The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-10-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Stephen Kinnaird - Lutz/MBW Small Jumbo

Howdy!

The day I picked up my 000-12 Commission from Steve and Ryan last year I left them a check deposit for this year's.

For most of the past 6 months this was going to be a CS-13 with Lutz or European Spruce over some kind of ebony, but after re-assessing my current collection and looking at holes, I decided to go with a bigger model. We discussed a 12 fret SJ but because I decided not to do a cutaway I decided I would like to get another fret's worth of real estate for the 2.7 times per year that I get that high on the neck; hence, the 13 Fret SJ it is.

Steve has a stash of tops that would be the envy of pretty much everyone and his clean lutz may be the most guarded. I've offered him all sorts of trades for one and have only succeeded in getting some good-natured eye-rolls in return. I have 3 Lutz-topped guitars currently and it is consistently a safe choice for me. I think it's visually one of (if not) the best and tonally has a lot of what I love about Sitka and what I love about Adi.

Fortunately, Steve is letting one of his favorites go to build this guitar:

For the back and sides I considered every set of ebony that Steve has (a lot) as well as the varied selection I have in my collection. I was really torn between going with something highly figured (see the koa on last year's commission) vs relatively plain, and in the end decided on a set of Malaysian Blackwood i picked up last year that is clean and straight-grained with some nice reds and greens and a couple of ink lines. MBW has always been intriguing to me and I've never owned a guitar made from it. Another factor that played into this was that I wanted to do a "wow" choice for the binding, bevel, and (possibly) rosette and I liked the idea of relatively "plain" B/S to help the accents pop.

Ryan is inlaying the backstrip, bending sides, mocking up the rosette, and assembling the rim assembly this week.

Thanks for following along; more pics to come!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.

Last edited by BlackKeys36; 08-10-2022 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Awesome!

Awesome wood choices, John--I really look forward to seeing this one come together. It's always great fun watching any build, let alone a Kinnaird West one.

I love the 13-fret configuration myself as well both tonally and for that extra fret.

I'm up playing at the 12-fret range frequently as well, although I would estimate my ventures up there at around 2.35 times per year!

Thanks for sharing your build with us...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Rosette Work

I absolutely love the rosette on my 2021 000-12 Kinnaird commission and want something similar:

000-12 Rosette:

I wanted a little less of the yellow/orange that macassar brings to the table because of the color of the binding (incoming shortly). After considering quite a few options and almost driving Ryan to block my cell number, we settled on this piece of Brazilian...

Current state:

We ended up ordering some shell for the outer rings that will be in next week...it's gonna be great!

Thanks for following along!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looks great! The Lutz and MB should be a wonderful combination. Dave
Old 08-12-2022, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Great looking sets of tonewood.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 08-13-2022, 04:54 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Your tonewood selections are spectacular. Really like that back. And the rosette looks great so far.

I love the tone in the Kinnaird SJ. Ever since I played Tom's. They are special.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got MBW on the back of my Stehr, with a Carpathian top. I love it. Hope you have the same reaction. This is going to be a wonderful build!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

Last edited by mikealpine; 08-14-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Smile Woohoo

This will be fun to watch come together!

Enjoy the ride

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-14-2022, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Some nice looking wood there…
Old 08-16-2022, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

John,

You have selected some gorgeous tone woods. It is going to be a stunner! I don't care how many times I see that 000-12 rosette of yours, I just can't get enough. I am sure the new one will be awesome as well. Looking forward to watching all the build decisions come together. Enjoy the ride...

John
Old 08-16-2022, 05:51 AM

That back wood is gorgeous, but are you sure you're on the same page concerning the shape? That outline looks like a dreadnought to me, not a jumbo

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 08-16-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
That back wood is gorgeous, but are you sure you're on the same page concerning the shape? That outline looks like a dreadnought to me, not a jumbo
Touché

Maybe Steve & Ryan decided to make their lives (and sides) complicated and do an SJ top with a dreadnought back.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Binding

Thanks all for the comments. I spent last Friday in Nacogdoches at the shop and, of course, it's even more stunning in person.

For the binding I decided to use some fiddleback mahogany. Steve and Ryan had a matching neck stringer and we will likely use the same for the end graft and an arm bevel.

Ryan has already inlaid the first strip in the back, so if you have strong thoughts against fiddleback mahogany for binding it's too late

Last edited by BlackKeys36; 08-16-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

It’s raining Kinnairds. Have fun!
Old 08-19-2022, 04:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
Thanks all for the comments. I spent last Friday in Nacogdoches at the shop and, of course, it's even more stunning in person.

For the binding I decided to use some fiddleback mahogany. Steve and Ryan had a matching neck stringer and we will likely use the same for the end graft and an arm bevel.

Ryan has already inlaid the first strip in the back, so if you have strong thoughts against fiddleback mahogany for binding it's too late

Beautiful work guys. I love that fiddle back mahogany. It’s a perfect addition to the color palet here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop