The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2010, 05:24 AM

Default Acoustic Player Interested In Trying Electric

I have been playing for about 3 years, all acoustic. I would like to try an electric guitar to mostly experiment with the different sounds, bends, slides, etc. I went to a guitar center to try them out, but couldn't stand the noise for more than 10 minutes, I left disappointed. However, I did notice that the string spacing on the Strat electric was much tighter than my acoustics (all 1 3/4" nuts). Are there any recommendations that anyone could make, is the size of the nut something I would get used to. I don't want to invest a lot of money in fear that I won't like it, but I also don't want to buy junk (been that route with my first acoustic).
Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 AM

As my tech pointed out, an acoustic is not an electric and vice versa, any more than a guitar is a bass and vice versa. You can and do get used to the differences. Look at how many musicians do. Yes, the string spacing on an electric is ever so closer than on an acoustic. I'm not one for distortion (yet), but I like slides and bends and the things you can do with electric strings that you can't really do with acoustic effectively. I play my electric clean, no distortion. It just has a very different sound than the acoustic. Not to mention being able to use headphones to play privately.

I got my butt handed to me for saying this elsewhere (wasn't even a guitar forum, and it's only my opinion), but I think some songs sound better on acoustic, some sound better on electric. I can't imagine Come Together properly on an acoustic any more than I can imagine Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay or Ain't No Sunshine on an electric.

Keep trying different brands and models, and fidoodle with the settings until you find one you like.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
As my tech pointed out, an acoustic is not an electric and vice versa, any more than a guitar is a bass and vice versa. You can and do get used to the differences. Look at how many musicians do. Yes, the string spacing on an electric is ever so closer than on an acoustic. I'm not one for distortion (yet), but I like slides and bends and the things you can do with electric strings that you can't really do with acoustic effectively. I play my electric clean, no distortion. It just has a very different sound than the acoustic. Not to mention being able to use headphones to play privately.

I got my butt handed to me for saying this elsewhere (wasn't even a guitar forum, and it's only my opinion), but I think some songs sound better on acoustic, some sound better on electric. I can't imagine Come Together properly on an acoustic any more than I can imagine Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay or Ain't No Sunshine on an electric.

Keep trying different brands and models, and fidoodle with the settings until you find one you like.
You too! I remember once on a Star Trek BBS I was ripped royally. But some guys say they are exactly the same. One teacher on my other guitar board says his acoustic action is set to play like the electric and he does nothing different as both are guitars. As for me, I play nylon, steel and electric with a different touch and mindset on each.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM

A couple of thoughts.....as already said, while both guitars, electric and acoustic are different.......feel, tone, action, etc. What I would recommend is this; if you have a local, mom/pop/independant music store, stop in and let them know you're situation. While the selection of instruments might be less than GC, you should at least be able to try a few electrics in relative peace and quiet. Remember that the majority of guitars you try are not going to be set up properly. Budget in a good set up and it will make a huge difference in the way the guitar plays/feels/sounds.

Once you decide if electric is for you, narrow it down to a couple of instruments that speak to you. If you can swing a good deal with the local shop, great. If not, let craigslist or the classified section here and a few other places be your friend. There are some tremendous deals out there right now.

I play acoustic and electric pretty much equally and could not imagine not having one without the other. Good luck to you!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM

Here is another guy who recently went electric. Check out some of the advice he got.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...1;t=030261;p=1
Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Thanks all for the comments, most of your comments agree with why I want to try an electric and you have confirmed my original thoughts.

Now, what should I be looking for in regards to equipment. I do not perform live, just like to noodle and play in small settings with friends, so I don't need a large amp. I was thinking of a small Roland Cube 15X, or one of the micro-cubes. I also went to a small shop and played a few guitars, MIM Strat, a Squire, and a Fernandes (all low end stuff). I kind of liked the feel of the Fernandes best, but I wasn't plugged in (the place was very busy and I didn't want to disturb anyone) so I am not sure of the sound. Anyone familar with the Frenandes? If I go on Craigslist, I need to know what to look for. Any suggestions for starter equipment?
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM

You can get a package deal for about... well, since we can't talk prices you don't have to spend a lot for a good deal... geetar, amp, gig bag, strap, cable, tuner and probably some worthless things like a string-winder. But hey, it's free.

I got a Jackson JS30DKT w/ a Marshall MG10CD 10w amp and all the above mentioned doo-dads as my first and to-date only electric. The amp can more than hold it's own for bedroom playing. I daresay it would be loud enough for a small garage band too. For an outdoors party or backyard bbq? Mm... no.

The ax itself retails for what the whole package was. My bass is an SX package from Rondo Music, highly recommended by the low-enders at Talkbass.com, with a 15w bass amp (DON'T run a bass through a guitar amp! ). When starting out, I think a package is the way to go. Then you trade up later on.

Go to a GC and lose yourself in there for a few hours, trying anything and everything. If it's anything like the one in my area, they will not bother you. In fact it might be irritating if they don't approach you at all. But if you want help, just look in their direction and you have their ear.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:20 PM

I think you could do better used than a bottom of the line pkg.

I have a MicroCube (which I love) but would probably opt for a MobileCube for a few bucks more (which they didn't have back when I got my MicroCube.) as a minimum. Lots of great options for small, inexpensive electric amps. Hear a lot of good about the newer Fender Champ line (XT or something like that)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification