The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-11-2002, 07:51 AM

Just curious, everyone who plays in open E, do you actually tune up to the open E or do you tune down and capo the second fret?

I try to avoid tuning up strings past concert pitch, especially with medium strings. I sometimes will tune the B or the high E up a 1/2 step, but I'm also slacking other strings when I do.

So to tune down to open E I would:

Low E - Down 1 full step to D
A - stays
D - stays
G - down 1/2 step to Gb
B - down full step to A
E - down full step to D

then capo second fret.

I also return my guitars to standard after I'm done each time I play in tunings. I change to many different tunings when I practice and I haven't had any problems or need trust rod adjustments and I think it's because I return the guitar to standard to store it. JMHO.....

Later,
Erm
Old 03-12-2002, 10:19 AM

Anybody ever play around with DADGBD? I stumbled on this one the other day. I was wanting to play in DADGAD but fogot to retune the B. It is pretty cool.

2001 710ce
1996 USA Standard Telecaster
1991 Alvarez Midnight Special
1992 Squire Strat
1966 Fender Mustang

"You must cut down the largest tree in the forest with... A HERRING!!!"
Old 03-12-2002, 07:53 PM

check out..looknohands.com/chordhouse...click on advanced...will show you chords and scales in any tuning you care to type into it, very cool.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:56 PM

Kihoalukid:
THAT is a cool and very useful website.Can you download that and use it offline??

Muggy
Old 03-19-2002, 08:09 PM
fretsandstrings

Quote:
Anybody ever play around with DADGBD? I stumbled on this one the other day. I was wanting to play in DADGAD but fogot to retune the B. It is pretty cool.
Teleplayer,
I started using this tuning with "Black Water" by Doobie Brothers, and found it worked with a few more songs. Started investigating, changed the way the mind was wired to my chording hand, and now that's all I've used for the past 8 months or so. Not always better, but usually different. sometimes better. Only problem now is I get confused when playing in standard tuning. (many years of using) So now I'm sort of experimenting with standard tuning again. You see, I'm basically tone deaf, and if I detune/retune alot, someone will surely notice I can't tune a guitar! Hence the search for a nice, easy to use tuner.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell