The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Any Fellow Celiacs Here?

Just wondering if there’s anyone else here who has celiac disease. Can you share some of your favorite recipes, hints for eating out, common pitfalls, etc.? I’m still very new at this (having been diagnosed in late August) and have accidentally gotten into some gluten a few times and have really paid for it.

Especially given the holidays and feasts that come of it, any pointers are appreciated.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:32 PM

Well, Lynn, no one has replied, so I'll chip in here.
I'm not celiac, but at one point I was worse (if you can appreciate that)! I can't do gluten, lactose, peanuts, yeast, and vinegar was verboten for a while--along with alcohol (which acts as gasoline on a fire for GI people).
A car accident left me with a perforated gut, that went unknown for too long a time (and all kinds of scary doctor stories), until a dietitian started working properly with--my diet. I was to the point where if I didn't eat every 4 hrs. I would be on the toilet (that includes not sleeping thru the night)!
An Elimination Diet was very informative, but arduous--and might be for you, Lynn. Every gut system is different, but there are generalities of suspect foods. It has become very routine to look at EVERY label of food item you buy (there is even gluten in sour cream=mfs; modified food starch). Modified Food Starch and Malted Barley Extract are major culprits, and in EVERYTHING!
In the 19 years since, I've found something that works for me, but I'm pretty certain it will not for celiacs. And in that time there have been so many food producers that have recognized a market (often someone on The Board has a niece or grandchild that is gluten intolerant and says let's address this), so there are MANY food items to be bought that make eating manageable. Most of the Real Food stores (Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc.) have a great selection of GF foods--but it will be expensive; $6 for a loaf of bread! I was always pushing the boundaries in the first couple years (it was SO hard)--and paid for it (as you have found).
Go alcohol free for quite a while--if not for good (I went 4 yrs., now do red wines)--and eat much more protein and vegetables (which of course is a prime healthy diet anyway!), while looking for those items that work for you (cost, taste, availability), and work them into your grocery shopping. (Like Barilla makes GF noodles that are corn and rice; "regular" grocery stores.)
Okay...I'll end here.
I'm happy to answer questions if you want to contact me. (It has happened so often in stores; where an aunt or grandma comes up to me in the GF aisle and her young GF family member is coming to stay and she wants to know "what should I buy?")
You'll make it.

Last edited by Naboz; 12-27-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 12-27-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
Just wondering if there’s anyone else here who has celiac disease. Can you share some of your favorite recipes, hints for eating out, common pitfalls, etc.? I’m still very new at this (having been diagnosed in late August) and have accidentally gotten into some gluten a few times and have really paid for it.

Especially given the holidays and feasts that come of it, any pointers are appreciated.
My wife has Lyme disease. As part of this, she's dangerously allergic to anything gluten. So we've been thru a lot of this, over the years.

Find a farmer that will give you raw milk. Avoid both gluten and anything w/sugar in it. The raw milk will begin to heal your gut. I'll try and get some dietary ideas for you, from my wife, but get onto raw milk and colostrum ASAP.

Good luck.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
My wife has Lyme disease. As part of this, she's dangerously allergic to anything gluten. So we've been thru a lot of this, over the years.

Find a farmer that will give you raw milk. Avoid both gluten and anything w/sugar in it. The raw milk will begin to heal your gut. I'll try and get some dietary ideas for you, from my wife, but get onto raw milk and colostrum ASAP.

Good luck.
Can she eat honey ?
Milk has lactose in it , and that is a difficult item to digest . Commonly called double sugar .
Old 01-03-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Can she eat honey ?
Milk has lactose in it , and that is a difficult item to digest . Commonly called double sugar .
Farm fresh milk straight from the cow shouldn't mess with you. As for honey, good question. I think she can, as we buy it, organic. But sugar, or anything that becomes "sugar" must be avoided, most of the time.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 PM

Both of my daughters suffer from this.

Gluten free food is a must. Organic food only.

That’s easier said than done for many folks due to availability issues and significantly higher cost.

You can thank Monsanto for many of the issues plaguing kids and young adults (especially) today. Their product “ROUNDUP” is a known carcinogen and is what most crops today get doused with for weed elimination.

My youngest daughter is “Glyphosate Girl”. Everyone should follow her blog on how ROUNDUP is killing us. Her website:

www.glyphosategirl.com

Many countries have banned its use, but the USA has not. The Cheerios you are eating today are NOT the Cheerios you bought before the introduction of ROUNDUP! Today’s Cheerios are ROTTING YOUR GUT!

Everyone needs to get on the bandwagon to eliminate this killer. Get smart or die young.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic