The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-08-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
They just posted a training tutorial to their channel. It’s not as easy as Tone Dexter (but it’s also not hard).
They also seem to imply it’s compatible with all of their pickups. Interesting to see if that includes the Anthems, Mag models, and LB6.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Looks far easier than the Tonedexter. Sitting a phone down in front and recording is about as minimal as it gets. There are scales but you could just do any type of scale I would think.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Looks far easier than the Tonedexter. Sitting a phone down in front and recording is about as minimal as it gets. There are scales but you could just do any type of scale I would think.
That’s true. You don’t have to plug a mic in but the training process itself is more involved.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
That’s true. You don’t have to plug a mic in but the training process itself is more involved.
I was a bit disappointed when the video just ended. I was looking forward to hearing his results!
Old 01-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
They also seem to imply it’s compatible with all of their pickups. Interesting to see if that includes the Anthems, Mag models, and LB6.
I trained with my guitar and a Barbera Soloist.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Doug, this might be an obvious question, but since you have tried the prototype, is this pedal a lot like the Tonedexter or Aura in how it creates a more mic-like tone? I am trying to wrap my head around the concept because in the short demo video, the tone of the second guitar which obviously has the IR applied, doesn't really strike me as being all that mic-like. When you hear the aura applied and especially the Tonedexter, it sounds like a mic in front of a guitar. This Soundscape pedal almost sounds as though it just enhances the tone a bit. I really wonder how well a smartphone mic can capture the nuances of a guitar? It's kind of why I wonder how much better something like this would sound/help:

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88
Old 01-08-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Did you have to accommodate the mixed phase elements during training or were you able to play normally?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-08-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Did you have to accommodate the mixed phase elements during training or were you able to play normally?
The same question came to my mind when I saw Doug's comment about training his Soloist-equipped guitar. Are Soloist-equipped guitars and LB6-equipped guitars trained using the same protocol as a guitar with a more typical pickup?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doug, this might be an obvious question, but since you have tried the prototype, is this pedal a lot like the Tonedexter or Aura in how it creates a more mic-like tone? I
That's certainly their goal. It's actually a bit surprising, when you consider how long their main competitor has had the Aura, that they haven't done this until now. But they've taken a different approach, so there are benefits to waiting. Fishman didn't have an option to leverage the supercomputer that's in everyone's hands now back when they first did the Aura.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just played normally. Incidentally, with the latest ToneDexter software, I also was able to train without worrying about the phase, tho I got better results (sound-wise) after I remembered how I was supposed to do it :-) In the past ToneDexter just sort of got stuck if I played the out-of-phase strings, but it no longer seems to do that.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

For those that say it’s not mic like. We don’t know what they have the blend set to there...
Old 01-08-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
For those that say it’s not mic like. We don’t know what they have the blend set to there...
This is very true, but I have to question an introductory demo video that doesn't have the blend high enough to hear a substantial difference. It will probably sound way better once reviewers get a hold of it but I wasn't blown away. The second guitar sounds great but more so in an enhanced and large way, not so much in the way of a mi-like quality.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 PM

Default New Baggs IR pedal...

Quote:
This is very true, but I have to question an introductory demo video that doesn't have the blend high enough to hear a substantial difference. It will probably sound way better once reviewers get a hold of it but I wasn't blown away. The second guitar sounds great but more so in an enhanced and large way, not so much in the way of a mi-like quality.

I’m one of those people who actually prefers the sound of a pickup/mic blend to just a mic everywhere but on the best studio recordings.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I’m one of those people who actually prefers the sound of a pickup/mic blend to just a mic everywhere but on the best studio recordings.
I am the same. I am just pointing out that in the demo, I can't really hear the Soundscape doing much. I think sometimes in demos it's better to blend in a lot of the mic tone just to show what the pedal is capable of but it's the first video of many so not going to knock them too much. I am legitimately excited for this though.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am the same. I am just pointing out that in the demo, I can't really hear the Soundscape doing much. I think sometimes in demos it's better to blend in a lot of the mic tone just to show what the pedal is capable of but it's the first video of many so not going to knock them too much. I am legitimately excited for this though.
I think the demo is a great stage sound. I would like a video where they go through the full range though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification