The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-13-2022, 03:30 PM

Default Cort Asymmetrical Bridge, Fretboard, Nut

I bought a used Cort Core OC Spruce acoustic with an asymmetrical bridge, fretboard, and nut. Is this a feature, normal or just poor Chinese manufacturing? I tried a few new core series guitars and they all had this to varying degrees.

My guitar:

Even in some of their promotional videos and photos the bridges have some asymmetrical-ness to them…

Last edited by Drummertist; 08-13-2022 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Fix links
Old 08-13-2022, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks honest to me. The bridge is merely very rough, an approximation of what it might have been. My own fingerboards are slightly thinner on the bass side that the treble see a the sound hole end, and the opposite at the nut end. Mine is intentional, but I doubt theirs is. Time is money!
Old 08-13-2022, 06:38 PM

Check out a Martin bridge. The better makers thin the treble end of the bridge to match the lower action on the treble strings. The goal is the same saddle exposure all the way across. Considering that the difference in 12th fret action bass to treble may be +/- 1/32", that would transfer to a 1/16" difference in thickness at the bridge.
Similarly, the nut is often shaped to match the differing size of the strings.
I also believe the fingerboard taper in this case was accidental, or maybe the result of leveling the fingerboard after the neck was installed.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:22 AM

In your opinion, should I return it? I bought it used at Guitar Center for $349.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair