The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Eastman E2OM for the win.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/e2om

All solid wood, ebony fretboard and bridge and can be had for under $500
Old 04-20-2018, 01:05 PM

I don't own one, but I almost did. I played a Guild OM-120 ("Westerly", I think they called it?) at a store that was closing, and I was inches from buying it but I had just bought a guitar earlier in the week and couldn't pull the trigger.

I kick myself sometimes for it, even though I now own a much more expensive OM. I wish I also had that Guild I'd played. It sounded and felt great, amazing value for the price. Nice hybrid case, wouldn't be afraid to take it on the road with me when the Martin is staying home.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Looking for OM-120

Hey, I'm on the lookout for a used Guild OM-120.
Cheers,
Robert,
Nova Scotia, Canada
Old 12-10-2019, 08:24 AM

I have a Guild OM-120 and can't recommend it highly enough. I bought it used (but untouched, as far as I could tell) about a year ago as a guitar I'd take to festivals, campfires, etc. I was extremely impressed from my first strum. It's not just a good guitar for the money, it's a good guitar period. It's good for strumming, flatpicking, fingerpicking.

All my guitar-playing friends are also very impressed. The comment I keep getting is "Wait, you paid how much for that?!?" It's a keeper.
2021 Martin 000-28
2017 Guild OM-120
Old 03-24-2022, 08:23 AM

Default reply to TBMan

TBman,

What guitar are you playing on your demo?

Jim
Old 03-24-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a D-120ce that I bought used. It's a decent guitar that rings out a bit.
TBMan,

What guitar are you playing on the demo?

Jim S.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:43 AM

I owned one for awhile. Nicely built, great tone, but the neck wasn’t for me.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:57 AM

Any updates on this Guild? Others experience with it? Sounds good and looks good on Youtube, never seen one at GC or anywhere I have been.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:05 PM

If only the OM-120 had a matte finish. I can't help but think that the finish may affect the tone or projection. But given how much people like them, maybe that's not an issue.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

We have an OM-20 in stock. Ready to purchase.
Contact us to make an offer.
We could also make a short video of it if you would like to hear and see it.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:58 AM

I own a Guild M-120 that I adore. Its a little smaller than the OM-120 that you're looking at, but I would guess that the OM would sound just as good and be built just as well.

If you're on a tight budget a used Ibanez AC240 may be a good option. They're not all solid but they sound great and seem to be highly regarded here. The AC340 is the current version of it. I just picked up an AC240 and my brother owns an AC340 and they're both great guitars.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I have an OM-120. Superb guitar, but a different sound than, say, a Martin 000-15M. More present, possibly due to the gloss finish.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass

Last edited by personatech; 03-16-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:53 PM

i played an m120 too recently and was impressed . boxy ish, but sounds great for what it is.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I have had an OM-120 Guild for a little over one week. (I had just returned a Guild D-120 with an overset neck.) This one also had an overset neck, but less so. It was a blemished demo at a discount. After a few days I decided to keep it and get to work on it.

It has needed a lot of setup attention: nut slot filing, tweaks of the truss rod, a taller saddle, some fret sanding and crowning and polishing, etc. The new saddle sticks up just under 1/4" from the top of the bridge; the strings are 5/8" above the deck at the front edge of the saddle - both taller than optimum. If I had paid full price I would have sent this guitar back, too.

I replaced the gritty and sloppy open back Guild tuners with a new open back model from Gotoh: SE-700-06M. This is the fourth time I have put Gotohs on one of my guitars. Again, the improvement is dramatic. I used a toothpick to put a small smear of grease on the string posts where they rest in the bushings. (Decades-old Campagnolo grease from my years as a bicycle mechanic.)

To fit the Gotoh bushings, I had to file the holes through the peg head a little larger. 6 of the mounting screws needed new holes; 6 worked well in the existing holes. The footprint of the Gotohs is slightly smaller than the Guilds' but the same shape, so it's barely noticeable that the tuners are replacements.

I have the action set lower than any of my other guitars, between 0.085 and 0.060" - partly because the saddle is already pretty high - but I am enjoying the ease of play. It came with D'Addario XT PB lights, which I had never used but liked. One finally broke yesterday and I put on D'Ad EJ16 PB lights, which are my most oft-used strings.

It is a light and responsive guitar, nice looking, too. I think of it as an all-solid complement to and possible replacement for my Yamaha AC1R. It is pleasingly light weight (no electronics) and feels livelier than the Yammi, putting out more sound with less force on the strings. The Yammi feels and sounds more constrained by comparison. I like the slightly wider and deeper neck compared to the Yammi's. The Guild seems to encourage and reward more subtle plucking and strumming. (I play without a pick, using thumb and fingers and nails.)

Overall impression is it's a good looking, good value guitar that may fall short of Yamaha's manufacturing precision (watch those neck sets) but with a caring and careful setup will be a pleasure to play.
Old 03-18-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strings By Mail View Post
We have an OM-20 in stock. Ready to purchase.
Contact us to make an offer.
We could also make a short video of it if you would like to hear and see it.
I didn't know you guys had an account, and as a side note you're my preferred source for strings!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion