The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Because it holds great memories, I’d do what Wade suggests.

Decrease the tension on the strings and hang it on the wall in a prominent place.

Then when your brother comes to visit, you can reminisce, and sit down with your newer, higher quality guitars and jam.
This is a nice sentiment. I thought about just taking the money I would have spent on repairs and buying him an Orangewood. They seem to be nice, budget guitars. Just so he has something to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
That was in the late 70's. I still have it and considering having it looked at. I know it's probably not worth anything but like the OP it has some sentimental value. And I have had it longer than my wife of 38 years.
My dad is a banjo player, he has a beautiful Deering Golden Era banjo that he's had as long as I can remember. I remember him sitting in a chair next to the bed and me sitting on the bed trying to play chords along with him on this guitar when I was like 7 years old. He was career military so he was gone a lot, so that time playing instruments together are some of my fondest memories.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:17 PM

If you’re planning on playing it at all, though, that bridge bears replacement, because if that crack lets go entirely the top will fail.

I have a friend who retopped a Conn dread bc he’d had one as a kid, and it turned out to be surprisingly ok afterwards.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Decrease the tension on the strings and hang it on the wall in a prominent place.
How far should I tune it down?
Old 01-31-2020, 01:05 AM

Max, this won’t be a precision operation; just slacken the strings to where they’re loose and not yanking upwards on the bridge. Or take them off entirely: if you’re not going to play the guitar (and it really will be safest if you don’t,) it doesn’t matter.

whm
Old 01-31-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Max, this won’t be a precision operation; just slacken the strings to where they’re loose and not yanking upwards on the bridge. Or take them off entirely: if you’re not going to play the guitar (and it really will be safest if you don’t,) it doesn’t matter.

whm
Thanks.
I was going to go through the trouble of getting it fixed, but for what it would cost, I could just buy my brother a better guitar. As mentioned earlier Orangewood makes good budget guitars also Fender and Washburn make solid tops for under $200(used).
Old 01-31-2020, 03:16 AM

That’s the wisest course. Just keep an eye on the guitars for sale on Craigslist, and find one with a solid wood top. If you can increase your budget just a smidgen, wait until you can find a used Seagull, preferably with a cedar top. Used Seagulls and Simon & Patricks are the best bang for the buck when it comes to nabbing a good-sounding guitar for very little money, and the cedar-topped ones have the sweetest, richest tone, in my opinion.

Seagulls and Simon & Patricks are made by the same parent company, Godin. Aside from some minor differences like headstock shape and, on some models, neck profiles, they’re structurally identical.

So keep an eye out for one of those. Sometimes they sell as low as $250, but it’s easy to find them for $300-$350. It’s worth it to spend that much for one because they really can be lifetime guitars when strung with fresh strings and dialed in so they play their best.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-31-2020, 11:01 AM

If I did not have the tools to do it myself I would buy a bridge online for about $10, remove the old one with a close iron. Clean the glue off the top, wedge stuff underneath the bridge area, stick two bridge pins into the holes (the top of them shaved down under the height of the bridge), glue and place weight on the bridge to clamp. About as diy as you can get doing it with little input. If it goes wrong, stick it on the wall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion