The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice

If you get a chance to see this movie, do so. This is an excellent biopic that starts with her as a little girl and goes through today. It is, in fact, based on the autobiography she wrote on her own little laptop, Simple Dreams. It contains lots of discussion from her colleagues and friends and plenty of performance footage as well. I think the biggest thing I came away with was a view of her humanity. My wife enjoyed it as well. Thumbs up!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up Bob.
I've always thought she had a great voice, several songs she's done are, just the best.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile Saw this tonight!

Really great story about one of the finest vocalists ever. I did not realize the extent of her versatility and the breadth of her music.

The first female Rock Star, and capable of singing the most demanding opera and Traditional Mexican music, or anything from the great American songbook.

Easy on the eyes, too!

Worth the effort for sure

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-22-2019, 03:28 AM

My wife and I both really enjoyed the film! She was a very smart and well planted. I had the opportunity to catch her live in the mid 70's and fell in love with her at 15.
Go Linda
Old 09-22-2019, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for making me aware of this - I've seen a book available on amazon, but nothing about a movie.

I have loved Linda Ronstadt's voice and adaptability since - well since she first came to my notice from the Stone Poneys,

to her solo career, her many wonderful collaborations, and the Trio, the Canciones series, and (for me at least) the collaboration with Nelson riddle in the series of American songbook albums were the ultimate proof of her vocal abilities.

It is so sad that talents like Lindas has to suffer the limitations of age and diseases like us common-or-garden folk.

Nevertheless, she has created a great back catalogue, (and she was always so sexy too)
God bless her and may she continue to enjoy life as much as the Parkinsons allows her.

edit : just found this rather nice tribute to Linda :

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 09-22-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

I’m really looking forward to seeing this. She’s kind of a homey. I grew up in the same part of Tucson as she did, went to the same high school as she did, but about 10 years after her. One of my best friends lived right across the street from her family’s ranch, and we used to go smoke weed in the desert in front of their place because it was easy to not be seen - kind of ironic since her brother was chief of police at the time. I was really tight with a couple of sisters who were second or third cousins of her’s, and were also great singers who have had careers in music - they were a big regional act in SE Texas and have a few albums out as “Sisters Morales”. The Ronstadts were just a Tucson institution at the time, they had a big hardware store down that was the local Hime Depo of the time...

Ironically, Linda was so huge around Tucson when I was growing up, I wasn’t really that into her music at the time - that was kind of my guitar-hero stage and that wasn’t the kind of music she did. But she and Jackson Browne and the Eagles used to tour as a triple bill (after the Eagles had stopped being her backup band but before they got really big) and they seemed to play Tucson every several months. They were just always around - didn’t seem like a big deal at the time. I guess I just took it all for granted.

Once I left for college, my musical horizons broadened and I came to really appreciate and love her music and have through her various twists and turns ever since. The Spanish language stuff she sang just sounded hokey and like 100 local Mariachi bands growing up, but once I left I started loving that too. Sisters Morales, my old fiends, also have an album of that music called “Para Gloria” that they recorded to honor their mother as she was dying - it’s one of muy favorite albums.

Anyway, now anytime I see Linda interviewed, it takes me right back home, when Tucson really felt like a small town, when being that close to the border was all positive, with the mix of cultures, food, and music. I haven’t lived in the Southwest since the early 80’s, but I still have good friends there and get out to visit from time to time. It’s always home and now Linda is a big touchstone to that time even though she didn’t mean much to me at the time. Seeing this film will be a real treat.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
The first female Rock Star...
She's one of the greatest ever. Not sure about being the first, though.

Grace Slick 1939
Tina Turner 1939
Carol King 1942
Janis Joplin 1943
Joni Mitchell 1943
Diana Ross 1944
Debra Harry 1945
Carly Simon 1945
Cher 1946
Linda Ronstadt 1946
Patti Smith 1946

Last edited by DukeX; 09-22-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Saw it last night. Well worth the $10.50 (senior discount).

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN