The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-05-2022, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Buff a satin finish just to eliminate noise?

The question: would buffing a satin finish smooth it enough to eliminate the annoying rustling noise that happens whenever I brush the surface with hands or clothing?

The instrument in question is a Kala tenor guitar, purchased specifically to try out octave mandolin tuning with single course nylon strings. Works fine for that, by the way. But it’s noisy.

Don’t know what the finish is. KALA claims this model has a gloss finish, but I bought it on one of the MF sales so it’s a cheaper satin model.

I really am not concerned with the appearance that much although I’d prefer not to create something grotesque. Less satiny and less noisy even at the cost of looking a bit amateur is fine. It’s worth less on resale than the cost of shipping so the risk is low.

I will likely use one of the 0000 steel wool or auto polishing compound approaches I saw in previous threads, but won’t bother if it won’t cut the noise appreciably.

Worth it? I have plenty of time.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:35 PM

I don't know if glossing up a satin finish will make it quieter but have you tried wearing different fabrics? Just a guess but i would think rayon, polyester, and maybe silk might be noisier than, say, cotton.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:28 PM

Chalkie 308 quote

"I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish afterwards - both applied with foam pads. Wiped dry with cotton cloth.

After twelve months top, back and sides are still nice and shiny"

I followed his directions and it turned out quite nicely. Definitely reduced the noise, too. Nice and shiney but not glossy.

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 08-05-2022, 05:14 PM

Yes, buffing out the satin will help with the noise. It won't buff to actual gloss, but it will get a lot shinier. Mechanical buffing is easier, but a lot of people have done it by hand.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all. I’ll give it a shot.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:59 AM

I read about Nu Finish on a Martin forum.

I used it on the front and back of the headstock on my HD-28 when I was replacing the tuning machines. Changed it from a dull matte satin to a nice gloss.

I tried the same thing on my satin Martin TK1 ukulele and it didn't seem to have any effect.

I use 0000 steel wool to de-gloss the necks on all my instruments. I wouldn't recommend it to try to turn something from satin to gloss.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:20 PM

Default You need to use a fine abrasive…

… in my experience there are two sorts of satin finish. Ones where a flattening agent is added and that have a slightly rough feel to the touch. This equates to handling noise. The other is a hand-rubbed satin finish similar to Lowden and some other builders. These feel smooth and silent to the touch.

Even 0000 wire wool will leave a fine scratch pattern which is visible and takes some skill to get it looking good. Ideally you need to make passes parallel to the grain. A similar effect can be achieved with white (ultra-fine) and grey (fine) ScothBrite pads.

Using a liquid abrasive such as automotive scratch removers, or burnishing cream, will remove the roughness and give the instrument a semi-gloss finish. If done well it can look really good but you need to be careful not to rub through the finish completely. For that reason I’d suggest doing this by hand. Polish, buff, check, and then repeat as necessary.

The hardest area will be around the bridge. You could try masking off the bridge to allow you to get right up to the edge.

I have only buffed out one Weber satin-finished mandolin which exhibited the same handling noise using T-cut. The end result was very pleasing but as mandolin bridges are removable it was easier to get an even sheen. After buffing there was no more noise and the instrument looked better than before.

Recently I’ve been experimenting with hand rubbing shellac finishes on my own classical builds. The high gloss can be successfully knocked back to satin using 0000 wire wool or the grey ScothBrite pads mentioned above.

Hope that is of some use to you.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:11 AM

I’ve done many using 0000 steel wool. Not difficult, but a little tedious around the bridge, as stated above. I have a few small bar magnets that I use to occasionally collect the steel wool particles that shed during the process.
Rb
Old 08-08-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
The hardest area will be around the bridge. You could try masking off the bridge to allow you to get right up to the edge.
This is true. And the edges by the heel and fretboard extension.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Update: yeah, it pretty much does what I hoped it would do.

Invested maybe an hour and a half using Maguires ultimate as suggested here. Worked by hand using terry cloth applicator. Buffed by hand and then applied some guitar polish I had laying around.

Not as quiet as a full gloss but a major improvement for sure. Might do it again the next time I change strings but I suspect I will find this is good enough.

Cosmetically I think it looks better with the shiny but not gloss finish it has now. Certainly no worse than the matte it had before.

Thanks for the responses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair