The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Your back is light tight. She is resting in the guitar room flat on her back. Green tape saved yer butt. I had to put a long wide thin wedge under the tape to get her off there. You have some glue clean up to do. It will clean up fine. Note; inside wall down next time.
By the way folks the Table saw was on a porch outside. Not in the rain
But, it was not the situation for Table saw 101 on 2 1/2 - 3" of material to cut through lol
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Hehe - yeah I used waaaay too much glue. If you think I'm messy you should see my kids eating habits!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Here's a pic of the joined back. We decided not to use the clamps and just let the nails hold the boards together along with anything that carried enough weight to keep it from popping out. .

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 01-10-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Neil! You're on your way to building a guitar! Hot dang, dude!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Neil! You're on your way to building a guitar! Hot dang, dude!!!
Gotta push for a Jam 2011
Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks, YJ!

Kurt, I freely admit that I'm dragging my feet on this one because my confidence has to build too. John's been a big help and has taken over whenever I get lost.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Kurt, I freely admit that I'm dragging my feet on this one because my confidence has to build too. John's been a big help and has taken over whenever I get lost.
Lost?!?! LOST?!?!?!!! My man, you have a fire extinguisher, an anvil, and what appears to be the head of an adze holding down your guitar back. You ain't lost! You're building a guitar!!!

Keep pluggin' away and, gracious, please don't be afraid to make mistakes. How else do we learn? With John's tools and experience from the first build (and now the second) to go on, you're in a good place. Keep moving, especially in those times when you feel stuck and lacking confidence. It'd be way too easy to stop and not get started again, I'm thinkin'. What an opportunity you have; what a chance to do something for you. You are deserving.

(All that said by the guy who will continue paying Tim to build his guitars...and maybe you someday, Neil...ya never know...)
Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 PM

Hehe - as YJ says, "something is afoot" with this one!

Don't get ahead of yourself with this becoming a vocation for me though.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:02 AM

I won't, Neil, as long as you promise not to dismiss it as a possibility, however faint that may seem just now. Ya never know.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I won't, Neil, as long as you promise not to dismiss it as a possibility, however faint that may seem just now. Ya never know.
OK, but I have to admit that I much prefer to play guitars then poring over every detail. This is kind of like an active form of GAS as well as a means of providing focus and an outlet for a feeling of having no control over things - if that makes any sense.

BTW but man-o-man, do I love the smell of cedar! Last night I planed the edges and did the light test and did much better this time: I was rewarded with a wonderful smell and a perfectly tight joint after only 6 passes on the table planer. I also used a little less glue when joining the two book matched halves of the soundboard. THe only hang up was when I clamped it down; I put a dink in the soft cedar. Oh well - it's close to the center and that's where the fretboard extension can go.

Meanwhile, we had some issues with the band saw and I only got one of my 4 mold sections cut out. I suppose it was partly user error because I haven't used a band saw before and I found myself fighting the thing around the curves. Still, I have one done, another halfway through and the other 2 ready to go.

We've got some rosewood scrap set aside for the bandsaw - actually it's a finished back for a D-28 that never got built. It has some nice tight grain which should still show up after we cut it into 1/4" ribbons! YJ also had some ready-made BWB purfling for when I get around to doing the "skunk stripe" on my back.

I have pictures - and I saw YJ snap a few too of the finished mold section and the top in the jig - though we just used the anvil this time!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:34 PM

YJ, you got me thinking about the holiday break. If I'm gonna get this done in a year then there may be times when I bring back some "homework" so I cleaned off my workbench. I'm not completely organized yet but I can see the top of my bench again.

Here's how clean it was a couple of years ago. Yeah I know it's a close-up but it's basically about 20' long and is slightly above my waist. Do you think that's big enough to do stuff like shave braces and do the binding?

Old 08-26-2010, 04:45 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Sounds like its bigger than my shop! Get cleanin' boy! I have to rig you up with a "Scary Sharp" set up for chisels.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks, YJ. This morning I was thinking about a case for this one. It's bigger than a dread but slightly smaller than a Taylor GS. I also want to get some gold Gotoh 510s too.

I guess I know what I'm asking my wife for XMas!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Last night was partly productive. 3 of the 4 molds are now cut but I keep getting hung up when cutting the waist so it pulled the blade off the track 3 times and YJ had to step in and manually work the mechanism so that I could back the mold out. The second time around he sliced his thumb pretty bad on the metal housing (not the blade thank God) and blood was spilled. He looked a bit peeved about it and I feel terrible. Sorry about your finger and your band saw, YJ.

On the bright side I now have three of four finished molds so after a little sanding we could conceivably have a working semi-mold. YJ tells me that ideally I should have an upper and lower mold since my guitar's sides will be a little over 4.5" deep.

Another setback was that my top split after we'd joined it last week. YJ managed to fix it though so we'l see if it'll survive me running the thickness sander. After blowing up the band saw I moved on to that step and it was slow going - and naturally I marred the top by lifting up on the board before the board had cleared the drum. There's a nice burr there but it should sand out eventually. I got the board down to .169 from its starting thickness of .199 but the sandpaper started gumming up so I had to quit. I need to get another roll of 80 grit so that I can get it to at least .125.

In the meantime I still need to dream up a rosette and next time I need to get there earlier so that I can run some rosewood scrap through the table saw so that I have some binding to work with.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 AM

I just uploaded some pics from last week:

Top being joined (the first time):

The molds being cut (in progress):

Close up of the cutout to be used as a form for the bending process:

Top being joined the second time (this time the right way?):
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair