The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2022, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Mine currently has Medium Martin Authentic PBs on it, but I've been kind of going back and forth between those and Medium Monels.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-18-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Running the new XS 80/20s on my D18A 37 and have really been enjoying them. But that guitar sounds great no matter the string alloy.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:53 PM

Martin lifespan pb lights which make it sound great.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:35 PM

Robin wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
We've not heard from Wade Hampton yet in this thread. If he does chip in then my guess is that he has John Pearse 80/20s in medium fitted to his D-18.
Almost. I use John Pearse 80/20 bronze strings on my D-18, you got that part right, but they’re in bluegrass gauge rather than medium gauge.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2022, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

My D18GE is strung up with Martin Monel Retros 13-56.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Robin wrote:

Almost. I use John Pearse 80/20 bronze strings on my D-18, you got that part right, but they’re in bluegrass gauge rather than medium gauge.

Wade Hampton Miller
Mmmm.... I have not "noticed" that the strings I have filled to my D-18 are a medium set. I'm not sure why this is the case? I really noticed it on my Seagull and liked playing the "bluegrass" gauge better on that guitar. I now have mediums on my A&L Legacy, my Godin 5th Avenue and my D-18, so I suppose mediums just feel normal to me. Mind you, I never venture more than 4 frets from the nut or capo. There are plenty of notes in that little block of frets to keep me busy! LOL!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Mine currently has Medium Martin Authentic PBs on it, but I've been kind of going back and forth between those and Medium Monels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Running the new XS 80/20s on my D18A 37 and have really been enjoying them. But that guitar sounds great no matter the string alloy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
My D18GE is strung up with Martin Monel Retros 13-56.
I bought the guitar with medium monels on it, and did think that they were the least monel sounding monel strings that I had played on any guitar. So perhaps (and given the variety of responses in this thread) the D-18 does sound great with many different string styles. H

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'd be inerested in the reasons why some put lights on a large bodied guitar.
I’ve been using lights on all my guitars for decades, including my two Martin dreds. I suppose mediums would bring out a bit more of the guitar but for me it’s kind of a habit. I rarely play with others without amplification so I’m not concerned about driving the top for volume.

Nonetheless, my D-18 sounds fantastic with D’Addario PB’s.

My lifelong usage of lights in now paying off in my 60’s as my hands and finger strength are in question everyday. Gotta’ love arthritis and trigger finger.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I’ve been using lights on all my guitars for decades, including my two Martin dreds. I suppose mediums would bring out a bit more of the guitar but for me it’s kind of a habit. I rarely play with others without amplification so I’m not concerned about driving the top for volume.

Nonetheless, my D-18 sounds fantastic with D’Addario PB’s.

My lifelong usage of lights in now paying off in my 60’s as my hands and finger strength are in question everyday. Gotta’ love arthritis and trigger finger.
I also like lights. Easy of play is the main reason. They're plenty loud for my playing. I guess in a jam circle I might want heavier but I don't do jams much.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I'll go back and forth between the Martin Retros (Monel) Mediums and the Straight Up Strings 'Heavy' set.

D
Old 08-19-2022, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I'll go back and forth between the Martin Retros (Monel) Mediums and the Straight Up Strings 'Heavy' set.

D
Which FEELS like higher tension...? And mind describing the tonal results on your instrument? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2022, 10:55 AM

2005 D18-GE ... D'Addario EJ-19 "Bluegrass" gauge. Medium on the bottom, lights on top.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

D'Addario EXP-17 Medium-Gauge Phosphor Bronze.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-20-2022, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Tried out a set of EJ17s. They sounded like, well, phosphor bronze strings. I lost the bottom end and the string to string clarity that I like. They sounded "nice" (i.e. boring) so off they came!

Tried out Ernie Ball Earthwood 80/20 13-56. I usually like these strings but the 0.034 4th string rattled away on my frets. I did have an Earthwood 80/20 0.036 in a packet so I put that on and the buzzing disappeared. Overall, the strings were no better than the Martin M150 set I have on, and I don't want to be ordering an extra string of a different gauge every time I buy a set - so they are off the list.

Back to the Martin M150 80/20 13-56 mediums. They seem to be marked down as having a slightly higher tension compared to some other makes (perhaps thicker cores?) and I have built my set-up around them. So I could struggle to find something that I both like and works better. Although a set of Martin MM13 monel strings in medium would slot right on at the same gauges/tension.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 08-21-2022 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

D'Addario EJ16's. My 2017 Reimagined D18 loves 'em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion