The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 10:00 AM

Default postive and negative thoughts about 1931 D28A none VTS

considering buying one and having read most superlative threads regarding this guitar I was wondering wether (ex) owners have additional info or experiences with it. It seems their prices in the used market haven't kept up with recent devellopments regarding other Authentics and sell for around $4000 in mint condition (ofcourse being less then 5 years old), which I consider to be a very reasonable price.

Any info is appreciated,

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 12-04-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:49 PM

Let's forget about the lighter strings, does anyone still own one?

Ludwig
Old 12-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I own more than a few guitars, and I think that my D-28A ‘31 (pre VTS) is the best sounding guitar I own. It has huge power and presence. I have mine strung with Martin Retros (the Jubers). I know some people have concerns about the neck. It’s a handful, to be certain, but much more manageable than you might expect. The neck is one of my favorite features of this guitar.

Last edited by StephenHD35; 12-04-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Still have mine. positives: True vintage Martin sound. Precision build equal to Collings. Beautiful woods and perfect setup.
Negatives: soft plastic brdgepins (now replaced with Waverlys from StewMac). Too nice to install a pickup and take to a gig.
My guilty pleasure that lives under the bed. I disagree about the used price being lower than that of other 28 style Authentics. They run about the same from what I have seen.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM

According to a certain website this is what it says about the original bridgepins:

BRIDGE & END PINS: Bone w/ Black Dots

But these things can change without notice. According to what I read the saddle and nut are fossilised ivory, are they? I wouldn't mind plastic pins, they can easly be changed but changing a glued in long saddle isn't exactly my forte.

I'm also a a firm believer that fat necks result in more sustain so that isn't much of a problem for me, in combination with the wider nut width it could pose a problem, but I've started out with none radiused spanish guitars and those necks posed no real problem for me when I was still young and poor, lol. Is that comparible at all, I mean the neck's playabillity?

Ludwig
Old 12-04-2017, 04:37 PM

Mine is first year of production though I bought it used, a year ago last July. I have heard others complain about the white bridge pins on the Authentics. I think the nut and saddle are f. ivory but they changed to bone that year so can't be sure. The neck is quite shallow with a mild v and lacks the Louisville slugger roundness of a classical. Quite comfortable for a wide neck.

Last edited by lt20dbl; 12-04-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Thx guys,

good info on a few things I wasn't aware of, I think I'll give this one a try, it's a first production year too. I'll keep you informed on how it sounds,

Ludwig
Old 12-04-2017, 08:25 PM

Most people I know with Authentic Dreads aren't going to, or willing to sell. They are that good.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:04 PM

That's music to my ears Steve because I just purchased a NOS version of this guitar, . So I'll hold you personally responsible if it isn't on par, hehehe.
And this is post 2800 too, that must be a good sign.

Ludwig
Old 12-04-2017, 09:08 PM

I'll take full responsibility. Congratulations on the new guitar.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Guest 1928

I've played a few and all were very fine sounding guitars. The necks are wide, but not overly thick. If you want a 12 fret Martin Dreadnaught, these are easy to like.

They're fairly scarce instruments, but that is true of most 12 fret Martins. Those who love them REALLY love them, but the crowd appeal is small. It was catalogued from 2013-2016.

The details....

Total production 181 Pre VTS and 27 VTS
2013-2014 Pre VTS and Thin Finish Package
2015-2016 VTS and Vintage Gloss Finish
Early 2013 production had fossil ivory nut and saddle, but was changed to bone later in the year.
They never had bone bridge pins. They shipped with solid plastic pins and slotted bridges, but pins were soft plastic. Entirely unsatisfactory IMO. I would immediately change to Antique Acoustic pins, as I did with my D-28A 1937. StewMac pins are nice too.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Thx for the info Todd, the guitar will be shipped tomorrow morning so it is what it is. According to the serialno. this guitar was build mid 2012, so it must be one of the first. All the pictures of saddle, pins and nut seem extremely white to me but it could be the used lighting.

Anyway, I'm extemely exited to have found this guitar in my country. Shop worn play wear at a considerable discount. The pictures only show some hardly visible swirls on the instrument, topgrain is fairly dense and the back isn't particularly exciting as compared to some other Madi I've seen but hey I didn't buy it for it's looks.

Don't think I can post pictures though, my computer and browser are outdated, but perhaps I can still upload one shrunk photo into the AGF gallery.

Ludwig
Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 AM

I've read all I could find regarding this guitar and there are a lot of websites in Google which suggest that it actually comes with white fossilised Ivory bridgepins and endpin with a black dot. Possibly these were only present on the earliest none VTS versions build during 2012, but were replaced with plastic later on.

Ludwig
Old 12-06-2017, 11:05 AM

You'll know when you change your strings. The pins will come out bent. No big deal anyway. I think I paid around $15 for waverly pins from stew mac.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Beerhofen View Post
I've read all I could find regarding this guitar and there are a lot of websites in Google which suggest that it actually comes with white fossilised Ivory bridgepins and endpin with a black dot. Possibly these were only present on the earliest none VTS versions build during 2012, but were replaced with plastic later on.
The internet is full of stuff that's not true. You may have read it, but it did not happen. Martin never shipped this model with fossil ivory bridge or end pins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion