The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-17-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
I'm not insensitive to the sex appeal of these behemoths (the word was aptly chosen!) but I've always wondered what exactly their purpose is, or maybe just how different the work done in the US is from what we do in Europe.

I can see the point of a flat bed truck. We have those too, but they'll look a lot less sexy (but seem a lot more practical):

(often the bed will actually be larger than the cab).

OK, those don't typically have AWD but the few times I've seen a (Japanese) pickup doing off-road work (actually an unpaved mountain road) I got the distinct impression it'd shed most of its cargo en route...

Typical pickup trucks ... they seem more designed for use in films featuring warlords in Africa; big gun mounted over the cab and a bunch of trigger-happy fighters clinging on for dear life

You were looking for a smaller alternative? How about this cutie (doesn't even require a license here in France)
I like that "ute", and on the USA style......

The 2nd gen (1967–1972) Chevrolet C/K pickups in the USA were a big start in the acceleration of the comfort/fancy features in light trucks. I can jokingly say I know it well because the 1950s through earlier 1960s Chevy and Ford cabs were among my day care centers.

The light trucks became more popular as full-frame cars became less and the general population gained a lot of weight. Dodge (now part of Stellantis) made a big leap in the 1990s others followed in a stylistic sense.

The 1990s Dodge Ram pickups started a styling theme to mock USA heavy duty (class 8) trucks. I mean the 1994 Ram vs the ones that came from D series. That started a whole lot of macho marketing and image the whole industry followed.

There were movies that made Class 8 trucks romantic, and I think as there were fewer people in ag and blue collar jobs that made driving a "truck" attractive and it still is. A few generations of people and vehicles have made the pickups attractive to many and as well as status symbol at same time a whole lot of them are still sold as work vehicles.

Fantastic marketing and the way people like images made a lot of change in the auto market in US. To me there's some humor and irony with the popularity. A few friends share it. They are farmers or self-employed tradesmen. We had or have them from economic necessity and some of us still live with not so romantic or fancy versions. It's rather a split market between actual vocational or work pickups and the fancier ones.

I love work trucks and not so much the fancy ones. Having driven Kenworths and Macks in hard jobs I them but had enough. I think the pickups imitating the class 8 trucks are sort of silly.

I keep a photo of this bigger but same cab as a 1950s Chevrolet pickup as a reminder of where I came from. The sounds, smells and remembering my dad and his dad never leave my mind. When I see a family or kid in an old beat up truck I think of my elders, my past, and wish them the best for the occupants.

Old 08-17-2022, 03:28 PM

Well, there are a few inadequately informed folks posting to this thread about EV’s….

I will grant you that an EV might not be a comfortable choice for you if you have one car and an iffy power grid and no back up generator. But people who don’t fit that description are, IMO, making a mistake to let their fears and preconceptions shape their decision about whether to buy an EV.

I bought a Tesla Model 3 2 months ago. 325 mile range for the extended range version (vs 267 miles for the entry level version that costs $37K). If I were to purchase the software package that boosts the power (0-60 a fraction of a second faster), or buy a more expensive and faster model (like the Plaid) it would have a minimal effect on range. Rapid acceleration and heavy loads will reduce range of an EV , but not as much as they do with gas powered engine. The chief thing that reduces range of an EV is extreme cold temperatures….but even though I live in New England, this did not dissuade me from buying my Tesla.

This is the best car I have owned, by far (the contenders include a Toyota Cressida, an Infiniti G35, and a Audi A4…along with all the smaller and cheaper cars of my youth:Toyotas, VW bug, Fords, etc.). It will last twice as long as any gas powered vehicle (so at age 68, this may be my last car purchase). Comfortable, quiet, corners like it is on rails, dizzyingly fast, as safe or safer than any other car on the market. And minimal maintenance: No more oil changes, No more spark plugs to replace, fewer belts, no hoses to rot or wear out. A dream to take on long drives if you use the Enhanced Autopilot (which, despite the “controversy”, and the infrequent horror atories, and fears about loss of control, is much safer than most drivers could ever hope to be; the “controversy” is reminiscent of the “controversy” about seat belts, with folks saying they wanted to be “thrown free”, somehow overlooking all the hard objects and surfaces that one would encounter).

I understand that it is a big mental and emotional shift to go with an EV…some won’t be able to make those shifts. For most folks, it will take some time and serious research and a couple of test drives to feel comfortable enough to take the plunge. But, like with most things, best not to cave in to your preconceptions, fears, and reflexive resistance to change.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Is that a Mini?

It's a mini but not a Mini It's a Chatenet CH33... one of the license-free cars France invented for people without a driving permit. Typically driving by a 500cc twin-cylinder diesel that's limited to a bit over 5hp and 45kph. Very few of them are for those who can't afford to take driving lessons though: typically they'll run around 15k€ new, and I've heard horror stories about their reliability.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-17-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I love work trucks and not so much the fancy ones.
Can you get the VW Amarok in the US. I understand that's actually a pretty serious model.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 08-17-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Well, there are a few inadequately informed folks posting to this thread about EV’s….
I agree, the term will always conjure up this image for me

Old 08-18-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The economy size bit, was that intended as a compliment (and if so, for whom)?

France already has 2 huge car companies, but I'd look more to Germany for practically useful innovation. That's also where the signals came from that the policitians may be moving too swiftly and bluntly.
The French have done well with high end fountain pens if not automobiles but the whole world does not value those as once was the case.

The reality is many brands we know world-wide are now international teams of people. I wish good luck to Stellantis in what to me is a pretty tough fight among car makers. The Koreans have become really good at it, watch out for the Chinese, and Tesla is much less of an upstart than a short while ago.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree, the term will always conjure up this image for me

I used to have a Bassa…pearl white. Bella…
Old 08-21-2022, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

This could be good news for me;

https://gmauthority.com/...d-to-buy-study-says/

I saw this article. If only 20% of Silverado reservation holders go through with the deal, I could probably have mine sometime next fall. First they will fill the fleet orders for the Work Trucks, then the top of the line RST, then start filling orders. Also, gas prices going down, will probably cause people to bail out. Yippie, I might be ''going electric'' sooner than I planned!
Old 08-23-2022, 08:16 AM

The Out Of Spec Reviews YouTube channel recently published a very nice deep dive on the problems EV charging. The bottom line is that the quality of EVs has increased dramatically in the last year but the charging network hasn't. The limitations on charging availability has limited the long range use of non-Tesla EVs, particularly trucks. I'd include a home charging solution in your list of EV-related purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnar6YZrn4Y&t=1945s
Old 08-23-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
\The limitations on charging availability has limited the long range use of non-Tesla EVs, particularly trucks.
Because Tesla has a nation-wide network without any limitations even in the remoter areas?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/08...ng-says-study/

I'd want to see a roughly 450 mile radius minimum, WITH reliably available charging points interspaced at no more than 50 miles apart even in remote areas. Without that EVs will remain a "rurban" solution to me, not suitable for rural or long-distance applications.

Do these fancy connectors contain some kind of identification mechanism which would allow to bill the delivered charge to the user? If so you could think of an implementation where publicly accessible "private" charge points (like the ones I've seen in my village here) would allow anyone to charge.

Or maybe we'll start seeing alternative solutions like those the Trabant owners of old resorted too in times of fuel scarcity

(I was looking for a picture of the coal-fired steam engine adaptation I once saw, but couldn't find any)

Old 08-23-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Without that EVs will remain a "rurban" solution to me, not suitable for rural or long-distance applications.
Side note, I was talking to the farmer that I buy straw from and he was actually looking forward to having an EV truck to support his farm. His daily driving isn't so far so the current battery pack is plenty for him. He can charge at home and not have to go into town to buy gas or maintain a home gas tank. Plus, these trucks have inverters included so he doesn't need to haul a generator for his welders and power tools.

As with everything, nothing is going to be a one size fits all but I think there is definitely a use case for EVs in rural environments.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:23 PM

True, if you can have/need a dedicated vehicle that will never need to exceed its effective range then an EV with home-charging can indeed be a boon for rural use.

I know EVs can have crazy accelerations but can they also have the same hauling (pulling) power as a good old big ICE? They do not typically have the same kind of gear boxes you find in gas guzzlers (and that are AFAIK crucial here)?

Old 08-23-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I know EVs can have crazy accelerations but can they also have the same hauling (pulling) power as a good old big ICE? They do not typically have the same kind of gear boxes you find in gas guzzlers (and that are AFAIK crucial here)?
Actually, the "pulling power" of EV trucks is quite amazing. There have been tugs-of-war set up between the basic F150 Lightening and a giant RAM truck, and the lowly F150 won. So, the tests so far indicate that tow power isn't an issue. Range is.

You can load the bed of an F150 up to its maximum capacity and barely lose an inch of range, provided you keep the load within the aerodynamic envelope of the cab. However, if you pull anything, the aero losses are substantial, and you could lose up to 50% of your normal range. That's where the shortcomings of the charging network come into play.

If you're just trucking around the farm or around town, these EV trucks are going to be great. Just charge up at home or the shop or whatever, and never see a gas station again. But, if long range toe-hauling is your application, then the national charging network will be a significant limitation. It's not so much a lack of stations. It's that a lot of them are out of order and off line a lot of the time.

Last edited by AX17609; 08-23-2022 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I understand that it is a big mental and emotional shift to go with an EV…some won’t be able to make those shifts. For most folks, it will take some time and serious research and a couple of test drives to feel comfortable enough to take the plunge. But, like with most things, best not to cave in to your preconceptions, fears, and reflexive resistance to change.
Not just mental and emotional - the financial considerations are not exactly trivial, either.

Edmunds.com shows the list price for a Tesla Model 3 as $48,190. The extended range version is an eye-watering $59,190.

Could I afford that? Well, yes, in the sense that I could come up with the money - but when I have two, bought and paid for, late model vehicles in my garage, neither of which has much more than 20,000 miles on it, I just can’t see the prudence in such a purchase at this time.

We could, conceivably, replace one of the existing vehicles with an EV. It would be entirely functional for a good portion of our current car use, and we’ll consider it when the time comes. Hopefully by then there’ll be something at the lower end of the EV market that I’d actually want to buy and drive.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-23-2022, 03:18 PM

I have a Tesla Cyber Truck on order . I ordered the single motor 39,999 . My number is in the 445,000 . They have only built two so far ……So far it looks like
2024 ……Not really concerned I can cancel but the EVs don’t seem to have much for towing trailers. It would be a weekend toy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic