The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 11:01 AM

Default Sudden Dead Low E - Martin Retros

I put a set of Martin Retro strings (light gauge) on my Taylor 214ce a couple of weeks ago and was really digging them. I hadn't played it for 3 or 4 days, but when I started strumming it today the low E was dead as a doornail. It sounded completely muffled, like the proverbial blanket was thrown over just the low E. All notes, open and up the neck, the other strings sound fine.

Has something like this every happened to you? I have been playing guitar for over 40 years and I don't recall a sudden change like this in just one string, especially one that only has a few hours of playing time on it. It holds tune just fine, it intonates correctly, and the nut and bridge look OK.

Do you think I just got a bad string or might something else be going on? I have not yet put on a new set to see if it is really the string vs. the guitar, but that is my next move. I have had a set of Retros on my Taylor GS Mini for even longer and the E has not suffered the same degradation - though it has probably not been played as many hours.

Last edited by CarlE; 05-31-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Martin Retro Monels last over a year. I usually change after 6 months just because. I’d check that the ferrule is on the bridge plate and you don’t have any windings on the saddle. I’d loosen the tension and look with a mirror or feel with your hand that the E is well set on your bridge plate and saddle. Then I’d check the nut slot and make sure you are well seated there as well. The metallurgy of these strings resist corrosion and last an incredibly long time. The usually sound their best after a week when the “jangly-ness” goes away.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:56 AM

Bad string IMO - I've had that happen to me with PB, 80/20, 85/15, half-round electric, roundwound electric, and especially flatwound electric (those can often be a real crap shoot) at one time or another - but just in case I'd check both the nut slot and the bridge breakover point, and make sure the ball end is snug against the bridgeplate...
Old 05-31-2020, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Could a pin or bridge plate have split? I agree with Jim. Highly unlikely a string metallurgy issue that soon and that sudden. Id ckeck with a mirror inside. Any mirror and light that fits will work, but I really like the tri-fold mirrors that lay flat. (Wide view with both hands free)
Old 05-31-2020, 12:32 PM

I would say it is a bad string. I have used Retro strings for a couple of years and never had that happen.

Contact Martin about it.
They will very likely replace the string or even the set for you.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:56 PM

As I wrote earlier I put a set of DR Sunbeams on my Alvarez and the low E string was on life support pretty much as soon as it was stretched to standard pitch. Very disappointed. When I rake the strings from the high E it's like "ping" .. "ping" ..."ping" ..."ping"... "ping" ... "thud!"
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-31-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
When I rake the strings from the high E it's like "ping" .. "ping" ..."ping" ..."ping"... "ping" ... "thud!"
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. I checked out all of your suggestions about the nut, the saddle, the seating of the ball end, the condition of the bridge plate, etc., and all appeared to be normal. I swapped in a new set of phosphor bronze strings and all were fine.

I wouldn't have been so stumped if the low E was dead from the get-go, but like I said, it sounded fine for a couple of weeks and then, went dead overnight like somebody flipped a switch. It didn't go flat or anything, just sounded like it had been on for a couple of years.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
As I wrote earlier I put a set of DR Sunbeams on my Alvarez and the low E string was on life support pretty much as soon as it was stretched to standard pitch. Very disappointed. When I rake the strings from the high E it's like "ping" .. "ping" ..."ping" ..."ping"... "ping" ... "thud!"
With Sunbeams, a DOA wound string is almost always attributable to user error. Did you put a sharp crimp in it before trimming it?
Old 06-01-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
DRs have always been that way. Very inconsistent quality strings.

I have Retros that have been on for a year and still sound good.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. I checked out all of your suggestions about the nut, the saddle, the seating of the ball end, the condition of the bridge plate, etc., and all appeared to be normal. I swapped in a new set of phosphor bronze strings and all were fine.

I wouldn't have been so stumped if the low E was dead from the get-go, but like I said, it sounded fine for a couple of weeks and then, went dead overnight like somebody flipped a switch. It didn't go flat or anything, just sounded like it had been on for a couple of years.
That sounds like your string windings have opened up. It's a dud string. Could be the winding tension was a little off, or the hex core was miss shaped at some point along its length - then a couple of retunes sprung the windings apart. It may be worth putting a little graphite into the nut slot to reduce the tendency for pressure on the windings at that point but, basically, it's a dud string!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I've been using Sunbeams for many years, and never seen any consistency problems. In all that time I've only gotten one bad string, and that was a spot of corrosion, not the kind of problem we're talking about here.

Dead new Sunbeams are almost always due to user error. They're round core and they will unravel if you don't crimp them before cutting them. That is not a defect, it's just failure to read the instructions.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:43 AM

Default Similar situation

I have an eastman acom2, that no matter what strings I put on it, the low E always starts sounding dead long before the other strings.
I have checked everything suggested above, and found no problems.
I am going to order a new saddle for it, and see if that helps. I have heard that if the saddle isn't shaped correctly on top, that can really affect the sound.
It appears to be correct.
I will be keeping up with this thread.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post

I have Retros that have been on for a year and still sound good.
Have only gone through one set of sunbeams, but frequently used DR Blues for a few years on electric. They were regularly inconsistent, every 3rd set or so would have a bum string, but they were so cheap and good I didn't care.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:00 AM

OP: is it possible you were playing your guitar more aggressively than before, perhaps due to the more mellow tonality?

Even with strings that are super resistant to corrosion, I can kill a low E within weeks if I'm playing pretty aggressively. Maybe not a few hours of play, but around 10, for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion