The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
Tico--have you had problems with keeping the DPA4099 on your guitar? Reading accounts of folks struggling with that discouraged me from pursuing it further, but I reallllly like the idea of the unit, and the clips I've listened to sound great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I usually use my DPA on my Guild D-55 or Martin HD-28.
I have not noticed tone change requiring EQ on those.
Perhaps it's different for other guitars.
Also related ...

Every time I use the DPA I optimize the guitar's EQ simply by moving the tiny mic element on its tiny gooseneck.
Basically, there are 3 ways to think while doing this ...

1. The DPA, with its highly-directional pickup pattern, exhibits the proximity effect ... so, closer to the soundboard delivers more bass, further from it for less bass.

2. Regardless of its position I can also EQ by pointing it towards the soundhole, or away

3. Besides changing where the capsule is pointing I can also EQ by changing the capsule's position ... from over the sound hole, to over the 12th fret, over the bridge, and anywhere in between.
Small movements require no change to where the clip is attached, large movements do.

After the DPA's amazing sound fidelity, this EQ-by-movement is another impressive capability of this flexible tool.

This simple and quick EQ flexibility is probably why I've never noticed a tonal difference with the soundhole plugged.
I just always moved the capsule around for the best tone.

Also moving the capsule can also help reduce feedback in a pinch.

Last edited by Tico; 06-01-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 PM

If money is not a concern, I would like to try Carlos CP-1 High-End Acoustic Guitar Pickup.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 06-01-2020, 12:13 AM

Love my Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend.
Would definitely install another one.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I think it’s a matter of hooking up to my pa when I record so I can really check if a wavemap sounds good. I was running through my studio monitors and loved my wave maps and then when I tried them through my pa, they did not sound very good!
Hi P

I run them through my acoustic amp, and often have a friend play while I sit across the room and listen to the amp (without the guitar in my hands).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-01-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi P

I run them through my acoustic amp, and often have a friend play while I sit across the room and listen to the amp (without the guitar in my hands).

That's a great idea, thanks! I want to do the newest software update as well. I often struggle with the volume level between the raw pickup and wavemap and apparently that was fixed. It's something that I notice with the aura spectrum as well. Anything over 50% in terms of blend and my signal drops off signicantly.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Tico, do you use your DPA 4099G with a wireless system? It seems this would be the way to go, especially when playing with other band members, so the cord doesn't get stepped on and disconnected or the mic itself gets ripped off the guitar. Thanks!
Finally found pics of my DPA with gaffer tape that helps keep the clip on.
The tape looks tacky (pardon the pun) but it works well.

Too much tape.
DPA 2 Tape 1.jpg

Just right.
DPA w Tape 2.jpg

Last edited by Tico; 06-02-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:55 PM

If money is not a concern, I always would install a Dazzo / DPA 4061 combo.
Internal preamp would be a Sunnaudio.
I installed it in a friend's Collings D2HA Traditional, and it sounds awesome. Sunny of Sunnaudio is such a great guy to work with.
If external preamplifying is your choice, I would use a Sunnaudio MS-2 or Grace Felix - if money is not a concern.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-03-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
None.
I have around 8 high-end acoustics, for which I've bought only one tiny high-end clip-on condenser mic.
It takes only seconds to move it between my guitars.
No hole to drill, and no installation to pay for.

It's the Danish Professional Audio, DPA d:vote VO-4099-G.
Hand made in Denmark, it sounds exactly like the acoustic guitar.
I do mean Exactly.

It's $682, which is way cheaper than installing fine pickups in 8 guitars.
But buyer beware, the $469 price you'll see widely advertised does not include all the stuff you need for an acoustic guitar.

https://www.amazon.com/DPA-4099G-Sup.../dp/B00L9IPF66
I used DPAs 4099 only for a short period - on guitar, mandolin, banjo, dobro, slide. I even had two at a time - performing as a multi-instrumentalist. I sold them because the clamp is not would it should be. As said above you need some tape to fix it. So what's the sense in paying some extra money for a clamp that would not do the job. And later I found out that DPA's 4061 is sonically superior, less expensive and - you would not expect it from an omni mic - not closer to feedback compared to the 4099. I did some extensive comparisons in live applications to find out. Trick is to mount it closer to the signal. And yes, you can do it, because omni mics have no proximity effect, but a true bass response like no other. DPA offers a wide variety of clamps and stuff for the 4061. Only thing needed is a high pass filter or turning the bass knob a bit counter clock wise.
Another great clip-on mic is the John Bartlett, and it's less expensive than any DPA.
DPA 4061 and John Bartlett - my first choices. But DPA 4099 gets all the attention. I cannot see why.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 06-06-2020, 12:49 PM

I have had many, but I love my Highlander. Takes some work to install properly (my luthier did it) but such a strong clear signal w no feedback issues. Sounds wonderful
Old 06-06-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
I used DPAs 4099 only for a short period - on guitar, mandolin, banjo, dobro, slide. I even had two at a time - performing as a multi-instrumentalist. I sold them because the clamp is not would it should be. As said above you need some tape to fix it. So what's the sense in paying some extra money for a clamp that would not do the job. And later I found out that DPA's 4061 is sonically superior, less expensive and - you would not expect it from an omni mic - not closer to feedback compared to the 4099. I did some extensive comparisons in live applications to find out. Trick is to mount it closer to the signal. And yes, you can do it, because omni mics have no proximity effect, but a true bass response like no other. DPA offers a wide variety of clamps and stuff for the 4061. Only thing needed is a high pass filter or turning the bass knob a bit counter clock wise.
Another great clip-on mic is the John Bartlett, and it's less expensive than any DPA.
DPA 4061 and John Bartlett - my first choices. But DPA 4099 gets all the attention. I cannot see why.
I still have my 4099, but don't use it. It's a good mic, but for me, since I don't usually play standing up, there was no benefit, and several downsides, compared to just using a mic on a stand. In situations where the 4099 can work (as far as volume, feedback, bleed), a mic on a stand can also work. The idea that one mic can work on multiple instruments sounds good, but when you have to change it between instruments mid-show (even if you don't have it duct-taped on, which you often need), then it's a lot less convenient than just picking up another guitar and playing into a stand-mounted mic. You also have a lot more flexibility in mic placement with a mic on a stand.

If you want to stand and wander around while you play, the 4099 makes more sense, tho in that case, you definitely need to do something to secure it better than the attachment it comes with.

Otherwise, the biggest advantage is probably that you can get the 4099 closer to the guitar (you actually have no choice) than a stand mounted mic, so you get a bit more volume before feedback. In practice, when I need that, I just use a pickup, generally some "normal" pickup plus an internal mic, like the DPA 4061 or Bartlett (I install them permanently, not clip them on)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:02 AM

Default hello

K n K mini. All the time, all day long. Frog and Toad have them in Ben Wilborn guitars, an EV evolve 50 line array, a tad bit of reverb, straight Eq...
We have never not played without people saying how wonderful the tone is.
Plus, no batteries or eq knobs to deal with. Ease is very important to me as well!
Frog-

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Old 06-07-2020, 01:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

There's a lot of great stuff out there.

I'm one who prefers the Trance Audio / Dazzo style of pickup. I hate all of them, but I hate these least of all.

Give me a $100 SM-58 and my hatred vanishes.

scott memmer
Old 06-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
There's a lot of great stuff out there.

I'm one who prefers the Trance Audio / Dazzo style of pickup. I hate all of them, but I hate these least of all.

Give me a $100 SM-58 and my hatred vanishes.

scott memmer
+1 Trance Audio, Scott!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification