The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
This is a deceptively simple sounding repair. Ou - just stick it back on with some glue... It's really not "simple" if you want a sound repair which comes out looking good. .
I just had another ca failure one cross my bench yesterday that another repairer had done less than 6 months ago, this is not to cast dispersions on them and I will not name them, this is simply to point out how hard it is to get it right.

I may post a photo on monday.

So whats wrong with it,

Apart from large sections still of loose binding,
There is glue on the soundboard, sides back, even on the neck,
There are marks left from the tape which have eaten into the nitro finish whilst being used to hold the binding in place whilst it drys,
There are sections of colour missing from the body where they have attempted to remove the glue
There is a section of binding which has been broken from said gluing attempt
There are sections on the back where the nitro is damaged from what appears to have been dropped glue and quickly wiped up
There is voids between the binding and the wood where clearly no finish has been re-applied

Its now going to cost them in excess of 600 dollars to fix it and really its that bad I dont want to do the job but I will solely as I am the warranty agent locally for Martin guitars.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-08-2020, 08:29 PM

Point well taken. Unskilled workers using inappropriate glue will wreak havoc. Seen it myself, and revisited the so-called repair you describe too many times to count.
That is exactly why I used the term 'specific kind of CA'........ it is one which does no damage to nitrocellulose lacquer. It is not available at your local discount store.
The job is relatively simple when you have the proper materials and technique. Did one today on my old friends D-35, and he was sent on his way in less than 15 minutes.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Did one today on my old friends D-35, and he was sent on his way in less than 15 minutes.
Yes well,

My typical time to do said jobs is broken down like this

Approx 20 minutes for me to mask and tape up the body to protect it from glue and damage, low tack tape and vinyl strip.

Takes me anywhere from 20minutes to a couple of hrs to clean and prep the binding and body

Stretching/heating/gluing anywhere from 15 minutes to an hr depnedant on how many loose areas etc

After 24hrs, takes around a total of say an hrs worth of lacquer drip filling the void between the binding and wood, typically done over a week or two

Then it sits and drys for two weeks

Then it gets wet sanded and the guitar buffed easily another 1hr

So 15 minutes total, thats way way way different to my time schedules

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair