The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-01-2020, 02:35 AM

Default Filling dents

Hi hepcats. I bought a knackered old 60’s harmony dread for £20 to learn some luthier skills. There are two areas of impact damage where there are depressed cracks but not holes. I have some pieces of veneer to glue inside to stabilise but the visible dints will need filling. Wood filler doesn’t sound right and I have heard that mixing sawdust with epoxy is a good filler. Any ideas would be helpful. I have no idea how to post pictures so you’ll have to guess 😄
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer
Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 AM

If the wood isn't cracked, but just dented, you may have success with heat + water (steam). Carefully use a wet cloth and an iron/soldering iron (depending on the precision you want). Careful, small steps (you don't want to get too much moisture into the wood).

Is the finish cracked at all? I assume so - you can drop fill, usually with CA, or if it's nitro then you'll need to take it to someone who can do nitro.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:34 AM

The majority of luthiers would not use a filler except as a last resort. They would leave the dents as battle scars of honor...
Old 05-01-2020, 07:53 AM

Default A thought --- opinion

Steaming out dents would be early on my list of fixes. And filler would never be on my list. For steaming to work, there needs to be a break in the surface, so moisture can get in to be heated and turn to steam.

Like any other cosmetic procedure, patience, a soft touch, and the Hippocratic Oath (first, do no harm) need to be consciously practiced. A little experience wouldn't hurt, either.

Worst to worst, seal finish cracks and accept the signs of maturity.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:48 AM

If the fibres of the wood are broken or cut, steaming won't help very much. If the fibres are compressed, steaming works well.

I agree that some form of wood filler wouldn't be something I'd consider. Filling can work well for gaps, but not dents: it will look worse than the dent.

For a dent that won't steam out, CA glue is a common fix to fill the dent and level the finish. Note that some CA glues can yellow light-coloured spruce. One remedy to prevent the yellowing is to seal first with shellac.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:29 AM

The wood is cracked but not punctured if that makes sense? So the consensus seems to be stabilise and touch up cosmetically.
1966 Gibson LG1
1985 dobro resonator
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Partscaster Tele.
Cigar box
Dulcimer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair