The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 09:17 PM

Default J-45 Standard no longer in production in 2020?

Gibson has updated their website with 2020 models and I'm seeing some interesting changes.
https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Colle...nal%20Acoustic

As with the electrics their acoustics are now split been Original and Modern collections. In the "Original" collection lineup they are offering a 50s and 60s take on the J-45. These aren't $4000+ limited run models but models priced in the range of Gibson's normal production lineup, the 60s model even
a few hundred less expensive than the 1950s J-45. I'm not seeing anything special about these and the spec say "tradition scalloped" for the bracing. The late 50s and 60s J-45's were non-scalloped "short braced", which gave our favorite short-scale slopes from that era a distinct sound to the modern ones and banner era models. I'm sure Gibson knows this so I wonder why they don't build a historically accurate recreation on the inside and out.

The 60s model looks like the same 60's reissue Gibson Montana produced early 2010s until around 2014 during the Juszkiewicz era.

The 50's model J-45 bears the price tag of the 2019 J-45 Standard. I'm wondering if this is the new 2020 Standard? Perhaps some member attending NAMM can confirm.

During this video Gibson's Mark Agnesi talks about the return of the J-50 and mentions other acoustic models not listed on their site.

EDIT: The Slash edition J-45 (love that Vermilion burst finish option) appears to have the same specs as the Standard with a few tweaks like the thicker neck profile. Also noticed the return of the Country & Western as the "Sheryl Crow Country & Western Supreme". This is a thought, and not confirmed in any way, but given the absence of a non-artist endorsed J-45 Standard in the Modern lineup, I wonder if Gibson plans to do this moving forward... Each year make so the J-45 Standard for that year is an artist endorsed take on the J-45 to always keep it fresh and then for those wanting a traditional version they continue to produce the banner era models in the Historic Custom collection and keep the 50s and 60s inspired J-45 models unchanged and available. That would be an interesting approach. What do you think?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on the new lineup.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 01-16-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Really liking the Custom Shop Historic Collection 1942 Banner J-45 and Banner Southern Jumbo! And the SJ will have a 1.77" nut width on a fat C neck while the J-45 gets the 1.725" and V neck (presumably full thickness).

I also like how they have the rectangular bridge and the belly down bridges with cut through long saddles. Nice!!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-17-2020, 12:14 AM

It looks like the ‘50s J-45 Original takes the place of the former Standard, with antique treatment to the binding and cream button tuners - I didn’t read deep enough to learn what exact model of tuning machines are being employed, but at a similar price to the past ‘Standard’, this reads to be an upgrade - but also, Gibson is diversifying the J-45 between general eras including historically informed reproductions - vintage reissues, in other words - the latter aspect is nothing new in essence, the splitting of the Standard into ‘50s and ‘60s versions is.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:09 AM

Just so long as they don’t come out with a late 60’s/early 70’s double X-braced square shoulder model J-45....I mean, those were the J-45’s of that era, but they really DON’T need to be revived.

whm
Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 AM

Nice, range. Surprised to see the standard j-45 disappear. Nice to see non-customshop vintage models and much more affordable prices.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Nice, range. Surprised to see the standard j-45 disappear. Nice to see non-customshop vintage models and much more affordable prices.
I'm not entirely sure it's gone and even if it is technically the Slash J-45 is called the "Slash J-45 Standard" at least in some of their material, so maybe the modern Standard this year is the Slash edition.

Why would Gibson discontinue (their best selling acoustic) the J-45 Standard for 2020? Maybe a marketing strategy. With the J-45 Standard only available in the Slash edition for 2020 (a $700 premium for the Slash edition, no less) it forces J-45 customers to really look at all the J-45 incarnations available and not look to just one model in the lineup to be the Standard. I think this would be a smart move on Gibson's part. As implied in top post, I could see Gibson doing a new artist edition J-45 each year as the only J-45 Standard model for that year. If this is going to be their approach, it makes sense why they picked Slash, I'd expect next years artist edition (all hypothetical/speculative) to be another more contemporary artist associated with the Gibson brand. Or who knows, maybe they hop around and the J-45 Standard (without artist affiliation) returns some years and instead historic collection models like the 50's or 60's J-45 get released exclusively as a special artist edition for that year.

If this is where they are headed, it's innovative on the marketing front. Overall really like what James Curleigh is doing with Gibson. Also I think what he's doing with Epiphone is really cool. I think all but the AJ45ME got discontinued from 2019 Masterbuilt lineup. Inspired By Texan got upgrades and became an affordable Masterbuilt guitar in addition to the USA built Texan. The reissue of the Frontier and the Excellente all seem to be aimed at reminding people history of the brand and that there's more to Epiphone than entry level product and authorized Gibson copies. I think James is envisioning Epiphone as a first class brand, the USA Texan is testing the waters for what is hoped to be a small lineup of USA built acoustics and hopes to eventually have some big name artist playing those models and endorsing them.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Collection/masterbilt

I think these are bold moves, I think they could work and we could be seeing the beginnings of the rebirth of this once great brand (Gibson and Epiphone).

Back to the J-45 Standard- Gibson Montana created the "Standard" moniker in the J-45 Standard name and it wasn't until several years after the factory opened in the early 90s before the J-45 Standard was born. Don't have my copy of Gruhn's guide handy, but I believe it was 98-01 time frame. Even C.F. Martin has recently changed their Standard series models up a bit quite a bit. I consider the current (2019 J-45 Standard) the Ren Ferguson era J-45 because it hasn't really changed since he redesigned it (brought back scalloped bracing, Grover tuners, TUSQ saddle, etc...) and christened it J-45 Standard. If discontinued it will likely continue to be sought after on the second-hand market for decades to come, as all great retired models do.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 01-17-2020 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:00 AM

The standard hummingbird has gone too, replaced by the Hummingbird "Original". Nice looking guitar. I might well have bought one instead of the customshop version if I were shopping now.

I think a lot of people are into vintage looking acoustics at the moment, so I think it's a good move to produce a full range of vintage-looking guitars. The J-185 is back too which is cool (was customshop vintage only before), as is the LG-2.

I really don't see The Slash J-45 as a J-45 Standard as it's got a thick neck, a 16" radius, a slash logo, and a high price tag.

I guess the 50s J-45 Original is the new standard. It's basically the same guitar except for vintage tuners and pickguard.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-17-2020 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:50 AM
Guest 33123

I like the new lineup. Feels like they are mostly heading in the right direction again. Too bad I'm not in the market anymore.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 01-17-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Different neck specs on the 50’s J45. Round profile instead of slim taper and slightly smaller nut. The j45 standard is listed still near the bottom of the page as well under the J series.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPJ12 View Post
The j45 standard is listed still near the bottom of the page as well under the J series.
I don’t see it, do you have a link?
Old 01-17-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblues View Post
I don’t see it, do you have a link?
Nevermind, I found it.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:39 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Looks like it’s listed as “out of stock”...that’s not the same as discontinued, right?
https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACC7JP...ntage-Sunburst

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Last edited by Rev Roy; 01-17-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 PM

I think they might still be tweaking their website with all the new arrangements. The J45 Standard is back now, but was missing from the site yesterday.

BluesKing777.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Just so long as they don’t come out with a late 60’s/early 70’s double X-braced square shoulder model J-45....I mean, those were the J-45’s of that era, but they really DON’T need to be revived.

whm
How about the "Bridge Height Adjustment" series? Relive all those memories as well
Old 02-24-2020, 09:39 AM

I wonder how the new banner 42 reissue sounds and what bracing it has? (true vintage style, ledgend style) The neck sounds perfect love to try one. Anyone try one?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion