The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Traveling on Southwest with my guitar was a breeze...

Hear a lot of things about air travel with a guitar, so I thought I'd post my latest experience. I flew Southwest from Oklahoma City to San Diego and back with a transfer stop in Las Vegas both ways.

I paid the small extra fee to make sure I was among the first folks boarding the flights...ensuring there would still be room in the overhead bins. No problems at all. Plenty of room in the bins, no hassle getting through TSA and the ticket agents and flight attendants were mucho guitar friendly. Basically, the guitar never left my sight except when it was in the bin above me. I was traveling with my Taylor 214 in a SGB hard-shell case.

Dunno about the other airlines, but kudos to Southwest for making a guitar player's trip a breeze.

Here's a link to the DOT's latest Q&A about what you can expect when flying with a guitar and what rights you have:

http://www.transportation.gov/sites/...ts_FAQ_2_0.pdf

Last edited by Rev Roy; 07-01-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:04 PM

Was that a hard shell case? Full size guitar?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybcool View Post
Was that a hard shell case? Full size guitar?

Thanks.
Yep. Taylor 214 in hard shell SKB case.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:47 PM

Did you get dirty looks from the folks with the overstuffed carry on luggage that barely fits in the overhead bins and doesn't fit under the seat?
Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 PM

That's one of the really unique things about Southwest ... if you're among those in Tier A boarding group, you're assured of getting ample overhead space.

But, they may actually be overlooking their own rules a bit by allowing a full size guitar and case in the overhead because their web site says that carry on pieces cannot be any bigger than 10 x 16 x 24 inches.

A full size guitar case is going to be more like 45 inches in length, essentially stretching out to occupy the overhead space of two regular carry-on pieces and whereas it's shallower than 10 inches, most guitarists aren't going to want anyone piling a bag on top of their guitar.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Glad your experience was a good one. I've traveled Southwest many times with guitars… always in a hardshell case. And they've been just as kind as they can be. I never had a problem. Boarding early really helps.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Did you get dirty looks from the folks with the overstuffed carry on luggage that barely fits in the overhead bins and doesn't fit under the seat?
Yes, did you feel the dismay of those that expected to have the use of their fair share of the overhead space that was hogged by your guitar?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbsBruce View Post
Yes, did you feel the dismay of those that expected to have the use of their fair share of the overhead space that was hogged by your guitar?
I see this as being a problem also. Overhead carry-on space is always an issue. I think I would be a bit upset if the bin above, that normally holds 3 rollaboard bags, was taken up by one guitar and I ended up having to gate check my bag.

I bought a Voyage Air and another small travel guitar for this reason.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:49 PM

I've never had or heard of issues on Southwest from either their staff or other passengers. Southwest is the most guitar-friendly airline in the US - enabled by their fleet of large jets with big overhead bins, plus a musician-friendly company attitude. Two years ago, they even had a co-promotion with Taylor guitars (https://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/p...taylor-gs-mini). Can't find a URL to it, but they also did a special "Southwest Airlines edition" GS mini give-away. If you can't take a guitar (or cello even) onto Southwest, you're either unlucky or seriously annoyed their staff. (or just boarded late enough to see all overhead bins filled - though their staff are known to sometimes offer closet space in that situation if asked).

It's the other airlines, especially via regional jets (that won't take larger than FAA mandated 9x14x24 carry-on luggage) that are a greater challenge for acoustic guitar-bearing travelers.

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 07-01-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 PM

The last time I flew SW I checked my guitar.

Southwest hand carried the instrument to and from the aircraft so it wouldn't be subjected to the baggage handling system.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-01-2015, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Always good to hear about a "guitar-friendly" experience with ANY business... glad to hear that the trip was easy on your guitar!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I've never had or heard of issues on Southwest from either their staff or other passengers. Southwest is the most guitar-friendly airline in the US - enabled by their fleet of large jets with big overhead bins, plus a musician-friendly company attitude. Two years ago, they even had a co-promotion with Taylor guitars (https://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/p...taylor-gs-mini). Can't find a URL to it, but they also did a special "Southwest Airlines edition" GS mini give-away. If you can't take a guitar (or cello even) onto Southwest, you're either unlucky or seriously annoyed their staff. (or just boarded late enough to see all overhead bins filled - though their staff are known to sometimes offer closet space in that situation if asked).

It's the other airlines, especially via regional jets (that won't take larger than FAA mandated 9x14x24 carry-on luggage) that are a greater challenge for acoustic guitar-bearing travelers.
Southwest is way cool about guitars, which is why I fly SW whenever possible -- they're also the original fun fliers ... back in the 80s and 90s and even recently sometimes, their gig was jokes, sing-alongs and general good humor ... they also used to have these unique facing seats so you could mingle with other passengers or friends -- cocktail hour on Southwest was a blast.

Meanwhile, back to the Taylor Southwest GS Mini videos ... and there were the "Live at 35" series (as in 35K feet I think) and here are two:
There were many of the Live at 35 flight concerts, with many other players and guitars.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbie View Post
Glad your experience was a good one. I've traveled Southwest many times with guitars… always in a hardshell case. And they've been just as kind as they can be. I never had a problem. Boarding early really helps.
My experience also. Unfortunately I have to drive 3 hours to catch a Southwest plane so I take my Voyage Air when I fly from Hilton Head (I have to Tarmac check it from here to Charlotte, never had a problem with damage but I do let them know it's a guitar, not a regular backpack) or from Savannah (overhead bin or under the seat).
Old 07-02-2015, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Most of my guitar travel with guitars experience has been on American, or domestic airlines in Brazil, and it's always gone well. I haven't noticed anyone being upset at finding a guitar case in an overhead bin. What I usually get, are questions about if I'm a musician on the way to or from a gig, what band do I play in, or simply a friendly smile. I think most people like guitarists and musicians in general. (Well maybe not some ex-spouses. )

I'm much more concerned about someone trying to jam something in on top of the guitar case, and that's what I watch for until the bin is closed for flight.

Boarding early and appreciatively is the key. These days, it seems that the majority of air travelers realize that overhead bin space is limited, and boarding late means there may be a problem stowing carryon luggage overhead.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
That's one of the really unique things about Southwest ... if you're among those in Tier A boarding group, you're assured of getting ample overhead space.

But, they may actually be overlooking their own rules a bit by allowing a full size guitar and case in the overhead because their web site says that carry on pieces cannot be any bigger than 10 x 16 x 24 inches.

A full size guitar case is going to be more like 45 inches in length, essentially stretching out to occupy the overhead space of two regular carry-on pieces and whereas it's shallower than 10 inches, most guitarists aren't going to want anyone piling a bag on top of their guitar.
There are special rules allowing musical instruments, if there is bin room at the time.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion