The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 12:47 AM

Default 1 single mid-high level guitar or a little collection?

Hi everyone,
I have 6 guitars that all together cost more or less the same as how much I have to pay for a MARTIN 00-28 VS.
Since the 00-size guitar with wide nut and wide string spacing (nut and bridge) is my cup of tea, I took this Martin as an example.
So this martin would be my perfect guitar (to be honest I prefer mahogany back and side instead of rosewood, ).
I was thinking if I would be happy changing my little collection for this Martin... my answer has been very fast and convinced... the answer is NO!.
I am happy with the palette of sounds that I have from my guitars and each of them has its signature sound. I could be pretty satisfied with only one of them, and if I had only one, I would be happy to change it for the Martin 00, but, altogether, I am not even tempted.

So after this morning though within myself. I would like to hear your personal preference: Do you would prefer a very good single guitar or a little collection that is worth more or less the same as the single one?
Old 07-18-2022, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cri75! View Post
I am happy with the palette of sounds that I have from my guitars and each of them has its signature sound.
Do you would prefer a very good single guitar or a little collection that is worth more or less the same as the single one?
For different sonic properties, I think I'll be ok with just 1 guitar. Currently, I don't know what I like yet, so I'm still exploring.

You see, I already have experience in this area: I went thru many ukuleles to find the one. Once I found it, my ukulele-GAS disappeared and I just don't play any others.

I think I'll probably go thru similar with the guitar. But, guitar is a little more varied than ukuleles. So, I' think I'll eventually end up with 5 guitars: 1 electrtic, 1 acoustic, 1 classical, 1 acoustic travel guitar, and 1 nylon-string travel or crossover guitar.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

I can’t really say definitively that I prefer a single guitar over many. I think having one allows you to concentrate on the music more. But it’s fun to have several options. I’ve debated selling mine and getting a boutique $3-4k guitar, but I’ve read so many here who have done that only to go back to “lesser” Martins since they prefer that tone.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:21 AM

Full disclosure, I mainly play electric, and have and play (according to my wife) too many, but I think the question is still partially relevant to me...do I want a custom shop Strat/Gibson etc or 6 or 7 decent other guitars?

For me, definitely the latter. The variation in each guitar is enough to keep me interested, and I can tweak all of them to sound, and feel, good.

However...saying that, having just got my first "proper" acoustic...yeah. If I had to I would have sold a bunch to get this one. It just felt right from the start.

(And I never sell any guitar, they all have stories to tell.)

So, not much help from me other than if you can find a guitar (whatever it is) that floats your boat...grab it.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I’ve debated selling mine and getting a boutique $3-4k guitar, but I’ve read so many here who have done that only to go back to “lesser” Martins since they prefer that tone.
I had many ukuleles before finding the one. The funny thing is, even after I bought "the one", I didn't know it. It took many more ukuleles (and a few much more expensive ones too) for me to realize just how well that one uke suited me.

IMHO, don't bet everything on that 1 boutique guitar; and be prepared to discover a surprise that more expensive doesn't necessarily equate better for _YOU_. I emphasze "you" because you are unique; we are all unique. What works for the custom builder and his followers might not always work for eveybody.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

I had many guitars. Now I have three. If I were you, now that the bug is in your ear, go out in your free time. Try some small body guitars with mahogany. Try a Gibson LG2, an L00, a Gibson J45-Studio, a Martin 00-18, 000-18, 00-15m, Taylor AD22, 27, and 17.

If one works out for you, then trade the gaggle in and don’t look back. Lots of guitars, lots of maintenance, lots of space, lots of distraction.

Keep one as a backup!

Whoa. Edited. This is in buy and sell. I forgot this model: CEO7. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=649684

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 07-18-2022 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:56 AM

Default 1 single mid-high level guitar or a little collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I had many guitars. Now I have three. If I were you, now that the bug is in your ear, go out in your free time. Try some small body guitars with mahogany. Try a Gibson LG2, an L00, a Gibson J45-Studio, a Martin 00-18, 000-18, 00-15m, Taylor AD22, 27, and 17.

If one works out for you, then trade the gaggle in and don’t look back. Lots of guitars, lots of maintenance, lots of space, lots of distraction.

Keep one as a backup!

Whoa. Edited. This is in buy and sell. I forgot this model: CEO7. https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=649684

No, luckily I do not have any bug or gas up to now.
I already bought a good (for my standard) guitar: an Eastman 00. It has all of I want. But I still play all the others, especially my Guild P 240 memoir.
My question thread is a pure curiosity of your opinion on this topic.

P.S. About the maintenance, I am very lucky: I like the sound of dead strings.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:50 AM

Your collection is very good for sure but since you are gazing at one particular guitar I think that one single guitar would be better. A couple of years ago I was in the same situation
Old 07-18-2022, 03:59 AM

At that price point I'd rather one nice acoustic. Something balanced like an OM but your 00 plan sounds great.

For electrics I'd choose the opposite as cheaper electrics have gotten extremely good.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:23 AM

The answer is different for everyone.

The good thing is when you've figured out your answer, and it reads like you have.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-18-2022, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

In the other thread, I wrote that I don't want an $8000 guitar and I'd rather have several less expensive ones. In this case, I would much rather have a, 00-28 than 6 low priced guitars.

I'd say that you should sell 5 of them, keep one for back-up, and get the 00-28!
Old 07-18-2022, 04:31 AM

I have had up to five acoustics at the same time. Now I only have two great guitars and they cover all my needs. A spruce and mahogany (sapele) dread and a cedar and rosewood parlor. I do not need anything else!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-18-2022, 05:57 AM

These multiple threads on related subjects are starting to tie together. I think one reason I've never ran into a lack of desire or inspiration to play music is my wide variety of instruments to play. Just talking about guitars, I currently have an old Ovation 12 string, a carved top and back Eastman archtop, a gypsy jazz Sel-Mac copy, a Martin HD-28, round neck resonator and cedar topped OM.

All different sizes, shapes and sounds (and variety of original purchase cost too). All together valued around $8,000 based on what these are selling for in similar condition. Actual replacement cost with new models is over $10,000. There's no way I want to give up all those different sounds and memories on a single great guitar at $8 - $10 k, even though I know such a guitar would likely far exceed the sound and playability of most of my current ones.

I'll add that I have friends who also like different sounds and choose to get a bunch of lower end instruments to scratch that itch - say in the under $500 US range. That doesn't work for me personally. I would probably prefer a single good Martin/Gibson/Taylor OM or dread over several budget/beginner instruments. The diminishing returns thing comes into play here - for me, a $1500 guitar is twice as good as most $500 guitars. But a $6000 guitar isn't (to me) twice as good as a $3000 guitar, and so on.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

There are different “correct” responses to this, depending on our playing styles, environments and perceptions.

Since I play fingerstyle for myself in the quiet of my livingroom, I’d go for that 00 28 without hesitation. Over twenty years of buying and selling I’ve learnt to appreciate the subtleties of tone improvement that can be achieved with higher-priced guitars. Martin make fine guitars and if this one is worth as much as everything else I own I would expect to hear and enjoy a significant improvement in tone from it, which improves my musical enjoyment.

But OP, your needs and wants may be very different to mine. So go with what makes you happy!
Old 07-18-2022, 06:32 AM

I was one to look at the inexpensive guitars. But I have stepped up a level or two. Doesn't mean that I don't still look at the inexpensive ones.

When I go to jams it's the Takamine's that go along. But at home I still play the Indiana's and the Lotus. And sometimes one them go to a jam with the Takamine just to show it a little love.

I have never sold a guitar. I do play all that I have. I like the difference in the sound of all of them. Even though one of them sounds like a muffled box of mud. It still has it's niche.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion