The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Thanks for the detailed review! Congrats! Im a big blackbird fan.
Thx Thaichine!

Me too!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
That does look very nice. But I understand what you (or was it Joe?) meant about that headstock. That looks very complicated, and frankly I wouldn't mind at all if Joe simplified the design with a more traditional solid design.
Hi Steve....

My initial impressions of the headstock were not that great before I even ordered it. However since I now have it is really kind of grown on me because it is pretty unique in its construction. I thought I remembered Joe saying something about it being a little too difficult to deal with so we'll see what happens in the future.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Last edited by TheChicagoTodd; 11-20-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM

Thanks for a great insightful post. That is the most woody non-wood guitar I've ever seen. Looks very nice and exotic, and the headstock doesn't bother me ( but Seagull headstocks do). And you are right about those inlays, they are gorgeous! Classy bling and very reminiscent of some Gibson acoustics.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 PM

Congrats on the new guitar and thank you for the detailed review.

IMHO the El Capitan is the most attractive non wood guitar on the market.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thanks for a great insightful post. That is the most woody non-wood guitar I've ever seen. Looks very nice and exotic, and the headstock doesn't bother me ( but Seagull headstocks do). And you are right about those inlays, they are gorgeous! Classy bling and very reminiscent of some Gibson acoustics.
Thx Steel vibe!

This does sound like a wood guitar, its certainly unique and IMHO sounds fantastic!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 11-20-2016, 10:55 PM

I think the new material has a lot going for it, and if they ever come out with a small guitar in that material like a OO or even OOO in short scale I will be one of the first customers!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I think the new material has a lot going for it, and if they ever come out with a small guitar in that material like a OO or even OOO in short scale I will be one of the first customers!
JerryM....

Well see what Joe and his team have planned...something is brewing over there...not sure what.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Thx Steel vibe!

This does sound like a wood guitar, its certainly unique and IMHO sounds fantastic!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 11-21-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
JerryM....

Well see what Joe and his team have planned...something is brewing over there...not sure what.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Thanks Todd, I have been following El Capitan since it was first announced. I am also a huge fan of Blackbird and love my L13. I emailed them about a year ago asking if there were any plans for an OM in eKoa, they replied that they didn't have any plans for a Super OM in eKoa, so I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question.

I think, from what I can tell, that the L13 is probably their most successful development so far; its a very popular guitar. I can't imagine they would want to bring out an eKoa guitar that would rival it, and so, that's why I guessed that an OM size would be good. A lot of traditionalists would consider an eKoa OM but would not consider the carbon fibre Super OM that they currently offer.

Anyway, I will continue to be waiting patiently for the next eKoa release!
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 AM

Congratulations on the new(ish) guitar!

That video link you posted is missing a question mark, so here's the video itself.

I've had Rainsong guitars for years, and like the crystalline tone more than a woody tone. I can see trying a Blackbird eKoa instrument in the future though, especially after they add a cutaway, which I use quite a bit.

I actually like that headstock quite a bit. It looks like neck dive would never be a worry with this kind of construction.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:23 AM

Was adding a corrected YouTube link--but Explorer just did it . . .
Old 11-21-2016, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Thanks Todd, I have been following El Capitan since it was first announced. I am also a huge fan of Blackbird and love my L13. I emailed them about a year ago asking if there were any plans for an OM in eKoa, they replied that they didn't have any plans for a Super OM in eKoa, so I guess I wasn't specific enough in my question.

I think, from what I can tell, that the L13 is probably their most successful development so far; its a very popular guitar. I can't imagine they would want to bring out an eKoa guitar that would rival it, and so, that's why I guessed that an OM size would be good. A lot of traditionalists would consider an eKoa OM but would not consider the carbon fibre Super OM that they currently offer.

Anyway, I will continue to be waiting patiently for the next eKoa release!
Sir Whale...thx! This is really my only acoustic now, other than my travel guitar, and I'm obviously infatuated... ;-).

Todd in Chicago

Old 11-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Congratulations on the new(ish) guitar!

That video link you posted is missing a question mark, so here's the video itself.

I've had Rainsong guitars for years, and like the crystalline tone more than a woody tone. I can see trying a Blackbird eKoa instrument in the future though, especially after they add a cutaway, which I use quite a bit.

I actually like that headstock quite a bit. It looks like neck dive would never be a worry with this kind of construction.
Thx sir, I've corrected the original.

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 AM

Hi Todd,

It seems the saddle (at least at the high e) is about as low as it will go. Is Joe at Blackbird confident that it will never shift in the future since a neck reset is out of the question?

I had a similar concern about my RainSong H-DR1100N2 and they told me it will not change over time. Here are my pics after installing a Mi-Si Trio, which I am very happy with after playing several gigs in noisy and quiet rooms.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-21-2016, 12:06 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I think that's a great looking guitar. I really like the top and the headstock is unique. No neck heel! Sounds good from what I could hear. Would love to play one of these someday... Nah, I would love to HAVE one of these. Thank you for the great review.

JR
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I think that's a great looking guitar. I really like the top and the headstock is unique. No neck heel! Sounds good from what I could hear. Would love to play one of these someday... Nah, I would love to HAVE one of these. Thank you for the great review.

JR
Thx JR! Joe and his team do a great job!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber