The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-24-2019, 06:36 PM

You know, i want to make clear that if not for such an odd neck I absolutely loved my Shorty. I'm not knocking RainSong and know everything will work out for the OP.

Great company and if you like the first impressions of everything right with that guitar than stick with the brand. This is just a case of "what happened ?", a question even RainSong will likely scratch their heads over. Probably will never happen again.
Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Can't speak to your specific questions, but from the photos you posted, there are some pretty ugly artifacts around the rosette as well. You are quite justified in being upset.

I'm sure you'll be well looked after. QA for small manufacturing companies must be a real challenge, and every so often, one will slip the net.
Just to be clear, the only aspect that is horribly noticeable in a really bad way is the filled patch on the back. The rest is really over amplified by the picture and the lighting. After you mentioned the rosette I went and looked at it, and you don’t really see anything under normal conditions.

I’m not upset, just disappointed. If they don’t make it right, then I will be upset. ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-24-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
You know, i want to make clear that if not for such an odd neck I absolutely loved my Shorty. I'm not knocking RainSong and know everything will work out for the OP.

Great company and if you like the first impressions of everything right with that guitar than stick with the brand. This is just a case of "what happened ?", a question even RainSong will likely scratch their heads over. Probably will never happen again.
Definitely the case...love the overall vibe...It’s very comfortable size wise too...I find it more comfortable than even my smaller bodied Aria oddly enough...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-24-2019, 07:08 PM

Here’s a question:

Does it make sense that the top corners of the label inside are not adhered? Just strikes me a bit odd...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-24-2019, 08:13 PM

It looks like some mechanical abuse after it was manufactured. Since it is a catalog model, in-stock at several US retailers, there should be no issue returning it for a replacement.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-25-2019, 05:34 AM

Rainsong customer service will take care of you, too bad it happened when they are on break. I have had 2 Rainsongs, Shorty and WS and both were fantastic and I was able to sell as mint even after extensive travel for the Shorty.
Keep us informed.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:48 AM

It’s encouraging to hear all the talk in here about how good their customer service is.

I like the theory that the unit took a hit shortly after manufacture, and then someone tried to reasonably patch it.

I have definitely made the final decision that I will not let this stand one way or the other. My clear expectation at this point is to have them take this one back and manufacture me another.

More importantly, I don’t suspect Long and Mcquade would let it stand regardless of what they might say....That’s the vibe I get in talking to the manager. I’m sure it will be fine.

Not the best buying experience I’ve had, but as long as it’s made right in the end all will be forgiven. In this day and age this is all one can ask for...to have problems be handled properly...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 12-26-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:42 AM

This is not a deal breaker, and it would not necessarily prevent me from buying the product, but I thought the inside would have been a little cleaner looking than it is. You see lots of glue all over the place etc...

Again, this could simply be an expectations problem on my part. I know nothing about what is normal for these types of products.

Do you guys see similar inside yours? I'm just curious...

Thanks
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
This is not a deal breaker, and it would not necessarily prevent me from buying the product, but I thought the inside would have been a little cleaner looking than it is. You see lots of glue all over the place etc...

Again, this could simply be an expectations problem on my part. I know nothing about what is normal for these types of products.

Do you guys see similar inside yours? I'm just curious...

Thanks
When the guitar back and sides part is cured the vacuum bag squeezes epoxy out from the CF fabric into the wrinkles of the bag. The outside of the guitar is up against a mold. This is normal. The top is flat and the bag can be laid out such that wrinkles (for the most part) don't form during curing.

I am certain the defects to your guitar happened after it left RainSong. My beater CH-PA has fallen to a concrete floor off a chair and landed on its top edge at the end pin. I was able to compound it and touch it up with a black sharpie. It looked similar (maybe not as bad) to what you photographed before I touched it up.

If it was my guitar, I would send it back for a refund and order a new one from someone else. LA Guitar sales is fully capable of shipping to Canada. Ted will inspect your guitar before shipment.

Here are the insides of my latest V-DR1100N2.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-25-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Guest 928

It sounds as if your dealer will take care of the problem and I think you will get the replacement you want.

The problem here is timing. With Rainsong out for Christmas you have too much time for angst and stress. But the responses here should be reassuring. You are working with a credible dealer and a credible maker--they will take care of you.

Tis the season for some eggnog.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
It sounds as if your dealer will take care of the problem and I think you will get the replacement you want.

The problem here is timing. With Rainsong out for Christmas you have too much time for angst and stress. But the responses here should be reassuring. You are working with a credible dealer and a credible maker--they will take care of you.

Tis the season for some eggnog.
L&M are a pretty solid outfit...I'm not too concerned...It's very obvious that to anyone that it's not acceptable I think...

It's all good, there is no angst and stress here at this point my friend...Once I make a decision about what's gonna happen, that is what is gonna happen...lol...

It will all get sorted...

I will simply drown away any remaining sorrows with a few extra glasses of wine at the family meal today ;-0

Nice ;-0
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the pics! Okay, normal then...lol

Yeah, this definitely happened before it left Rainsong...This was built to order right from the factory, and I was the first to open the box.

The fill/patch is under the finish of the guitar...

Unless the border guards did some guitar finish work, not sure the source could be anyone other than RainSong...sorry to say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
When the guitar back and sides part is cured the vacuum bag squeezes epoxy out from the CF fabric into the wrinkles of the bag. The outside of the guitar is up against a mold. This is normal. The top is flat and the bag can be laid out such that wrinkles (for the most part) don't form during curing.

I am certain the defects to your guitar happened after it left RainSong. My beater CH-PA has fallen to a concrete floor off a chair and landed on its top edge at the end pin. I was able to compound it and touch it up with a black sharpie. It looked similar (maybe not as bad) to what you photographed before I touched it up.

If it was my guitar, I would send it back for a refund and order a new one from someone else. LA Guitar sales is fully capable of shipping to Canada. Ted will inspect your guitar before shipment.

Here are the insides of my latest V-DR1100N2.

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Here we go...a pic of the better side ;-0 Not the best pic...

2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 12-25-2019, 10:52 AM

I've PM'ed you the serial number of my V-DR which LA Guitar sales received on November 26th from RainSong. You SN should be higher if it is factory fresh.

Jon Fields
Old 12-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've PM'ed you the serial number of my V-DR which LA Guitar sales received on November 26th from RainSong. You SN should be higher if it is factory fresh.
Oh, okay, well I'll check that out...Thanks...
2019 PRS Silver Sky

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber