The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-02-2020, 06:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Verlon Thompson

Perhaps this has been discussed here before but if you have Amazon Prime, make a point to watch Sweet Dreams Do Come True, a documentary about the country songwriter Verlon Thompson. This was another case (I've had a few lately!) of being late to the parade about an incredible talent. He was best friends with Guy Clark and is carrying on Guy's tradition with tribute concerts but the list of performers who have recorded his songs is amazing. And best of all, he is an absolutely genuine, modest nice guy, and loved by all who know him.

An oh my god, what a guitar picker!!!!! Interesting that he played a couple of Bourgeois dreads in most of the movie (and they sound great) plus a couple Gibsons. I didn't spot one Martin, which I found surprising considering his country/bluegrass/blues style.

Anyway, check out this movie, I guarantee you'll be amazed.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:09 AM

As a fan and friend of Verlon's I'm glad you enjoyed the documentary! But don't stop there! You can also stream Verlon's "Barnegie Hall" series on Amazon where he hosts, interviews, discusses songwriting and performs with many of the top Nashville songwriters in the cozy atmosphere of his barn/studio which he refers to as Barnegie Hall. It's a marvelous show, especially for anyone interested in songwriting and great guitar picking!!

BTW- Verlon's main performance guitar is a Bourgeois dread that was gifted to him by Guy Clark many years ago, but his personal guitar inventory includes an impressive variety of instruments including Martins.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-02-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for those tips. I’ve admired his playing and writing for years.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 02-02-2020, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
As a fan and friend of Verlon's I'm glad you enjoyed the documentary! But don't stop there! You can also stream Verlon's "Barnegie Hall" series on Amazon where he hosts, interviews, discusses songwriting and performs with many of the top Nashville songwriters in the cozy atmosphere of his barn/studio which he refers to as Barnegie Hall. It's a marvelous show, especially for anyone interested in songwriting and great guitar picking!!

BTW- Verlon's main performance guitar is a Bourgeois dread that was gifted to him by Guy Clark many years ago, but his personal guitar inventory includes an impressive variety of instruments including Martins.
I will definitely check out his series on Amazon. Would love to hear him live some day but I live on Cape Cod in MA and judging by his tour schedule on his site it doesn't look like he comes to the Northeast very often, if ever. I am envious that you are his friend, he seemed like such a genuine and modest guy in the documentary. How refreshing in this age of huge egos in the music business! I had the pleasure of hanging around in Dana's booth at last year's NAMM show in Anaheim and playing a bunch of his guitars. He too was a modest, unassuming and friendly guy. When I hit Mega Millions, a couple of those will be my first purchases!

But I suspect in Verlon's hands most any guitar would sound amazing.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Love Verlon!!!
Old 02-02-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I will definitely check out his series on Amazon. Would love to hear him live some day but I live on Cape Cod in MA and judging by his tour schedule on his site it doesn't look like he comes to the Northeast very often, if ever. I am envious that you are his friend, he seemed like such a genuine and modest guy in the documentary. How refreshing in this age of huge egos in the music business! I had the pleasure of hanging around in Dana's booth at last year's NAMM show in Anaheim and playing a bunch of his guitars. He too was a modest, unassuming and friendly guy. When I hit Mega Millions, a couple of those will be my first purchases!

But I suspect in Verlon's hands most any guitar would sound amazing.
If you're looking for a chance to see Verlon perform somewhere in the Northeast, you might consider attending Hickory Fest. It's an annual, 3-day, outdoor festival held each August in Wellsboro, PA which is in northeastern Pennsylvania. Verlon plays the festival every year. The venue is in a beautiful mountain setting, and all proceeds from the festival go to a fund that provides music scholarships for promising young musicians.

As for Dana Bourgeois' guitars, I am the proud owner of a Bourgeois AT Mahogany D. I hope you hit the lottery so you can add a couple of his guitars to your collection!
They are amazing!!!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

That's a me too in admiring Verl;on and his style and his long friendship and support of the late and very great Guy Clark!

Here's the tow of them together :

This is Verlon's breathtaking version of the same song :

and last and very much the least - is my humble version :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic