The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2018, 08:11 PM

Good ideas..My Alto Trouper accepts a Blue Tooth signal, so I can use my tablet to send some mp3 songs to it while I walk around, maybe of my own recordings.

Hey on topic of an acoustic pedal board, I discovered the " Holey Board" by Chemistry Design Werks. Very cool under the radar company in Minneapolis. Aluminum and natural wood, an upper shelf, and a system of holes for zip ties instead of velcro....check out..
Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 PM

Take a good look at the Mackie Pro DX, either the four or eight version. This little unit which is controlled by phone or pad is amazing. It sits right on your mic stand with a small cheap adapter. It uses bluetooth. It has all the functions you would ever want for live gigs. Once you get the hang of it, its your best friend. Has great tone, easy to use, and handles any gig. From here there are hundreds of options like speakers and amps and mics and things. I use a Sennheiser vocal mic, a Play Acoustic pedal, and for speakers I switch between the LD Systems Dave 8 Roadie and two Shertler David Deluxe amps. With this simple set up you can play houses up to 200 with awesome sound, quick set up and all the effects, tone shaping, harmony etc you could ever need. I play out full time and use this system without fail. Its easy, user friendly and can be carted around without breaking the back or the bank.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 03-30-2018, 09:57 PM

Basically my live rig is an analogue mixer w' 4 xlr's into QSC Speakers.

At the simplest for a small room it's a Soundcraft Notepad 12fx into a single K8 on a compact speaker stand. I may or not use my pedalboard or simply the Radial PZ Deluxe.. or maybe guitar straight in.

Main gigging guitar is a Maton 808c Nashville. Sometimes a custom 000 w' K&K.

For larger setups I go 2 x K10's into a Soundcraft MFXi 8 a couple of compact led Pars for 'atmosphere' and my Pedalboard.

Board... Harmony Singer into Comp, Delay, Chorus to Ditto 2 into the PZ Deluxe.. compact TC Polytune on the tuner out of the Radial. I am contemplating a Tech21 Qstrip as a separate compact Pre/Di.

Sometimes, especially if in a duo or larger setup I will use one or a pair of the K8's as monitors either on forks beside the 10's or on the floor.... and now and then have 'borrowed' a K Sub for a bit of extra depth... might even invest sometime.

Haven't yet struck a setup this lot can't cope with but I aint 'touring' either.

For sound checking I just run one of a few tracks on an MP3 that will tell me in a few seconds if I'm pretty right. Vocal will be set slightly above the guitar w a 10 sec loop and walking out front a bit with the mic. Have not gone digital and most likely won't.. what ya know n all that. Always helpful if you have someone you trust out front that can 'semaphore' the odd adjustment too.

It always depends.

Kris
Old 03-30-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercn View Post
It is amazing to see how many words are needed to describe a solo gig set up! I started mine last night and did not finish.....putting it here piece by piece. But good to share these set ups ! Ok, even though we're talking small-ish venues, do you guys use a monitor? If so, place directly at feet, to the side.... It is nice that the Bose mentioned above can be directly behind somewhere to double as a monitor, an no feedback!

Other day I saw a pic of a lady's set up and she had an acoustic amp on a short stand right in front of her stool, facing her from about 45 degree left as a monitor!
If i can get away without a monitor i will.
For solo gigs i like to hear the pa. qsc can
be tilited in a bit and you can hear fine.
for bigger hardwalled loud crowd places i use
monitors. qsc k10 or yorkville nx10c.
My live rig is a couple of combos of gear i own.
Depending on the gig.
For quiet gigs i use the yorkvill and a sunrise
gear M6br8 on one support stand. i can run a line from my sunrise pup into their
sb2 preamp then to a channel
on the sunrise gear amp.Then a line out to the yorkville . this is a small venue listening crowd
it's lightweight and sounds otherworldly but not loud it can't do loud.
I have a 4 rack space
skb that has two speck asc eqs a alesis midiverb2
and a rack tuner. i play a sunrise pup into their sb2 pre
into the speck into a channel on a mackie board. insert ch gets the alesis.
this is for a band situation.
speakers for louder bigger gigs are ev sub and qsc k10s touchmix mixer.

Quote:
Sound checking. Next topic on solo gigs. To soundcheck before the show, do you have a friend stand out there while you play a few bars, and tweak from there? Or maybe get out there, face he speakers and play to check yourself..
My roadies quit me years ago..
i just turn the volume down and turn th speaker
toward me,do my tweaking , turn the speaker
back and turn the master back up to unity. Somebody will complain
if they can't hear it or if it's too loud..adjust accordingly. If you find
everyone is talking louder or shouting to each other Your probably too loud..
if you turn up they'll just talk louder ( bar gigs)
When i'm in the band i have a wireless unit and usually
take my ipad and mandolin out in the audience Ill tweak for the first song.
people seem to like it anyway and i can
do a pretty good sound guy check from the audience. and dial the mandolin in nice.

Last edited by varmonter; 03-31-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Wow I did take a look at that Makie Pro DX and super impressed. Really amazing how affordable for what is featured!!! That 2 input version probably takes care of a lot of the issues I've been writing about here. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:12 PM

Small, indoor farmer's market type gigs... 25-50 or so people, little to modest background noise, I'll put my guitar and vocals into Fishman Loudbox mini. Done.

Small bar solo gig... 50 or so people, moderate to high background noise, I'll put my guitar into a BBE acoustimax preamp and then into one channel of an Alto TS210 positioned as a floor monitor. I then run my microphone through a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic (v1) into the other channel. I take the mix out of that and run it to a second Alto TS210 on a pole. For bigger rooms or more people I'll run a third TS210 on a second pole...

Acoustic Duo... I run a Behringer XR12 digital mixer. I use the BBE Acoustimax for my guitar, my partner uses a Tonebone PZE Pre for her violin. I just picked up a Soundcraft mixer for gigs where I don't want to deal with digital. From the mixer, I run two Alto TS210 speakers as floor monitors, and two more on poles for the house. Works for us.

I'm currently in the process of revising my full band rig. Looking at a pair of EV ZLX-12p speakers on EV ELX 12" subs, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Was using PV 115Ds as tops and SA baby tremors as subs. All that's been sold now.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 03-31-2018, 09:56 PM

I have a modular system that can be sized up or down to match the venue. I even have portable off grid power for outdoor events where there's no grid power.

I use Allen and Heath mixers along with Yamaha DBR 12 and 10 speakers and a Behringer Eurolive 12" sub.

It seems as though I've been mostly using a Zed 10fx, a Yamaha DBR 12, pole mounted over a sub. I have the speakers behind me and so there's no monitor.
I run my guitar through a pedal board which has a Zoom A3>Chorus>Reverb>Compressor>Ditto 2x looper. For guitar, I usually bring 2, a D18 with a K&K and a Takamine LTD.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-01-2018, 03:12 AM

I try to keep my setup as simple as possible...

I'm mainly playing cafes/restaurants or folk clubs - when I need to provide my own sound I take an AER Compact 60 and an AKG D5 - my main guitar is a Martin OM28v with a Lr Baggs Anthem SL and I'll plug that straight into the AER, sometimes with a Boss Tuner and Strymon Blue Sky in the chain, but recently just straight in with a headstock tuner. I sometimes take a second guitar (Collings) that also has a Anthem SL for backup/different tunings.

For gigs where a PA is provided I take my AKG D5 and an Orchid Acoustic Preamp (made in my home town!)...

I find the less gear I have with me, the more I worry about engaging the audience and performing well rather than tweaking stuff - I set up the AER to sound good to me and then just level with it so I can hear it but it's not feeding back - occasionally I'll adjust the top end during a set if I feel the rooms less lively once the people are in but that's it...

With gigs where there's a soundperson and a PA I concentrate on getting the monitor sounding how I want it and don't concern myself with the FOH sound unless it's truly terrible (which is pretty rare in the folk club world as people are normally used to setting up acoustics and you're rarely particularly loud anyway.)
Old 04-01-2018, 06:23 AM

I like your minimal approach...keep it simple, sound good ! Appreciate your feedback. You mention " folk clubs" . That sounds nice and I can picture what it is. Around me there a now more cafes and bistro type places, which seem to be having a comeback ( a medium size Texas city), as is acoustic folk oriented music..thus this forum!. Back in " the day" , during 60s - 70s in New England there were coffee shops all over the place. Many with open mic going on all the time. No acoustic amps or multiple pedals, etc. We just Sat on a well used stool and played with maybe a small PA if they had one. Low lighting and people actually focused and listened to you....all that faded away until more recently. It's cool that even satellite radio has some channels devoted to " acoustified" music and feature new artist, I get set list ideas from it.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

This is our current live 'full' setup: Guitar (either the Emerald X20 custom woody or the Martin 000-18GE custom - both with K&K) > Xvive X2 wireless > Ernie Ball VP Jr. > Mooer Ocean Machine reverb/delay/looper > TC Electronics BodyRez > TC Helicon Harmony G-XT > LR Baggs PARA DI > Behringer Xenyx 1202FX > Bose S1 Pro. Wife (vocals) has a TCH mic (resting on top of mixer), I have a mic on a boom stand with a mobile phone holder. Note - in photo Mooer Ocean Machine is on a pedestal for tweaking purposes. Live it would be on the floor.

Our bare bones setup is just one guitar, a K&K beltclip pre-amp, the Xvive wireless, wife's mic, Bose S1 Pro. So just the guitar into the K&K pre-amp straight into channel two of Bose with Tonematch switch to guitar and wife's mic straight into Bose channel one with Tonematch switch set to mic. In this configuration I have everything in the guitar gig bag so I'm just carrying the guitar gig back and the little Bose. The ultimate in super easy carry and set up.

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-02-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I use a HD speaker stand (100 lb. capacity) with adjustable legs as a base for my mixer. Even a HD music stand can be knocked over as its not made to hold that much weight and the leg span is too narrow for real stability.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-02-2018, 05:06 PM

I like you putting a pic..It helps to visualize a set up. Your stand with the holes resembles my Holey Pedal board mentioned in an earlier post. I imagine with that speaker facing you and aimed at back of mic, you can rehearse without feedback, even in a living room...
Old 04-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercn View Post
I like you putting a pic..It helps to visualize a set up. Your stand with the holes resembles my Holey Pedal board mentioned in an earlier post. I imagine with that speaker facing you and aimed at back of mic, you can rehearse without feedback, even in a living room...
Yes, I just started using the music stand when we went over to a line array system and needed a mixer. I was pleasantly surprised with just how well it works. It is very stable. You could knock it over but it would take a pretty significant direct hit to do so.

No feedback from that system even when we stand right in front of it with the mics pointing back. It seems to have similar dynamics to the Bose line arrays. Throws a lot of sound very wide and seems relatively resistant to feedback from the mics.

The K&K guitars will feedback as the usual frequencies that require me to dial them out with the PARA.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 PM

Gonna shift topics here a bit. For those who have been using the Play Acoustic: ? About using another fx pedal in conjunction. I got the HOF 2 reverb pedal because I would rather have more separate control over my reverb, not to mention it's nice presets and the Mash button feature. Ok, does it matter much to signal chain it before, or after the PA? One issue with after is that the guitar line out of the PA is XLR.

Edit...is it just me. Anyone out there having the output level of your guitar to the amp cut noticeably when you engage the HOF 2 rverb pedal??! I don't think it should. Bought a mint condition slightly used one ...

Thanks

Last edited by silvercn; 04-05-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 PM

Default How to display a pic here

Hi . After a few weeks away from his thread...I have my acoustic pedal board like I want, and would like to share it...how do you add a pic to these posts ???

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
gig, signal chain, solo sound, sound