The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-13-2014, 12:31 PM

Smile Octave

Hello everyone! I am somewhat of a beginner in regards to playing the guitar. I am needing to know if anyone can tell me, once you get to the octave of a particular note, (going from the low E to the high E, I know that there is two octaves), what would you call those notes? For instance you have the minor 2nd, major 2nd, minor 3rd, major third, perfect 4th, tritone, perfect 5th, minor 6th, major 6th, minor 7th, major 7th, & of course octave. Not sure if I am making any sense, but going from low E to high E, once you get to the second octave, does it start all over or does it continue to minor 8th, major 8th & so on & so forth? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM

You go to minor 9th/Major 9th, on up the pipe. Octave is the octave.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

It starts all over again... and the starting note (in your example) is called the tonic or the I note...

If you want to make some great progress with your theory, begin to chart out the chords that go with each of the notes in the major scale... that will give you a way to understand chord progressions in any song you choose to play...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBINOGEK View Post
Hello everyone! I am somewhat of a beginner in regards to playing the guitar. I am needing to know if anyone can tell me, once you get to the octave of a particular note, (going from the low E to the high E, I know that there is two octaves), what would you call those notes? For instance you have the minor 2nd, major 2nd, minor 3rd, major third, perfect 4th, tritone, perfect 5th, minor 6th, major 6th, minor 7th, major 7th, & of course octave. Not sure if I am making any sense, but going from low E to high E, once you get to the second octave, does it start all over or does it continue to minor 8th, major 8th & so on & so forth? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
9th follows octave. ("Octave" means literally "8th", and is one of the perfect intervals.)
Basically you add 7 to the simple intervals to make the "compound intervals". minor/major 9, minor/major 10, perfect 11, etc.
http://www.teoria.com/reference/c/comp-simp.php
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM

I really appreciate the info..please keep it coming. .Thanks!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 AM

IMO, you only really need to know about compound intervals in relation to chord extensions.
So, any 7th chord (root-3-5-7) might have a 9th, 11th or 13th added - very rarely all at the same time, because that would be the whole scale! (9-11-13 being 2-4-6 an octave higher.)
The kinds of 9th, 11th or 13th available vary with chord type and context (chord's function or position in the key), and not all are usable, because one or two make awkward intervals with lower chord tones.

E.g., on a G7 chord (G B D F), you could add A (9th), C (11th) or E (13th). The A and E are fine, but the C can sound bad against the lower B. So either you don't use the C, or you leave out the B.
In practice the notes don't have to stack up in 1-3-5-7-9-11-13 order, although the extensions are usually best above the main chord tones. IOW, 1-3-5-7 can go in any order, but 9-11-13 are usually best high up.
In G13, at least, the E works best above the F.

Obviously on guitar, with 6 strings, your shape options for extended chords are limited anyway. Remember you can leave out the 5th of a chord if it helps with the shape for a 9, 11 or 13 chord. But don't leave out 3rd or 7th.
...unless the chord symbol says "add", which means "omit the 7th". Eg, "G9" = G B D F A. "Gadd9" = G B D A.

Chord symbol language is actually a somewhat cryptic shorthand, so you need to know its little ins and outs.
Eg, "Gmaj9" = G B D F# A. The "maj" refers to the raised 7th (F#), not the G chord or the 9th itself - both of which are major by default.
The numbers "9", "11" or "13" in chord symbols refer to the last note added to the stack, so in theory "13" means all 1-3-5-7-9-11-13. But in practice this is almost never the case.
So "G13" could be just G B F E (1-3-7-13), because the 5th and 9th (D and A) are optional, and the 11th (C) is normally omitted.
"G11" probably means G D F (A) C, because B would usually be left out, while A is optional.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:45 PM

sometimes when you see something like a 13 or something a 9th what they are saying is its in the melody or in a horn part so do not conflict with it in your choice of a cord or even a bass run. sometimes its more of what notes you do not play.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoE View Post
sometimes when you see something like a 13 or something a 9th what they are saying is its in the melody or in a horn part
Yes, that's very common.
Extensions don't make a lot of difference to how a chord sequence works - that's down to R-3-5-7 - they're more like embellishments, maybe where the melody (or horn arrangement or whatever) is reaching for an expressive note.

The one place where a 13th (outside of the melody) kind of adds the cherry on the top of a sequence is on a dom7 chord at a cadence. You get one at the end of the bridge on "You've Got a Friend", after the line "don't you let them".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write