The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-05-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Tight open-back tuners

I have a guitar with tight open-backed tuners. The buttons do not turn easily, and they also turn in a jerky way so it's hard to get the guitar in tune. Short of replacing them, what can be done to make them smoother? I have various lubes but I am not sure which ones are safe to use (could create a mess, eat through finish, etc.). I am thinking to use Guitar Grease (wax with graphite) that I got from StewMac many years ago but I thought it best to ask those who know.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Chances are the strings are pulling the post forward a little causing the driven gear to bind against the worm gear. The fix is to remove the tuner body, fill the screw holes (a cocktail toothpick and a bit of glue), and redrill them as far south as possible. The goal is to have the post perfectly perpendicular to the plate under tension. It is a very subtle relationship and not as easy to get right as one would imagine.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

So the holes are likely too far "north" allowing the string tension to pull the post toward the body of the guitar? That makes sense. I will see if the tuner turns smoothly with no tension to rule out that possibility and then likely proceed as you described.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I will see if the tuner turns smoothly with no tension to rule out that possibility and then likely proceed as you described.
Check how much play there is in the tuning post without string tension. Ideally, there should be no wiggle action of the post. Any wiggle room will allow the post to pulled so that the spur gear isn't perpendicular to the worm gear. Good tuning machines, properly installed will have little, if any play.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

The tuning machines are tight with no string tension. I think that they are candidates for replacement.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:45 AM

First line of defense is lubrication.

Use some regular lubricating oil (motor oil, 3-in-one, triflow, or whatever) and make sure you get some on all the moving parts, the worm, cog, bearings.

Be careful and don't soak the peghead in oil, of course, but don't worry a bout a drip or two on the finish - it will wipe right off.

Frank Ford
Old 05-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

What guitar is this? Which tuners? I have a CS J-17 that has awful tuners. They are the restoration tuners from Stew Mac and they are so stiff I’m ready to do away with them.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

The tuners are Gotoh, they look like the SE700 tuners. I have actually succeeded in solving this problem. I'll take some photos and write something up. I don't guarantee that my solution will work with other tuners, and probably I should give the appropriate disclaimers about these Gotoh tuners, too. However, I did solve my problem and I'm now happy.

Photos and explanations to come.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 AM

Spacing is so critical with tuners on plates. That's why I bought a drill jig for installing on mandolins. StewMac has them for guitars as well.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
The tuners are Gotoh, they look like the SE700 tuners. I have actually succeeded in solving this problem. I'll take some photos and write something up. I don't guarantee that my solution will work with other tuners, and probably I should give the appropriate disclaimers about these Gotoh tuners, too. However, I did solve my problem and I'm now happy.

Photos and explanations to come.
Did you get around to doing your write-up and taking photos?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair