The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Historic Jumbo 1934 is a bigger body than the J45 with advanced x bracing. Short scale. Louder, bassier J-45. That or an Iris DF would get the tone you’d want. Thicker necks though. Don’t underestimate either impact of neck girth on tone or the ability to adapt to a bigger neck. Good luck.

There’s a reasonably priced one listed here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=651493
Old 08-17-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I don't recognize rosewood guitars as being J 45s. So there.

By far the most appealing J 45 I've played was a J 45 vintage. It came the closest to a 40s/50s J 45 of anything I've played. Only drawback was the color of the burst on the torrified top. Fine guitar with a nice neck.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-17-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I don't recognize rosewood guitars as being J 45s. So there.

By far the most appealing J 45 I've played was a J 45 vintage. It came the closest to a 40s/50s J 45 of anything I've played. Only drawback was the color of the burst on the torrified top. Fine guitar with a nice neck.
Sweet! This makes me happy because I have one coming in the mail lol.

How would you describe the neck?

I actually like the subdued sunburst look a bit... sorta makes me think of a ambertone martin but darker on the edge... Mine is a bit of a more traditional looking burst... I'll post pics once it's in.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

I've had a J-45 Vintage and a custom J-45 whose main difference was an Adirondack top and different burst. The custom had the same neck as the standard J-45. The Vintage had better bass and a more comfortable neck. The necks on both were not that large and were both playable to me (I don't like super-big vintage-style necks), but the one on the custom felt less rounded and so slightly less full. The fuller-feeling Vintage neck also had rolled fingerboard edges, so there was some extra comfort from that. Overall the Vintage was easier for me to play because of those differences.

Santa Cruz H, Martin D28A 1937, 000-28AA 1937, 000-15M, Fairbanks F-20NL, Walker Wise River
Old 08-29-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Riley View Post
Sweet! This makes me happy because I have one coming in the mail lol.

How would you describe the neck?

I actually like the subdued sunburst look a bit... sorta makes me think of a ambertone martin but darker on the edge... Mine is a bit of a more traditional looking burst... I'll post pics once it's in.
would love to hear your opinion (and photos!) once it has arrived
Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez PS-10BK Paul Stanley
Takamine en-30c
Old 08-29-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul300 View Post
would love to hear your opinion (and photos!) once it has arrived
Glad you said something - I was just about to post up my new to me guitar day :-)

I've had her for a little over a week now - and it has been probably the most interesting week with a new guitar that I have had...

My overall impressions - she's absolutely gorgeous! Love the neck... I was worried about this part but it's actually one of my favorite necks I have played... very comfy... alllllmosttttt a "soft V" - feels like you took a j-45 standard slim taper and whacked the shoulders back a hair and maybe added a hair of thickness... but you don't think "V" when you play it... hard to describe, but I dig it.

Edit to add: The one thing I'm not digging is the tuners... they just feel course and "cheap" - not sure if anyone has any drop in suggestions? After my setup it holds tune well now, so I think they work (Low E tuner feels loose tho) - I'd love a set of open waverlys but I think the hole spacing is wrong...

So tone... this has been where the really weird "journey" has been for me.

Initially, I was pretty underwhelmed - it came with very dead lights - I put some new mediums on, and that helped - but it was a bit brighter then I was anticipating and seemed to be lacking low end girth and was sorta meh honestly. I do a fair amount of acoustic set up work, so I set up the relief, nut, and the action was a hair low (2mm) so I shimmed the saddle using a Colosi shim. This helped but it was still not quite what I was wanting.

Now, this is my first Adi-topped guitar and I had read they sometimes need a decent thrashing to "wake up" + the guy I bought it from was almost exclusively a finger picker... so I busted out a heavy pick and went to town for a couple hours. This seemed to really open it up and help.

Day by day over the week it got better and better... then I decided to look up the humidity where it came from "80%" for the last 2-3 weeks... hmmm maybe she was just wet... so I left the case open for a few days and left her on the stand - this helped a bit too... so we are like 4-5 days in at this point and a good 20% better then where we started. I got out my mirror and light... and good grief - Gibson must have used and entire can of hide glue on this thing... oozed out around and on the bridge plate, several braces had "globs" on it... so I pulled out some 300 grit paper and sanded the bridge plate down to clean wood, and lightly sanded as much of the braces as I could reach to get some of the obvious "globs" of glue off and down to clean wood... better still!

The final piece was over the weekend I installed a full height, compensated bone saddle - sanded it to a snug, but not tight fit, set the action at 2.25mm... and with a couple hours of playing a day - it's basically to the "monster" level now lol.

Very resonate, loud, and fun to play! Adi is a bit brighter then I'm used to, but as the strings wear in, I think I'm starting to appreciate the adi top. I would like a tad more bass, but every day it seems to get bit bassier then the previous day - and it's in my "i'm good with it, anything else is a bonus" category now... it's full, warm, and even sounding and will thud when you dig in.

Blind testing with my wife and it hung with the martins better then I expected. It's still all "gibson" but it's light weight and resonate and just seems to be getting better as it dries out/plays in... it's also getting louder - from pure DB standpoint it's approaching my D-18, with a different EQ curve, but in a blind test listening to my wife play, it was not as different as I was expecting it would be... And actually in her blind test she thought it was the D-18.

I have never had such a "meh" to "awesome" journey over a week with a guitar as I have had with this one.

I'll keep you updated... I'm excited to play it everyday when I get home from work because it just seems to keep improving lol.

If anyone has any tips, or similar journeys let me know - I know humidity and all of those other factors added up make a difference, but it just feels almost like a different guitar then it did a week ago... very interesting. Day one it was sorta lifeless and uninspiring... Yesterday I sad outside for an hour and marveled at how it felt alive and resonate and "light".

Couple pics:

Last edited by Dean Riley; 08-29-2022 at 02:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion