The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

2 times, both worked out fine, as already said, communicate. I may be wrong but I think I can tell a lot about a person by speaking to them on the phone.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:01 AM

worked out well , miss that guitar -but the one i got has a gorgeous tone !
would do it again !
Old 08-17-2022, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
I have 30-40 times over the last 14 years or so. Lots of fun!! I feel like a kid trading baseball cards but high dollar large box, shipping across the US baseball cards!

With the 1099k changes for 2022, I've found myself mostly doing trades this year and its been fun!
What is the 1099K changes that impacts sales vs trades?
Old 08-17-2022, 10:08 AM

Years ago I discovered that somebody on a different forum lived only 3 blocks away, and he had a guitar that I wanted to try out, and vice versa, so we swapped for a week.

I wound up buying the kind he'd loaned me. (I wound up selling it off, but many times I've wished I hadn't.)

D.H.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Once - terrible experience, got ripped off, blame myself as the other person was a very well-respected AGF person, so I trusted everything they said. I know everyone wants to believe everyone here is trustworthy and honest, but that isn’t as universally true as you’d want to hope - just be careful, as there is no recourse -
This just makes me sad that this happens even on a site like this with long time members. Having done 3 different trades and 10-15 buy and sell guitar deals over the past 20 years on the TGF / AGF, I have had great dealings on each and every transaction. Maybe I've just been lucky, but every deal has gone smoothly and I think both parties were happy with the results.

Knowing that there are scammers and crooks everywhere, you would think a well established AGF'er would not be one of them.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Traded 2x with well established forum members. Exchange phone numbers and call each other. You'll get a feel of whether or not to proceed.

No, this won't protect you completely as what happened with tadol above. There is some degree of trust and risk involved. There is another alternative, but it costs both of you 3%: You buy each other's guitar via regular Paypal. Yes, Paypal takes their fee from both of you, but you both now have recourse.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 08-17-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

That’s a good plan Brencat, thanks for that!
Old 08-17-2022, 01:22 PM

I traded my Fender Telecaster '52 AVRI for a fellow forum member's Emerald X20 Opus. That was about seven or eight years ago and I remember it being a very positive experience.
I only would do a trade with a long-standing member with a good reputation.
Christian
Old 08-17-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Years ago I discovered that somebody on a different forum lived only 3 blocks away, and he had a guitar that I wanted to try out, and vice versa, so we swapped for a week.

I wound up buying the kind he'd loaned me. (I wound up selling it off, but many times I've wished I hadn't.)

D.H.
This is exactly what I would like to do, but obviously I’d have to find people within reasonable driving distance. It would be cool to setup a meetup for people to have the opportunity to play guitars that aren’t readily available in nearby stores. This would be a great way to find your ideal guitar. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-17-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I traded an Alvarez-Yairi DY-45 for an Alvarez-Yairi DY-74. The 74 was a bit more dinged up than I expected, but I came to love that guitar and played it for 10-12 years.

Both were really excellent guitars, and both parties were happy with the trade.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:10 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Moments after this photo was snapped, John Sweet (Cakes) and I exchanged guitars for about two minutes at Monroestock IV (2003). His was a Taylor 314ce and mine was a 710ce. There was no intent for the exchange to be permanent. Captain Bill (Nichols) and JR Baker (RIP) can be seen examining JR's SoundSeat options in the background and we are trying the seats out in the foreground. For years, JR and I used to meet informally on the phone every couple of months to just chew the fat. I miss him.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-18-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Have done several trades with members here and every one has been great!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:59 AM

I traded through FedEx
It worked out fine but I was lucky
I can see how it could have gone wrong.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

I did one trade and one purchase and I was pretty nervous until the guitar showed up. And that's with doing an extensive amount of research and due diligence.

Both transactions worked out perfectly, One Northwood and one Bourgeois and they were both in perfect condition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion