The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
I have one as well and it is very well made.

I'd agree with the above . Yamaha won Acoustic Magazine Guitar of the Year 2017
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 12-09-2017, 02:51 PM

I have several Chinese built guitar and I also have a couple American built guitars.
I have each of these guitars because of their tone, feel and looks.

My most recent Chinese guitar is a Washburn HG27SE.
I wanted to try a guitar that is a bit smaller than my Dreds.
This one is a Grand Auditorium size.

I can't believe how lush, full and loud this guitar is.
It's also a looker.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I'll never understand the love of Eastmans on this forum. Every one I have played was dead and lifeless.
Dead and lifeless? Perhaps you meant to say Gibson? (Though I'm sure that some Gibsons are pretty good, the ones that I've played -less than a dozen- were dull, dead, and lifeless, as though they were waaay heavily over-built.)

My E10-00M is brilliant, incredibly lively, and very responsive. It's also impeccably finished with a thin, beautiful, high-gloss lacquer.

Last edited by DHart; 12-10-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Quite frankly I'm far less impressed with their flattop line and, given what Martin/Taylor/Gibson/Guild are capable of producing in the under-$2K (street) price range, I'd sooner have one of those - IMO Eastman is at least five years away from being able to compete effectively, on a heads-up basis, with the major American makers...
The problem with this argument is that Eastman doesn't actually compete in the "under $2,000 market" against Martin, Gibson, Taylor, and Guild.

Eastman, for the most part, produces models that are under $1,000.

Until very recently, the top-of-the-line Eastman flat-tops could be bought brand new with hard shell case for around $1,000 and there are simply no comparable Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Guild models at that price point.

For example, a new Martin D-18 will cost you around $1,900 while the Eastman E10D will cost you right around a grand.

Note: The new Eastman E40D with a load of bling is priced higher, but that is the exception.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 12-10-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
When questions like this comes up, it reminds me how people felt about Japanese cars compared to N. American ones. Even when it was plain that the Japanese cars were superior to N. American ones, there were diehards who wouldn't admit it. There still are some that won't admit it. It is the same with guitars from China. South Korea, etc.
Almost no one is saying that "it is plain" that Asian built guitars are "superior to N. American ones" but rather, some people say that the best Asian built guitars are as good as the U.S. built models.

There is no comparison with the nadir of the U.S. auto industry. The U.S. guitar industry is making great guitars.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-10-2017 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 12-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Almost no one is saying that "it is plain" that Asian built guitars are "superior to N. American ones" but rather, some people say that the best Asian built guitars are as good as the U.S. built models.

There is no comparison with the nadir of the U.S. auto industry. The U.S. guitar industry is making great guitars.
Absolutely you are right. Bad comparison. As long as the U.S. acoustic guitar makers don't lose sight of what makes them who they are and where they came from, they will still be great and the standard by which everything in acoustic guitars is measured.
I am also keenly aware there are great guitars being built all over the world and those who build them deserve to be recognized, not belittled or treated as if they don't measure up. That's blatantly unfair IMHO.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-10-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post

I wasn't making a direct comparison. I was comparing attitudes that were and still are in the auto industry to foreign mfrs. with attitudes toward foreign mfrs. of guitars. As I said, it is often nationalism that is at the core of those attitudes, not realism.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-10-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair View Post
I'm not sure - I could be very wrong here - but I don't think China has a deep Guitar history. I googled players & WOW they have players. Not a lot of history though, I think. So, "made in China" is manufacturing expertise. It begs the "soul" question. Eastman comes to mind.

Thoughts?
My Yamaha classical was made in Taiwan ROC, so I guess that counts. Not the highest end they made but a solid student model I wish I'd had during college when I was taking classical for my music minor (finger picked on my steel string dread at the time- the prof said I should borrow one of theirs but I was more comfortable with the one I owned and managed fine).

But isn't Soule in South Korea? Another SE Asian country that produces some pretty decent instruments.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone-Idle View Post
I played my brother's 2015 made in China Guild F-130 the other day. It's an OM type, constructed of solid sitka and solid mahogany and I was very, very impressed. Its tone, playability and build-quality are superb.

It cost him just shy of £600, and there aren't too many all solid wood guitars available at that price.

I'd be proud to own one - it's a lovely instrument.
Hi

I bought a Guild Westerly M-140 in 2016, and also gave been absolutely delighted with it.

Great value for money for a solid top and solid b/s guitar, and the spec of short scale 00 sized with 1 3/4" nut and 2 1/4" bridge spacing was exactly what I wanted.

It is what it is, ie, a budget made in China model from one of the premier US guitar manufacturers.

It would be ridiculous to try and compare it to a Martin/ Taylor - Completely different market / prospective buyer.

Rich
Old 12-10-2017, 10:29 AM

IMHO. what has made American guitars so good is the combination of Crafters and materials.
If and when Chinese builders combines these elements together their instruments will compare well to American built instruments.

For now, I still see corners cut on many Chinese guitars.
Some like Eastman are doing a good job at using a lot of American technology and it shows in their instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion