The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-25-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've PM'ed you the serial number of my V-DR which LA Guitar sales received on November 26th from RainSong. You SN should be higher if it is factory fresh.
Mine was 27 higher than his serial number...So that all lines up to my understanding that is was "factory fresh"...So it looks like they had a fairly busy December...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a dozen new RainSongs and haven't seen anything to the level of imperfection that I see on yours. Some of the finish imperfections may rub out with rubbing compound but if you're not happy, I'd take it back for a refund or a replacement.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've owned a dozen new RainSongs and haven't seen anything to the level of imperfection that I see on yours. Some of the finish imperfections may rub out with rubbing compound but if you're not happy, I'd take it back for a refund or a replacement.
The light superficial imperfections are essentially a non-issue given the fill/patch job on the back...no rubbing that out, so that is the lowest common denominator in this situation. I agree, I suspect a lot of the superficial scratching I mentioned would likely come out.

The various nicks and divots that are running around the edge of the sides where they meet the top, however, would be harder to deal with. I would have to count them but there are many nicks and imperfections in this area where you can tell they just went with black paint or something and touch them up. Again, these issues are not even worth talking about given the larger problem on the back, but it would certainly be my hope that any replacement unit not have such problems.

I wonder if any of you guys might find similar nicks/divots in that area that are painted over if you looked closely and/or ran your hand around the side edge where it meets the top...This I would be curious about...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-25-2019, 07:28 PM
Guest 928

My Rainsong nylon strung parlor guitar has a very small thin spot on the face--thin enough that a finger can feel the give. Michael gave me a heck of a deal for the guitar and thin spot has not been a problem since it is under my clear pick guard. And the guitar is marvelous.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I wonder if any of you guys might find similar nicks/divots in that area that are painted over if you looked closely and/or ran your hand around the side edge where it meets the top...This I would be curious about...Cheers
The top edges on all three of my RainSongs are perfectly smooth to the touch (even my CH-PA beater that fell off a chair onto concrete).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-26-2019, 02:48 PM

Thanks for all your help and thoughts guys.

I have sent a final email to RainSong telling them my final position on things, and CCed my salesman (and the manager) at Long and Mcquade.

Until now I had not made it perfectly clear that this guitar is going back. It is for sure. I will be looking for assurances from RainSong directly that we will not have a repeat performance if I accept a replacement, wait 6-8 weeks, etc...As long as they give me those assurances that some sort of extra care and attention to detail will be applied then I will give them the opportunity to replace it with a rebuild. If not, we're done here...

If a rebuild happens and it is still not up to snuff then I will refuse delivery of that one too, and that will be that...That's kinda where things are at...

I so hope this works out, because I REALLY love the feel of the guitar, and I really want the flexibility of a carbon fibre in my arsenal...Just not at any cost when spending that sort of money...I just hope you guys are right, and that this sort of thing is not par for the course in the carbon world...Worse case I will have a good sum of cash to direct to a high quality conventional wood guitar of some sort...Hopin' it doesn't come to this...

Like most on here, I suspect we all have certain basic expectations of quality when making such purchases at these sorts of price points...carbon or no carbon...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 12-26-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:11 PM

Dbone... I'm late to the party here, but I have some experience with a Rainsong CH-OM that I bought from Musicians Friend that had what I considered to be cosmetic issues (although not like that filled patch on yours).

One thing I can tell you is that, while they will work with you to resolve it, Rainsong won't ship you a new guitar. They only work through their dealers, so I had to work with Rainsong and the people at Musicians Friend in order to make the exchange happen.

Here's the thread (the resolution is in post #60): https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=515896
Old 12-26-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
Dbone... I'm late to the party here, but I have some experience with a Rainsong CH-OM that I bought from Musicians Friend that had what I considered to be cosmetic issues (although not like that filled patch on yours).

One thing I can tell you is that, while they will work with you to resolve it, Rainsong won't ship you a new guitar. They only work through their dealers, so I had to work with Rainsong and the people at Musicians Friend in order to make the exchange happen.

Here's the thread (the resolution is in post #60): https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=515896
Oh yeah, I meant through my dealer...I know they don’t deal with customers directly in terms of sale and shipping...All good...I’m just conversing directly with them in terms of making it completely clear what my expectations are...

Their reaction will help me decide the direction I go on this in the end.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-26-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your post...I read through your thread...Most interesting...With any luck I will have a similar outcome...

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Bit of an update...

I spoke with RainSong directly today and they are assuring me that, if given the opportunity to replace the guitar, I will be happy with what they ship out. I just wanted some assurances that there would be some due diligence applied to the situation with respect to the replacement, and I'm being told that there will be...So I guess we will move ahead with a replacement. Once Long and Macquade works things out with them I guess things will start to move. I'm being told that it should be quicker than the previous order because they are in a "production cycle" now.

A QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS:

A co-worker of mine, who is a bit of a carbon fibre aficionado more generally, commented that he thought it was odd that the carbon fibre on the left and right sides of the back was not better lined up. He suggests that it should be more mirrored....You can see how out of alignment it is in the pictures I sent...I mentioned it to RainSong when talking to them and they basically suggested to me that they do not necessarily guarantee such alignment.

Is the alignment on some of your guitars out this bad?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-02-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Bit of an update...

I don't remember many being lined up perfect
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Bit of an update...

I spoke with RainSong directly today and they are assuring me that, if given the opportunity to replace the guitar, I will be happy with what they ship out. I just wanted some assurances that there would be some due diligence applied to the situation with respect to the replacement, and I'm being told that there will be...So I guess we will move ahead with a replacement. Once Long and Macquade works things out with them I guess things will start to move. I'm being told that it should be quicker than the previous order because they are in a "production cycle" now.

A QUESTION FOR YOU GUYS:

A co-worker of mine, who is a bit of a carbon fibre aficionado more generally, commented that he thought it was odd that the carbon fibre on the left and right sides of the back was not better lined up. He suggests that it should be more mirrored....You can see how out of alignment it is in the pictures I sent...I mentioned it to RainSong when talking to them and they basically suggested to me that they do not necessarily guarantee such alignment.

Dave at Rainsong is a gem, and a man of his word.

As far as the alignment goes, mine is almost perfect from the butt right up to the last 3 by the neck, which start to go progressively a little more out of alignment.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 01-02-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-02-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Dave at Rainsong is a gem, and a man of his word.

As far as the alignment goes, mine is almost perfect from the butt right up to the last 3 by the neck, which start to go progressively a little more out of alignment.

Okay, fair enough...Thanks for the responses guys...Funny enough, the “out of alignment” aspect looks really noticeable in the close up pics showing the fill job problem, but in person tonight just looking at it normally the alignment issues aren’t all that noticeable....in practical terms...

Dave. That is who I was chatting with. He definitely seems like a good head.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 PM

I've got two RainSongs with clear finishes. The CH-PA is not aligned and the CO-PA is also not aligned. You guys realize when they make these things they can't see that alignment as the left and right pieces of cloth need to be overlapped and the final later to be visible seam is hidden inside a mold. It is top quality work that they are able to do what you see with very few loose fibers. Take a look at a McPherson or CA or most of the seams on an Emerald. They are underneath black paint.

CF is about many things, but looking for perfection in the weave of the final product is going to be a disappointment and you would be better buying a wood guitar where none of the grain lines up exactly (and that is your expectation).

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-02-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've got two RainSongs with clear finishes. The CH-PA is not aligned and the CO-PA is also not aligned. You guys realize when they make these things they can't see that alignment as the left and right pieces of cloth need to be overlapped and the final later to be visible seam is hidden inside a mold. It is top quality work that they are able to do what you see with very few loose fibers. Take a look at a McPherson or CA or most of the seams on an Emerald. They are underneath black paint.

CF is about many things, but looking for perfection in the weave of the final product is going to be a disappointment and you would be better buying a wood guitar where none of the grain lines up exactly (and that is your expectation).

Again, it was something that someone pointed out to me...It was hardly a “problem” relative to real issues with the guitar. My co-worker is used to looking at really high quality carbon fiber bits going on expensive sports cars...I guess expectations around CF guitars are a little different ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber