probably just me as he gets thousands and thousands of views
I'm the same Kev. I just can't warm to him for some reason.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
I'm the same Kev. I just can't warm to him for some reason.
Count me in as well. He obviously is extremely knowledgeable but something about him I just don’t find appealing! I wish I did because I know I could learn from his channel! YMMV
Old 05-31-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Count me in as well. He obviously is extremely knowledgeable but something about him I just don’t find appealing! I wish I did because I know I could learn from his channel! YMMV
Well, he is pretty full of himself/narcissistic. I don’t enjoy that, but that is true of a lot of people. Unlike many narcissistic folks, he has a lot to offer beyond his grand self-display.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
I very much enjoy his videos. I find his enthusiasm contagious.
This. He lasers in on a could bars and scats, say to the guitar solo... He's in love with the skills and sounds. Knowledgable and passionate.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6120T-1960
Old 05-31-2020, 09:01 AM

I watch most of his “what makes this song great” videos, even if I’m not a fan of whoever or whatever song he’s profiling, several times watching those have completely changed my opinion a of the artist/song.

The one he did on “more than a feeling” is a fine example. I’m like everyone else who listened to the radio in the 70s and 80s, and I have heard that song a thousand times, but watching Rick break down the various parts, totally changed that song for me, and also how I listen to any song now.

And yes, his Nirvana episodes are very cool to watch. Cobain had talent, and it’s quite apparent when Rick lays it out.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:23 AM

I've seen a few of his videos and enjoyed them but I have some questions:

Who is he?
I mean, is he a producer or someone who was/is in a famous band?

He obviously knows a lot about music and guitar and seems to share all he knows but where did he come from?

Just curious,
PJ
Old 05-31-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepsdad View Post
The one he did on “more than a feeling” is a fine example.
Agree. Also loved the one on "Roundabout" and several others. I did not know the opening tone on Roundabout was a backward piano sound, as an example of his cool insights into music we've heard forever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFisOTDzGuE

Some of his points seem fueled by facts (often with his own demonstration of the point!), others seem like opinions. But I give him credit, he's energetic and makes it entertaining, if you don't mind his style.

I sense that he is on the bleeding edge of copyright battles on YouTube. He mentions there are bands he cannot discuss much due to overly aggressive enforcement by the artists (or their lawyers).

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 05-31-2020 at 12:04 PM. Reason: fixed url for youtube video to make it work!
Old 05-31-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I've seen a few of his videos and enjoyed them but I have some questions:

Who is he?
I mean, is he a producer or someone who was/is in a famous band?

He obviously knows a lot about music and guitar and seems to share all he knows but where did he come from?

Just curious,
PJ
You can check out his credentials here at AllMusic:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/rick-beato-mn0000357243
Old 05-31-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepsdad View Post

The one he did on “more than a feeling” is a fine example. I’m like everyone else who listened to the radio in the 70s and 80s, and I have heard that song a thousand times, but watching Rick break down the various parts, totally changed that song for me, and also how I listen to any song now.
I'm glad I read through the thread because I was about to write pretty much the same thing. "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" is a good one too.A friend sent me his Leland Sklar interview this morning to check out.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:24 PM

I admire his enterprise, his knowledge, and since I like people passionate about their art, his personality.

My general opinion that applies sometimes to him is that video can be an inefficient way to convey some information. His longer "opinion" videos for example often take an hour to present information that could be conveyed in 5 minutes reading time of good writing. I get bored from the repetition and rambling, or need to use my time elseswise on many of those.

But of course many podcasts & video channels prove that my issues with that are not shared by a lot of other folks.

When Beato does music playing technique videos I sometime feel it goes too fast. Maybe I'm slow?

But the "What makes this song great" videos are very good. And even though it can sometimes go through things fast, he's taught me some things about functional harmony that I've started to use in composition.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-31-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt986 View Post
You can check out his credentials here at AllMusic:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/rick-beato-mn0000357243
Fun to read about his producer credits, even though I didn’t recognize much of the music.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...video can be an inefficient way to convey some information. His longer "opinion" videos for example often take an hour to present information that could be conveyed in 5 minutes reading time of good writing.
Some good points. Because Youtube is mostly an "open forum" for you to "broadcast yourself" in whatever manner you see fit - the formats of various videos can be very, very different.

There is a big difference between media that is presented as informational/educational vs entertainment!

Since discovering the Youtube interface allows you to control the speed setting of the video from 1/4 speed to 2X speed - it's been a real game-changer. If you haven't tried it, you should!! I watch most educational videos at 1.75 or 2X speed, and it saves a lot of time. In fact, most videos are WAY too slow at regular speed, once you get used to it.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:08 AM

I enjoy what he offers. Lots of folks who do this type of stuff in various forms tend to get long-winded and yeah, that gets boring.
I don’t find him narcissistic, and I’ve learned some things from him. He’s opinionated sure, but aren’t we all?
Anyway, if I get bored, I just hit the fast forward or quit watching, just like anything else.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-01-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Some good points. Because Youtube is mostly an "open forum" for you to "broadcast yourself" in whatever manner you see fit - the formats of various videos can be very, very different.

There is a big difference between media that is presented as informational/educational vs entertainment!

Since discovering the Youtube interface allows you to control the speed setting of the video from 1/4 speed to 2X speed - it's been a real game-changer. If you haven't tried it, you should!! I watch most educational videos at 1.75 or 2X speed, and it saves a lot of time. In fact, most videos are WAY too slow at regular speed, once you get used to it.
Thanks. I've used similar speed up on some audio podcasts, and yet it can help.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic