The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Honestly, I also think it would be helpful for most guitarists to spend about 15 minutes a day playing ukulele out of something like jumping Jim's daily ukulele book. Volume 2 is best in my opinion, but it gives you a lot of perspective on how just how essential (or NOT) the full versions of these chords really are. There are important notes in every chord, but it usually isn't ALL of them. Most really good players mute out nonessential tones (according to whatever they want in the moment) regardless of what it looks like they're playing with their left hand.

Experiment with forming the full version but trying to bring out certain notes more clearly etc. Again, the third of that B chord is on the second string. Really aim to bring that one out.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Try putting a capo on the 4th or 5th fret and trying that Bb chord with the one finger bar on strings 2, 3, & 4. It might be a bit easier up there. Once you master it with the capo at 5, move the capo to 4 & master, then move capo to 3 & master, etc....

Also, try ROLLING the finger you are barring with so the side of the finger nearest your thumb is more on the strings.

ALSO, try using a foot rest on the left leg, resting your guitar on the left leg, and elevating the headstock towards your head (like a classical guitarist).

ALSO ALSO, remember you have the equivalent of a universal joint in the combination of your shoulder, elbow, wrist, and fingers. With your fretting hand TOTALLY RELAXED try various angles of that universal joint, various thumb placements & hand angles, various finger angles, until the finger placement for the chord seems EASIEST, and THEN apply just a bit of pressure down on the strings until the notes ring out.

And KEEP AT IT - you'll get it!
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

You just gonna need that F chord more often. The Bb will come too, with practice. Keep trying is the most important part.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I am now trying one finger barre but very tricky not to mute high e.
Bb...
I agree with the others, keep at it with the bar chords... but maybe sometimes, dont try to mute the e. If you have decent dexterity next time you do that one finger Bb barre, slide that pinky up to the sixth fret on the high e sting. It's a Bb. This works for every chord up the neck with that A shape and its the best for an A chord where you can play that open A on the 5th string and your pinky on the 5th fret of the high e string, also A. Up the neck you need to mute the 5th & 6th strings. It will add something different to your musical vocabulary.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM

Default Thanks for replies...

Bb is not that uncommon.

Every song I practice in F and Dm keys have Bb and there are a lot of songs.
Maybe it's me that I like songs in those keys more.
A song goes like this...
FDmF
FGmCF
BbCF

What fret to capo really depends upon the progression as some chords may be easier while others may not plus everything sound sharper (higher).

I tried capo on 3rd and play G for Bb but it changes the sound a lot from open.
In youtube videos, a lot of players use A shape with barre on 1st so it's not impossible, just horribly tedious.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

OP--Have you tried barring the second third and fourth strings with your pinky?

The last joint of the pinky tends to be a bit smaller than on the ring finger, fits in there nicely.....although my teacher says I need to keep the pinky free for other strings!
Old 04-13-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
OP--Have you tried barring the second third and fourth strings with your pinky?

The last joint of the pinky tends to be a bit smaller than on the ring finger, fits in there nicely.....although my teacher says I need to keep the pinky free for other strings!
Yes but all in vain.
My pinky buckles when pressing those 3 strings.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Hi, Matty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I play a 3 fingered B shape index makes the barre ring hits the 4th string pinky hits the 2nd and 3rd strings.
I do same manner. My pinky hits the 2nd string by its nail and the 3rd string by its fleshy tip. Does your pinky hits both the 2nd and 3rd strings by its fleshy tip?
Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 PM

nope 3rd string string by tip 2nd string by lower part of tip. I also play a two fingered a using my index and middle finger.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 AM

I was just thinking ... there are only 4 strings on a banjo, or mandolin [ double strings but the same ] and nobody gets on those guys/gals for playing a three note or four note B flat ... so, why am I supposed to ruin my day by trying to play a six string B flat chord ?

third string .. third fret = B flat

B flat, C, D, E flat, F, G, A, B flat

Ah ha ... B flat chord = B flat, D, F

third fret B flat, on the G , or third string
third fret D on the B string or second string
And first fret F, on the E string or first string

Three strings .. more than enough ..

Watch me now .. watch me baby
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Last edited by jasperguitar; 04-16-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:51 AM

So I was jamming on the weekend and this new song came up all nice in C but at the end the last verse gets repeated a half step higher and I was confronted with a Db. What's the suggested work around for that, if I haven't mastered the a-shape barre?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Play the F shape at the 6th fret.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
So I was jamming on the weekend and this new song came up all nice in C but at the end the last verse gets repeated a half step higher and I was confronted with a Db. What's the suggested work around for that, if I haven't mastered the a-shape barre?
Well there’s a couple options, you can work on mastering the A shape barre chord as it’s an important one to have. Alternatively remember that you only needs 3 notes to “build” a chord. Sooooo you may be able to get away playing a partial barre..... as in use your index to barre bottom 3 strings at the 4th fret and then add your 2nd and 3rd finger to the b and g string at 6th fret and there’s your d flat! It’ll have a different sound than the barre version, but works better in some cases.... like twangy rockabilly for instance. Of course there are other versions as well, like an open version using the 1st finger on 1st fret g, 3rd finger on 4th fret d, pinky on 5th fret a.... really fun stretch on that one! But better for fingerpicking than strumming.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 04-16-2018, 02:37 PM

move the c up one fret ,, play a d flat 7
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM

From the live internet radio show I mix. Lead singer plays rhythm guitar. F minor, no capo. A manly man. :-)

http://studio-noho.net/Mcmains_Bros_Ride_My_Rocket.mp3

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write