The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-08-2020, 04:09 PM

Default New category possible for crossover?

Hi,

I hope one of the moderators sees this. I am wondering if a new category can be created for "Crossover Nylon String" guitars. Even though they are nylon string guitars, they really are not meant to be thought of, nor are they, classical guitars. They are really a different animal altogether. Any possibility of this happening?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Nothing personal, but if it ever came up as a vote, I would be against such a split.
I think nylon players share a deeper bond than just the type of guitar they play, and it encompasses all kinds of music. And not all crossovers are narrower necked guitars!
I never really thought of this section as “classical” per se, and never encountered an incidence where non-classical discussions were discouraged. On the contrary, it’s pretty flexible in terms of definition, as it should be.
Non-classical and classical players are better off with exposure to each other, sharing the same space, than being divided this way.
Just my .02c
If people feel strongly in favor of a split, I would still recommend keeping it together, with possibly a name change, like “The Nylon Corner”, to make it more inclusive sounding, even though I still don’t think it’s necessary. (The UMGF found a clever way to handle it, by calling theirs “Classical Gas”, ).
In summary, I see much more benefits for everyone in maintaining one nylon dedicated space.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-08-2020, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

At this moment, 276 are viewing General Acoustic and 7 are viewing classical.

Also, 1 viewing archtop, 2 viewing carbon fiber and 0 viewing Harp Guitars seems to demonstrate that special categories aren't really used much.

Based on the above, I'd guess the answer will be "no." Though I'm not a Mod anymore.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:57 AM

I’m with Andref on this; in terms of “engineering“ and technique crossovers have more in common with with classical than steel strung guitars. And as M19 points out there probably wouldn’t be enough traffic so people would end up posting the same query in both sub fora.

A niche too far I think.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Larry, I think M19 above covered things well. The decision to add or delete a subforum is strictly up to our owner. Personally, I believe a category only for crossover nylon-string guitars would be too restrictive. The traffic would be very light.

The description of this section on the main index page reads, "Discussions related to classical and nylon-string guitars." So, that certainly does NOT limit the section to only classicals. We're always glad to hear suggestions, but my guess is that the owner will probably want to leave this section as is. Thank you...
Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 AM

Default Retract

OK. Guess I am wrong about this. I retract my suggestion. Thanks for the comments.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:26 AM

I like having crossovers in the same discussion as classical's.

Plus, the Delcamp folks look at crossovers with disdain.

For my left hand, I just didn't like the narrower width at the nut on the crossovers that I have owned. The combination of larger diameter nylon strings and a narrower width made it feel cramped on the fret board to me.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical