The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Has anyone tried running the Bodyrez or Boss AD2 through effects loop of the Para DI?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 AM

I use the BodyRez in the loop of my Fire-eye Red-eye. I'm pleased with the sound.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Has anyone tried running the Bodyrez or Boss AD2 through effects loop of the Para DI?
I gave it a try in the loop of my PADI and didn't have particular opinion either way. I need to try it again and see if I like the effect pre or post-EQ. In theory, pre-EQ would make more sense but you never know.

I would be more interested to try it in the loop of my Tonebone PZ Pre which has higher headroom and a flatter response.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 AM

The AD2 is a preamp. I’d be wary of running a preamp into a preamp(Para)
I have tried the body Rez with a few different setups and didn’t like it.
Basically it adds compression and scoops out the mids. If your playing with any other instruments you’ll be buried in the mix. The mids are what cuts through and if you remove them it gets very muddy quickly.
I now have a Boss AD10 and really like it.
However I’m not a k&k fan so not sure about that
Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
The AD2 is a preamp. I’d be wary of running a preamp into a preamp(Para)
I have tried the body Rez with a few different setups and didn’t like it.
Basically it adds compression and scoops out the mids. If your playing with any other instruments you’ll be buried in the mix. The mids are what cuts through and if you remove them it gets very muddy quickly.
I now have a Boss AD10 and really like it.
However I’m not a k&k fan so not sure about that
This is true but I'm sure TC configured it this way as most piezo and magnetic pickups produce an exaggerated midrange in the 700-1.5khz range. That said, you are absolutely correct that midrange is what's most audible to the human ear and without it, you lose presence.

I find that I often want a precise midcut to remove any sqwuak-y or boxy mids but that it's a precarious balance. I definitely want to give the TC a shake try but its midcut is broad and fairly deep. But, I think it might benefit the K&K which is characteristically boxy.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 04-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

What is the benefit of running effects in loops (preamp or mixer) over just running them in the signal chain? The PARA has just a single loop jack so I'm assuming this must be done with a TRS cable that splits into two 1/4" jacks?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
What is the benefit of running effects in loops (preamp or mixer) over just running them in the signal chain? The PARA has just a single loop jack so I'm assuming this must be done with a TRS cable that splits into two 1/4" jacks?
A lot of ambient effects (Reverb, Delay, and sometimes even Chorus) seem to sound their best after the preamp, in the amp or preamp/DIs effects loop. It's not a hard rule but it is often the case. It also depends on the type of pickup you use. If you have a passive piezo with high-impedance, running it into a Boss Digi Delay (which probably has a low impedance input) may thin out your tone, so placing it after the preamp (in its loop) may be a better choice. If the pickup is active, it probably won't matter as it's already buffered and low impedance.

The Body Rez has a 1megohm input impedance so it'll work fine with almost any piezo or mag pickup. A passive piezo may benefit from the effect being placed on the raw signal and "cleaned up" before reaching the preamp and EQ. However, you may put it in the loops and say "actually, that seems to sound better." With this effect, I would say it's definitely a matter of experimentation.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 04-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I don’t know really. I just asked the question since my Para DI has an effects loop. Just trying to figure it’s intended purpose and was hoping someone on here knew it. I feel certain there is a reason and sound explanation for an effects loop. I am just not smart enough to know what it is.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification