The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-26-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Health/Medical Concerns - RLS & Diabetes

I've been having difficulty sleeping through the night for the past couple of months. I've tried some over-the-counter stuff (to no avail) in addition to my PM antidepressants, but wake up multiple times during the night with extreme RLS. Went to the doctor last Friday and she prescribed Valium for the short term and I'll be going on an insulin regimen. I've also lost my taste (continue to test negative for COVID) and appetite so I've scrambled to find something I can eat/drink. As a result my pre-diabetes became full-blown diabetes. Prior to starting my insulin regimen, I'm watching the sugar content of everything that goes in my pie hole. The good news- BP was the lowest it's ever been; cholesterol (both kinds), sodium and chloride were low. All measurements except those related to blood sugars were within normal range...

I'd love to hear from other diabetics as to their initial experiences with an insulin regimen. Thanks....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-26-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've been having difficulty sleeping through the night for the past couple of months. I've tried some over-the-counter stuff (to no avail) in addition to my PM antidepressants, but wake up multiple times during the night with extreme RLS. Went to the doctor last Friday and she prescribed Valium for the short term and I'll be going on an insulin regimen. I've also lost my taste (continue to test negative for COVID) and appetite so I've scrambled to find something I can eat/drink. As a result my pre-diabetes became full-blown diabetes. Prior to starting my insulin regimen, I'm watching the sugar content of everything that goes in my pie hole. The good news- BP was the lowest it's ever been; cholesterol (both kinds), sodium and chloride were low. All measurements except those related to blood sugars were within normal range...

I'd love to hear from other diabetics as to their initial experiences with an insulin regimen. Thanks....
Use the Valium with care.

A pancreas congenital defect requires me to manage life like a diabetic. The diet and exercise that keep it in control also solved cardio risk and no statins. The fitness part has aided sleep, other muscle matters.

I'm not a go to gym or buy a machine or fad diet type and advise simple common sense steps for these sorts of matters. Getting used to the diet and activity changes are a lot like learning an instrument or language where you need some months and then it's not a bother at all.

Walking and bicycle riding have been easy and fun ways to get the stats better. Eating at home and preparing your own foods too. A funny side effect is how this has been simple weight loss and size 32 pants for around 15 years now!

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2022, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Use the Valium with care.
It was a five-day prescription which ends tonight. Quite frankly, I was desperate to get a good night's sleep - it had been months since my last good night's sleep. - and the valium has provided that....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2022, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Hi Randy,

I wish you well in this latest challenge. Diabetes is hard and getting used to the regimen is quite trying. I have several relatives who are dealing with the same thing that you are. It's hard.

I am very sympathetic, and hope you can learn to deal with this issue. Some of the new technologies for insulin management, I understand, are very helpful.

- Glenn
Old 07-26-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Randy,

I wish you well in this latest challenge. Diabetes is hard and getting used to the regimen is quite trying. I have several relatives who are dealing with the same thing that you are. It's hard.

I am very sympathetic, and hope you can learn to deal with this issue. Some of the new technologies for insulin management, I understand, are very helpful.

- Glenn
I'm not second guessing last Friday's test results; but at the same time, my diet has been especially awful (it was never good) for the past month and my loss of taste has led me to eat stuff for flavor and ignore sugar content. I'm monitoring my sugar intake closely now but wonder if the test results for sugar weren't artificially and temporarily high...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

RLS can be associated with deficiencies of iron stores (measured by ferritin levels) long before being iron deficient or anemic. Make sure you are assessed for that (ferritin > 70 is the goal) and any cause determined, if found. That may help the RLS without resorting to medication, and potentially diagnose a more concerning medical problem.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
RLS can be associated with deficiencies of iron stores (measured by ferritin levels) long before being iron deficient or anemic. Make sure you are assessed for that (ferritin > 70 is the goal) and any cause determined, if found. That may help the RLS without resorting to medication, and potentially diagnose a more concerning medical problem.
I read that and started taking an iron supplement. I've been anemic in the past...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2022, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I highly recommend a continuous glucose monitoring system, like the ones you see advertised all the time, FreeStyle, etc...

Not only do you avoid needle sticks to your fingers multiple times per day, but it gives you a graph to where you can really see what affects your glucose levels and how much. Many of my patients are astounded to see how thrice daily finger sticks were actually misleading, depending on when they were taken. Also, how much exercise positively affects glucose metabolism, to the point many can avoid insulin altogether with an exercise regimen.

My endocrinologist friends tell me these devices have truly revolutionized diabetic and pre-diabetic management, yet are widely underused.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 07-26-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
It was a five-day prescription which ends tonight. Quite frankly, I was desperate to get a good night's sleep - it had been months since my last good night's sleep. - and the valium has provided that....
Yeah, better living through modern chemistry. I've been diabetic for going on 30 yrs.It takes time to get used to what works for you.My first doc taught me that I shouldnt rely on him since I wasnt with him everyday and its best to learn to deal with it by experimentation.He gave me some guides and insulin and sent me home. As someone mentioned the new continuous glucose monitors are incredible. My A1C was always right around 7 to 7.5 or so.Since I started using the monitor, I use the Dexcom, my A1C is consistently below 7.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I highly recommend a continuous glucose monitoring system, like the ones you see advertised all the time, FreeStyle, etc...

Not only do you avoid needle sticks to your fingers multiple times per day, but it gives you a graph to where you can really see what affects your glucose levels and how much. Many of my patients are astounded to see how thrice daily finger sticks were actually misleading, depending on when they were taken. Also, how much exercise positively affects glucose metabolism, to the point many can avoid insulin altogether with an exercise regimen.

My endocrinologist friends tell me these devices have truly revolutionized diabetic and pre-diabetic management, yet are widely underused.
Sounds great. Will definitely ask about that...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I read that and started taking an iron supplement. I've been anemic in the past...

But don’t forget a good evaluation. Iron isn’t necessarily the final answer and if you are anemic, you need to know why. Dangerous just to take the iron and hope for the best.

The old medical adage is that a man with iron deficiency anemia has colon cancer until proved otherwise.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not second guessing last Friday's test results; but at the same time, my diet has been especially awful (it was never good) for the past month and my loss of taste has led me to eat stuff for flavor and ignore sugar content. I'm monitoring my sugar intake closely now but wonder if the test results for sugar weren't artificially and temporarily high...
I'm a little confused. You sound like you're not entirely certain that you have diabetes. I'm assuming that you were diagnosed with type II diabetes? If so it seems a little strange that you would be put on insulin immediately without trying an oral agent first. Although it is a good idea to watch sugar intake, that is not the cause of elevated blood sugar in type II diabetes. Hyperglycemia is a result of elevated glucose production in the liver.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 07-26-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Ah, that will insure not getting into trouble, and if you can spare one for a later time consider that. If you've had some rest, you might want that help again in a week or few.

Beyond that, my continued best wishes. I hope you can report back in the near future that matters are much improved! Good luck!
Old 07-26-2022, 01:44 PM

I am a type2 diabetic for the last 30 years. Only on oral meds. I agree with the previous post that asked why they have you going to insulin. Were you on oral meds? What was your HG1ac at your last test?

I watch what I eat but I’m not a fanatic about it. I’m 76 now and weigh 165. I’m 5’8. Used to be 5’9. My HG1ac was 6.2 at last blood test. I get one every three months was 6.4 before that. Never over 7 except I rang the bell at 8 during the pandemic. Too much comfort food.

I’m currently taking Metformin and Januvia. Ben like that for 20 years at least.

Rich
Old 07-26-2022, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Lots of great questions for my doctor...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic