The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2019, 12:27 AM

Default K&K Pure Mini and HX stomp

I had posted here about a good preamp pedal. I had some really great responses. However, a friend suggested that the Line-6 HX Stomp would work and be better.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...loor-processor

We have used it at our church with great results going right into the system for electric guitars.

I’m a bit skeptical, but does anybody have experience with these and acoustics? Will it work as a preamp and then provide some effects? Would also be sweet to also use it for my Strat.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:14 AM

The HX Stomp is a great all in one pedal but you will need to spend time dialing it in. Don't bother with the presets, time is far better spent creating your own patches.

First off, read the relevant parts of the manual!

Check your input impedance and choose a setting that works for your KK and strat. This is a global setting so you might have to compromise but it's no big deal. Also make sure if you're going direct to pa you have the correct output setting.

My acoustic patch is: Gain block (this acts as my preamp to raise gain without colouring the sound) >IR (only use a small amount of IR mix) > Parametric eq (this is where you will need to spend most of your time) > Plate reverb (again a very small amount)....and that's it! Other effects can be added to taste.

You'll be tweaking things to taste for a couple of weeks but just make a few patches for comparison as you go along. Once setup, it's plug and play.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:57 AM

There are many members here who use the HX Stomp for their acoustic work. Just search this thread and you will find lots of information.
I agree - make your own presets and skip the ones provided, except the acoustic ones may give you a starting point.
I use LA Compressor - Modulation (Chorus or flanger) - Delay and reverb. I put the modulation and delay on the foot switches and leave the tuner on the third foot switch.
I also have made patches for other guitars and some special effects like tremolo and octave effects.
It is a ton of fun to play with and once you get used to the process for setting up patches it is fairly easy.
good luck with your efforts,
davidc
Old 12-14-2019, 06:59 AM

I neglected to mention that all my acoustics, including a T5, have K&K pickups.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:01 AM

What put the HX Stomp over the top for me was custom Cuki79 IRs for my HFN equipped guitars combined with the Stomp parametric EQ. I think this IR solution is competitive with Tonedexter in my usage. Otherwise I am using plate reverb and the LA Compressor for leads. The tuner is also quite good and once you master the multiple entry point UI, the Stomp is adjustable in performance (a step up from the Zoom UI but still not simple).

For my Strat, I use Tube Screamer to Fender Spring Reverb to Deluxe Reverb amp/speaker model to my QSC CP8 (set to monitor EQ and sitting on the floor). A simple SRV-like set up. This works well for me.

Prior to the HX Stomp I was using a Zoom G1 four (this was before the A1 was introduced) for compressed lead boost, EQ (a bit of treble cut for the HFN), and reverb. The A1 canned IRs are likely for USTs not SBTs.

The reason I started looking at the HX Stomp was the 30 second looper in the G1 four was not adequate for home practice. I play in a duo and we don't use looping to perform.

I am currently working on a project to create an open source IR generation system. I have the education to understand what to do, but not any recent programming skills.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-14-2019, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I use the HX Effects and struggled to choose between that and the Stomp, but I preferred the layout of the HX Effects.

Of course, as mentioned, the Stomp has the added benefit of built in preamps, including, I believe, the Stereo Tube Pre which would be excellent for acoustic guitars. The IR ability is amazing. You can run it on its own path with its own eq and effects and run your pickup tone on its own. Really brilliant.

You can also buy acoustic patches online.

Can't go wrong, honestly.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-14-2019, 11:28 AM

Thanks for all of this! Can you give some advice for how to get started with acoustic IRs?
Old 12-14-2019, 11:37 AM

I have the stomp as well. I bought acoustic Ir's from 3sigma. I use one
For a martin d45. Soundhole pup.
But the patch is basically the same
As mentioned above. I use comp
And chorus verb and delay.
I think its comp,ir ,verb,delay ,chorus , eq
Your limited to 6 in a patch..i just bought a Morningstar mc6 to go along with it.
Have to go get some cables for it. Its all fun.

Last edited by varmonter; 12-15-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
Thanks for all of this! Can you give some advice for how to get started with acoustic IRs?
If you are using a UST (or magnetic pickup...though IRs have not generally worked well with magnetic pickups), there are some to be bought. I bought the 3 Sigma D45 package, but for a SBT (my HFN) I found it not helpful. They might work well with a Matrix or Element UST.

Cuki79 has a system to make them.

Some people own Tonedexters and extract an IR they like from Tonedexter and move it to an IR pedal (such as the Stomp IR block). Capturing an IR is reasonably complicated and not a turn-key project.

I hope to write an open source IR generator (similar to the training function of Tonedexter) you could run on your PC or Mac. But I have no schedule, no track record for this type of work, and the software required to run this program might be as expensive as buying a Tonedexter when the dust settles.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-14-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
I’m a bit skeptical, but does anybody have experience with these and acoustics? Will it work as a preamp and then provide some effects? Would also be sweet to also use it for my Strat.
The Studio Tube preamp block sounds fantastic with acoustic guitars. The LA compressor at the end really can give it a studio quality. The effects sound great. I think it's a great match, though I only use my Stomp for electric.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:31 AM

There's a preset called jazz rivet that
Sounds good with acoustic as well.
Models the old roland jazz amps with the rivets around the outside.
I found it quite useable. Needs some tweaking from
The stock settings...the stomps capabilities are limited only
To your imagination...no I dont work for line6...
Old 12-15-2019, 02:25 PM

[emoji23] love that response!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification